Search this Thread

Old 04-07-10, 02:00 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Negative....

Here are my results...

Aluminum Hood, Aluminum Brembo Brake Calipers, Aluminum Engine Block & Heads and 19" Forged Aluminum Alloy Wheels

I am sure they are more smaller Aluminum parts found through out the IS-F , but above are the major parts.......

Joe Z
Yep, The ISF body structure is no different that the standard IS. As a matter of fact, it's identical, with no extra bracing or structural rigidity added. I believe BMW and Audi add stiffness to their M and S cars.
Old 04-07-10, 02:06 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Yep, The ISF body structure is no different that the standard IS. As a matter of fact, it's identical, with no extra bracing or structural rigidity added. I believe BMW and Audi add stiffness to their M and S cars.
Well... isn't the IS-F a bit stiffer??

"...by endowing the IS F with a highly rigid body structure loaded with high-strength steel and strategic bracing."

The grayed areas on the image are whats different when compared to a regular IS chasis.

Joe Z
Old 04-07-10, 02:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,972 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Well... isn't the IS-F a bit stiffer??

"...by endowing the IS F with a highly rigid body structure loaded with high-strength steel and strategic bracing."

The grayed areas on the image are whats different when compared to a regular IS chasis.

Joe Z
I just pulled up the '06 New Car Features for the 2IS and the '08 New Car Features for the IS-F. They are as identical as they can be right down to the text. In fact, it appears they copied the drawing from the 06 to the 08 and did a poor scan of the original because the IS-F drawing is grainy with poor contrast compared to the 06 version.
Old 04-07-10, 02:32 PM
VSL-F
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A pic of the rear of the Ferrari California. Hmmm, very similar to the ISF, and yes the stacked "rear diffusers" are not connected to the exhaust!!
Attached Thumbnails I have new found appreciation for the Lexus IS-F-ferrari-2.jpg  
Old 04-07-10, 02:32 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I just pulled up the '06 New Car Features for the 2IS and the '08 New Car Features for the IS-F. They are as identical as they can be right down to the text. In fact, it appears they copied the drawing from the 06 to the 08 and did a poor scan of the original because the IS-F drawing is grainy with poor contrast compared to the 06 version.
With all the creaks I get on body flex compared to the IS350.. I was pretty sure we had a stiffer frame... oh well....

Doesn't make much of a difference with all the FWY driving I do.. LoL

Joe Z
Old 04-07-10, 02:35 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by VSL-F
A pic of the rear of the Ferrari California. Hmmm, very similar to the ISF, and yes the stacked "rear diffusers" are not connected to the exhaust!!
I have a whole list of photos.. now even new Mazdas have similar designed diffusers..

Lets let the Exhaust Diffuser discussion die....
Old 04-07-10, 03:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Anyone still thinking or trashing the ISF exhaust setup would slit their wrists if they saw the Lambo/R8/Ferrari ones.

It's old and lame.

If the IS F had a regular exhaust people would bish Lexus is boring and does nothing different
lol the funny thing is every time someone comes and whine about the exhaust, i point out about the exotics, and i never hear ANYONE even trying to get back to me

weird, i wonder why

back on the isf, i am surprised too, somehow i thought the isf body is strengthened from the isx50, guess not huh? so all the improved handling are purely from suspensions?
Old 04-07-10, 03:58 PM
Damage
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I read that the IS series was based off the GS chassis which was already designed to support a V8 and its associated power. So there was no need for additional bracing. I must say though, the chassis is not stiff enough. My S2K had less body flexing than the ISF.
Old 04-07-10, 05:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Damage
I read that the IS series was based off the GS chassis which was already designed to support a V8 and its associated power. So there was no need for additional bracing. I must say though, the chassis is not stiff enough. My S2K had less body flexing than the ISF.
i have to say though, 3gs v8 setup alone isn't enough for what isf is intended for?
Old 04-07-10, 07:53 PM
USBM2011
Driver

from what i understand Aluminum is, from a metal standpoint, is stiffer than steel? i could be wrong... but from years of riding motorcycles and bicycles, bikes with steel frames ride much less rigid than aluminum, the steel has a lot more flex to it. this could be different from a car i suppose... but my guess would be that the aluminum in the chassis would price the car a lot more expensive, because it is a little harder to work with, and just more expensive in general. i would guess it would bump the MSRP of the car $10-20k .

