IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

No C63 4 Me

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-10, 11:36 AM
niko14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by juice14
I drove a C63 AMG with the optional upgrade for suspension (Thats what the salesman said). IMO it handled really well, I was surprissed. I have to drive one with regular suspension to tell a difference.
It was probably the AMG Track-Calibrated Suspension System. I think its the AMG performance plus package for like 6k more gives you a better suspension, 30+ hp, limited slip dif and some other goodies. with that add on, the dam thing is in the mid to high 70k mark. Not worth the $$$.
Old 04-10-10, 11:48 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Took a drive in the c63 from my most recent youtube video two weeks ago. Without the extra weight of my GF and her Luggage i was able to get a win by about half a car.

After riding in the car i was amazed at the differences. Im not a fan of MB interior so nothing surprised me there. But the way the car felt Full Throttle was completely amazing. Plenty of torque and the stock exhaust has a really great tone. Ive raced a few other Isf (most recently a JoeZ Intake/Exhaust one in texas) and can conclude that the speed just isnt in our favor. Isf is a better car IMO... But the C63 is damn fast for out little niche.
Old 04-11-10, 09:49 AM
weaponX
Driver School Candidate

Before I test drove the IS-F I was 98% sure I was going to get the C63.

Surprisingly, it was actually a C63 owner who suggested that maybe I should check out the Lexus cause he had a buddy who owned one and was raving about the mileage (relatively speaking) that it was getting. I was 2 days removed from spending a couple of hours test driving the C63 and the MB salesman was so sure I was gonna get the C63 that he told (dared me actually) me to test drive the IS-F and make a comparison.

The C63 actually weighs 150-200 lbs less than my M5 but it felt like I was driving a car that weighed 300 lbs more and you get a sense that it doesn't like to change directions quickly. The suspension was super-stiff (methinks it had the perf. pkg + LSD)....even more so than the F and while the flat-bottom steering was a nice touch the interior trimmings were generally cheap-looking. The nav screen was a disgrace.

The 6.3L engine is as good as advertised but then again you pay the price in gas mileage. I was not terribly impressed that after a couple of hours of driving it appeared as if it was getting the same mileage as my V10, which gets one of the worst mileage of any sedan. Not a big deal if what you seek is a stoplight king but for a daily driver it's a big deal. After 3+ years of putting gas on the V10 I don't have the stomach to keep doing it for another several years.

The shifts in the AMG on manual mode was only fractionally faster than the Bimmer SMG but not in the same class as the F.

Finally, I know looks are entirely subjective and I believe in eye-of-the-beholder thing (confirmed by some of the wheels you guys try to put on the F ), but I think the C63 is not that attractive (bordering on plain). Benz is still putting 18-in wheels on them for goodness sakes.... . The 19-in European wheels on the C63 is 100x more attractive and transforms the car dramatically, but then you have to special order them from MB parts department for an additional $6-$7K.
Old 04-11-10, 11:28 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by weaponX
Before I test drove the IS-F I was 98% sure I was going to get the C63.

Surprisingly, it was actually a C63 owner who suggested that maybe I should check out the Lexus cause he had a buddy who owned one and was raving about the mileage (relatively speaking) that it was getting. I was 2 days removed from spending a couple of hours test driving the C63 and the MB salesman was so sure I was gonna get the C63 that he told (dared me actually) me to test drive the IS-F and make a comparison.

The C63 actually weighs 150-200 lbs less than my M5 but it felt like I was driving a car that weighed 300 lbs more and you get a sense that it doesn't like to change directions quickly. The suspension was super-stiff (methinks it had the perf. pkg + LSD)....even more so than the F and while the flat-bottom steering was a nice touch the interior trimmings were generally cheap-looking. The nav screen was a disgrace.

The 6.3L engine is as good as advertised but then again you pay the price in gas mileage. I was not terribly impressed that after a couple of hours of driving it appeared as if it was getting the same mileage as my V10, which gets one of the worst mileage of any sedan. Not a big deal if what you seek is a stoplight king but for a daily driver it's a big deal. After 3+ years of putting gas on the V10 I don't have the stomach to keep doing it for another several years.

The shifts in the AMG on manual mode was only fractionally faster than the Bimmer SMG but not in the same class as the F.

