IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F intake shootout. indep dynos for Injen and AFE Takeda

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-10, 06:11 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm not surprised at all by these results and appreciate the time and effort FIGS put in doing this testing.

Last year on a dyno day my car with the stock intake was putting down roughly 20 more hp than a similarly design open element intake on another IS-F and he was also consistently trapping a few mph slower than me at the strip. He was finally convinced that the open element intake was not making power over the stock design when we did a few side by side pulls whereas he lost consistently as well.

Unless there is custom tuning done to this car and the engine bay heat completely blocked from the intake tract, these open element intake designs are a waste of money unless you are looking for the bling or sound factor.

Same holds true for the IS350 where I tested just about every intake combination.
Old 04-18-10, 06:36 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the time, effort and $$$ you're investing here, Fig. I'm sure we all appreciate that.

Hardly seems fair that you'll be left 'holding the bag' should these intakes 'fall on their faces'.

At first blush, the results are disappointing, but as has been said, may not be conclusive.
The final results will tell all.

Cheers for the effort.

Colin.

Last edited by ISFer; 04-18-10 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-18-10, 07:53 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Did I mention I have two intakes for sale ? working on pics etc.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 04-18-10, 08:43 AM
carlosg
Driver

Figs, maybe a dumm question but did you reseted the ecu before and after each run? If so then we could conclude that the ecu is compensating for the difference and maybe pulling on timming. That could be why only a well designed exhaust will give u true gains since the ecu wont take into. Consideration the improvement in exhaust flow. Just my 2 cents

Last edited by carlosg; 04-18-10 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-18-10, 08:49 AM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

^
Good question.
Old 04-18-10, 08:51 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Well, I'll be dipped My butt dyno is in serious need of calibration I have sold my JoeZ intake But, like I have been saying, my Takeda is not going anywhere. Maybe the placebo effect, or my maybe that slight increase in midrange roar, or maybe I'm just too stubborn to admit I'm wrong. Twenty horses is a lot, but I can't feel it.

Lou
Old 04-18-10, 09:34 AM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

So let me get this straight...basically is seems like the open element designed intakes lost power and the main reason for this is heat soak? Or was there some other reason? When I put in my K&N intake after a couple 100 miles it definately felt like I lost power (no dyno to back this up, just my buttdyno). So I wrapped the crap out of my K&N heatshield and sealed up the intake as much as I could with heat wrap. This made a drastic difference. My car "feels" strong now and the intake is cool to the touch with the heatshield and heat wrap in place. I guess I'm just trying to make sense of why the results are as they came out. I'm anxious to see the stock intake re-dyno after the ecu being properly reset. But anyway, thanks Fig for your time and effort into getting these results..Darshana S...

Last edited by Supraman16; 04-18-10 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-18-10, 10:08 AM
j8123
Driver

Thanks for taking the time to do this comparision. As someone else stated I am not surprised by the outcome. The factory system has a great design.
Old 04-18-10, 10:14 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Figs, thank you again for all the work, money, time and effort you've put into this! I know we all greatly appreciate it The results are extremely interesting and quite surprising. I'm very curious why the results turned out the way they did (the reasoning behind why the numbers are the way they are).

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Well, I'll be dipped My butt dyno is in serious need of calibration I have sold my JoeZ intake But, like I have been saying, my Takeda is not going anywhere. Maybe the placebo effect, or my maybe that slight increase in midrange roar, or maybe I'm just too stubborn to admit I'm wrong. Twenty horses is a lot, but I can't feel it.

Lou
Lou, I couldn't agree with you more man, my butt dyno needs some checking. I'm not sure if I'm going to get rid of the Takeda either, it still feels very strong compared with the other intake setups i've run, very interesting results
Old 04-18-10, 10:53 AM
carlosg
Driver