Alot of Aluminum was used in the Acura NSX, and at the time was one of the best handling cars ever made.

As far as the chassis being identical as the 250, 350, i dont see how that is possible either, it may not list it, on that lexus chassis sketch. the front end has to be changed quite a bit just to fit that motor in the car I would imagine? Im sure there is extra bracing, ect. somewhere in the car.

Also I could be wrong but it looks like there may be some aluminum susp pieces in there somewhere? I looks like aluminum on the top in the front suspension linkage? maybe someone could post a pic.
Old 04-07-10, 09:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,972 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Umm, no, aluminum is much softer and more flexible than steel. A few very hard alloys of aluminum aren't exactly soft, but no aluminum alloy has the strength and service life of steel.

Aluminum fatigues and eventually cracks in ALL cases. Steel does not unless you exceed the elastic limits. Aluminum is hardened by stressing it - called work hardening - and hard aluminum alloys have a shorter service life than softer aluminum alloys.

Your experience with bicycles and motorcycles isn't an apples to apples comparison. I rode the original aluminum frames back in the 70's made by Alan. They were crap. Modern aluminum frames take a lot into account for the material. Still, steel frames are stiffer by quite a good margin. And yes, I have the same experience you do - racing bicycles and motorcycles with aluminum and steel frames.

The old Reynolds 531 with old school Campy Super Record:

The new, aluminum & carbon fibre with Dura Ace 9 speed:

Yes this aluminum frame is stiff, but not because it's aluminum. It's stiff because the tubing cross section takes full advantage of aluminum's lightness. The steel bike steers better because it's stiffer for sure.

The only big piece of aluminum on the IS-F is the steering knuckles and the rear suspension knuckles. The rest of the car and suspension is steel, and it's not a bad choice at all for what they're trying to achieve.
Old 04-07-10, 09:21 PM
USBM2011
Driver

i guess im wrong then, Ive always had the experience that an aluminum frame is stiffer and more brittle, a more harsh ride, where as steel will "give" a little.
Old 04-08-10, 05:11 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by matadorBP2

As far as the chassis being identical as the 250, 350, i dont see how that is possible either, it may not list it, on that lexus chassis sketch. the front end has to be changed quite a bit just to fit that motor in the car I would imagine? Im sure there is extra bracing, ect. somewhere in the car.
We're talking "body structure" only, like the body shell posted above. It's been reference in every magazine the ISF has ever been tested in, that, the body structure has not received any additional bracing or structural enhancements over the standard IS. It is also stated by Lexus that the chassis on the IS (not necessarily the ISF) is derived from the GS (longer wheelbase). The GS chassis has been designed from day one to accommodate a V8.
Old 04-08-10, 08:23 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Technically speaking from the Firewall back, the IS-F body is identical in dimensions as a regular ISx50..

From the Firewall forward the IS-F Body & Chassis is different.. They did not drop the V8 into a basic 2IS chassis which was original designed for the V6's only in the front.

This is coming from a super reliable source I know in the industry...

Edit:
Also for those of you who didn't know, the rear axles on an IS-F are longer by approx. 1/4 of an inch.......

Which is mainly why a nice aggressive wheel that fits perfectly on the rear of ISx50 (with out fender shaving), does not fit on an IS-F perfectly unless the fender lip is shaved away....

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 04-08-10 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-08-10, 08:45 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

This man speaks the truth.

Javier

Quick Reply: I have new found appreciation for the Lexus IS-F