Finally, I know looks are entirely subjective and I believe in eye-of-the-beholder thing (confirmed by some of the wheels you guys try to put on the F ), but I think the C63 is not that attractive (bordering on plain). Benz is still putting 18-in wheels on them for goodness sakes.... . The 19-in European wheels on the C63 is 100x more attractive and transforms the car dramatically, but then you have to special order them from MB parts department for an additional $6-$7K.
nice write up man! unbiased yet still holds true to the facts. the gas mileage does suck on the c63, but it is a pretty solid car (if one does not mind paying for gas often). the 18-in wheels doesnt suit the car IMO, but rarely do I see any on the roads with stockies. i guess in the end, your MB salesman lost out on commission for daring you to choose otherwise.
Old 04-11-10, 12:26 PM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AAM6906
i have n '09 g37 and the number 1 thing i hate is the torque, i constantly have to mash the throttle to go anywhere!! lol, thats why im getting an f too
My butt dyno might need to be calibrated, but my M3 gets going pretty well even from a dead stop. Granted, it won't set you back in the seat from a stop like the F will, however it pulls pretty well anywhere north of 4k. I definitely don't feel like I have to give the car excessive amounts of throttle to get brisk acceleration. Hell, I can set the throttle sensitivity to one of three settings to get whatever feel I want.

Yesterday I drove my father-in-law to the Chevy dealership to test drive a Camaro SS. We drove both a stick and automatic. The thing that surprised me was the SS felt slower than my M. I figured the significant torque advantage would make the Chevy feel faster, especially from a dig. My father-in-law was the first to comment that the M felt faster so it wasn't just me. He ended up buying a SS anyways because it reminded him of the '69 he had when he was a kid. Plus, he is a Chevy guy.

I'm not trying to talk you out of an F. I enjoyed the one I had very much. I would just suggest you drive everything you think you might like before buying. All of these cars have their pluses and minuses. You just have to figure out which one fits you better.
Old 04-11-10, 09:51 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AAM6906
i have n '09 g37 and the number 1 thing i hate is the torque, i constantly have to mash the throttle to go anywhere!! lol, thats why im getting an f too
dont do it bro,, I had a 08G37 with the gen 3 stillen intake and greddy ti-c exhaust and upgraded y pipe,, jumped into a IsF and still wasnt happy with the torque.. honest to god,, if you look even at specs,, a G37 does high 13s in the quarters and the IsF calls for flat 13s,, its a difference but not that big big of a difference.. My G37 did 13.6@104mph while the IsF did a 13flat @ 110mph Not that big of a difference... Not hating on either car just didnt want you to make that $20k mistake.. lol
Old 04-11-10, 10:15 PM
niko14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
dont do it bro,, I had a 08G37 with the gen 3 stillen intake and greddy ti-c exhaust and upgraded y pipe,, jumped into a IsF and still wasnt happy with the torque.. honest to god,, if you look even at specs,, a G37 does high 13s in the quarters and the IsF calls for flat 13s,, its a difference but not that big big of a difference.. My G37 did 13.6@104mph while the IsF did a 13flat @ 110mph Not that big of a difference... Not hating on either car just didnt want you to make that $20k mistake.. lol

The ISF has 100 lbs-ft of torque over the G37.I recently drove a friends and instantly felt a huge difference in missing torque during the drive. He stated his 1/4 mile is low 14's and 0-60 is low 5's. 100% stock expect for hi flow air filter.
Old 04-12-10, 08:50 AM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Good choice!!
Old 04-12-10, 11:37 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Refreshing to read straightforward and unbiased comments coming from an MB owner!

As with most of the other F owners, I also looked into the C63. I couldn't imagine getting like 9mpg even if I didn't daily drive it. That just seems wrong.

Not to change the topic, but I actually think the m3 sedan looks just as good as the coupe, but in a different way. The coupe is sleek, but the sedan looks like it's on steroids.
Old 04-12-10, 12:15 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

This is an extremely informational thread, some information about the C63 i'd never heard before (I never looked at it when I was in the market for the F due to massive problems I've had with previous Benz's). Great information and write ups
Old 04-12-10, 06:41 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually had tried to buy a C63 before my F. Unfortunately, MB couldn't get within 4-5 months of when I needed delivery. I still think it's a great car and would have been just as happy as with my F.
Old 04-13-10, 06:40 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by niko14
The ISF has 100 lbs-ft of torque over the G37.I recently drove a friends and instantly felt a huge difference in missing torque during the drive. He stated his 1/4 mile is low 14's and 0-60 is low 5's. 100% stock expect for hi flow air filter.
Bro, I kid you not,, I did a 13.6 on my g37 automatic!!! and my isf did a 13.0 flat on the same track... I sold my G37 to my buddy and I raced him at Atco one night and he nailed a 13.7 while my f did a 13.1 on the run we did together,, Dont get me wrong,, the F is indeed faster but not that that much faster.... Its one thing if you compare a toyota echo to a Lexus Is350,, yeah, then that would be a huge jump in speed,, but not when its about .6 differences in the quarters Like I said,, not hating on either car,, just wanna warn a fellow member its not worth the big loss in his car trade-in value and the bumped up car payment for the F if he is looking for "torque"