Originally Posted by Supraman16
So let me get this straight...basically is seems like the open element designed intakes lost power and the main reason for this is heat soak? Or was there some other reason? When I put in my K&N intake after a couple 100 miles it definately felt like I lost power (no dyno to back this up, just my buttdyno). So I wrapped the crap out of my K&N heatshield and sealed up the intake as much as I could with heat wrap. This made a drastic difference. My car "feels" strong now and the intake is cool to the touch with the heatshield and heat wrap in place. I guess I'm just trying to make sense of why the results are as they came out. I'm anxious to see the stock intake re-dyno after the ecu being properly reset. But anyway, thanks Fig for your time and effort into getting these results..Darshana S...
Is not the heat soak, I believe that since ours car are so much electronically monitored by the ECU the excess of airflow through the mass air sensor throws the parameters off the maximum allowed flow therefore forcing the ecu to compensate which it can be done by pulling the timing so the car doesn't lean out.
Old 04-18-10, 12:58 PM
zenbert
Driver

FIGS, thanks much for all the work on the Injen, Takeda, and stock intake shootout.

I was pinging couple of the forum members about air/fuel mixture that stem from loud droning that my wife was giving me grief about. The problem was (somewhat) solved before this thread started.

There's definitely more questions that came out of the experiments.

I'm on stock filter now with the JoeZ elbow and exhaust, and I 'feel' the car is much more responsive at the start-up and lower speed than with the AFE oil filter. I took the AFE filter off as an experiment to see, if I can reduce the droning, which it did but was surprise to feel the car was faster at the takeoff and at lower rpm (<2000).

history for reference:
1. Stock and had AFE oiled filter installed -- feels a tad faster at higher RPM (subjective)
2. Got the JoeZ elbow and exhaust installed at the same time + AFE oiled filter -- love the sound and getting better since 200+ miles, 500+ miles... (the droning was very loud at around 2K rpm)
3. After 500 miles later, swapped the AFE oiled filter out for the stock, reset ECU, and the car's droning at around 2K rpm seems subdued and the growl of the exhaust is really awesome now (subjective). Pickup at lower rpm seemed better--reason it may be a air/fuel mix issue. still gets the small popping in the exhaust (backfire) but far less frequent.
4. For kicks, put the oiled filter back in the car, reset ECU, drove the car for a day between street and highway, confirmed the more significant loudness (droning around 2K rpm really), put the stock filter back and reset the ECU.

I'm thinking about dropping in a AFE dryS filter in the car now strictly to get a better quality filter that I can clean and reuse. FIGS tests suggest to me that we need custom ECU tuning to really take advantage of more air flow...

The exhaust which had been dyno'd and proven to provide more power will stay on the car and is the most tangible/practical mod IMO--both the sound and the additional power boost.

Last edited by zenbert; 04-18-10 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-18-10, 01:12 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Fig, did your MPG come up once the stock filter was put back on?
Old 04-18-10, 05:23 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey zenbert, your problem is the oiled filter. You need to use a dry filter and clean up your MAF sensor. This has been discussed over a year ago when we started trying K&N filters meant for other cars (I believe it was a VW filter).

Thanks a lot Fig for all the time and money spent on this project, this information helps the IS-F community tremendously.

Yesterday I replaced my stock air filter with an AFE dry filter, I don't know if there is an HP difference, if there is I can't feel it. Intake sound is about the same, but the car revs faster, it's more responsive.
Old 04-18-10, 07:26 PM
zenbert
Driver

Originally Posted by Juanca
Hey zenbert, your problem is the oiled filter. You need to use a dry filter and clean up your MAF sensor. This has been discussed over a year ago when we started trying K&N filters meant for other cars (I believe it was a VW filter).

Thanks a lot Fig for all the time and money spent on this project, this information helps the IS-F community tremendously.

Yesterday I replaced my stock air filter with an AFE dry filter, I don't know if there is an HP difference, if there is I can't feel it. Intake sound is about the same, but the car revs faster, it's more responsive.
AAAAAHHHH CRAP!! Didn't mean to resurrect a dead subject. Thanks for the tip Juanca. Going to checkout the MAF sensor...
Old 04-18-10, 09:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,014 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Nice work. Any chance you got an opportunity to do some timed acceleration tests? Yeah, I know everybody likes dynos, but I'm old school. Something about getting screwed many times on buying parts supposed to make more power but don't. So, I'm just curious if you were able to do some 20 - 60 mph runs to validate the dyno showed the truth about what happens in real world service?

Quick Reply: IS-F intake shootout. indep dynos for Injen and AFE Takeda