IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

No C63 4 Me

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-10, 04:54 PM
niko14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow No C63 4 Me

I went to the benz dealer looking to replace my S500 with something newer. So i took the opportunity also test drive the C63. By myself The C63 was not on my list to drive before i purchased my ISF, so i have always wondered if the C63 is a better car based on all the reviews.

Here are my thoughts of c63:
Pros
Monster Torque Love IT
Navi able to use while driving
Sound of exhaust

Cons
Felt too HEAVY you can tell the dam thing weighs 2 tons!
Handling was so so - I was all over the road when i took some quick turns.
SPEEDSHIFT tranny was ok but the ISF is much quicker.
Seating SUCKED. Hard as a rock. My butt fell asleep.
Cheap *** Interior. I have owned many different MB in the past and this by far is the worst! Felt cheap.
The window sticker was $70k with all the same options as my ISF.

Overall felt like i was driving a refined dodge viper. I really can't understand why any car magazine would rate the C63 above the ISF and now i have no regrets the ISF is a much better car. The 0-60 time might be better than the ISF, but that's where it ends.

Last edited by niko14; 04-09-10 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-09-10, 06:21 PM
eXstasy
Rookie

Thanks for your review. I feel that you are a credible source since you actually own a Benz.
Old 04-09-10, 06:51 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

good choice!
Old 04-09-10, 08:02 PM
niko14
Driver School Candidate

Yes i own an 02 S500 and a 04 SL500 both great interiors. Also, have owned a few C/E series in my time. The only thing the c63 has is straight line acceleration, the rest of the car was very disappointing.A loaded E550 is 1000X better buy, which i'm considering to replace my s500 with.
Old 04-09-10, 08:33 PM
chwang1973
Rookie

Was M3 on your list?
Old 04-09-10, 09:02 PM
Ekorre
Rookie

i really think some car mags need to revisit the ISF....it really feels like many of them shortchange the ISF when giong head to head w/ the M3, and C63. often these reviews consider them all on a track...

BUT if I buy this ISF, Im not going to be buying it so I can use the damn thing on a track, you want a track car, BUY A GT3, buy a LOTUS...its ridiculous that how a car performs on a track is what they use to say its a 'better' car, or at least weight that aspect the most...

<end rant>
Old 04-09-10, 09:53 PM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

I absolutely love my F and agree with Ekorre about the tests they do on the track. I think the F is the bang for the buck when considering the daily driver. Aside from the few rattles I have and hoping the dealership can fix, I have no complaints with the F.
Old 04-09-10, 11:08 PM
niko14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chwang1973
Was M3 on your list?
Yes it was and i drove it 4 times, because i thought it was going to be my obvious pick. Why i didn't choose an m3???

1) the M3 coupe is sexy!!! period!!! No contest! BUT the sedan doesn't do it for me. Liked the ISF sedan look better. I needed a sedan.
2) the flat torque curve makes the car just blahhh. Don't feel like taking my car to 7k to make it move.
3) interior is bland. Interior is better than C63 but again for spending 70k it still was lacking.
Old 04-10-10, 12:41 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by niko14
Yes it was and i drove it 4 times, because i thought it was going to be my obvious pick. Why i didn't choose an m3???

1) the M3 coupe is sexy!!! period!!! No contest! BUT the sedan doesn't do it for me. Liked the ISF sedan look better. I needed a sedan.
2) the flat torque curve makes the car just blahhh. Don't feel like taking my car to 7k to make it move.
3) interior is bland. Interior is better than C63 but again for spending 70k it still was lacking.

I couldn't agree more with your #1 answer! M3 coupe is dead sexy but the m3 sedan vs. the IS-F, Ill take the IS-F in a heartbeat!

Welcome to the IS-F ownership group!
Old 04-10-10, 12:48 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good choice my friend!
Old 04-10-10, 04:20 AM
owistev
Driver School Candidate

Nice! Got any pics? I was torn between the ISF and the M3 as well.
Old 04-10-10, 08:35 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,954 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Some of us are concerned about track performance because we need a sedan to keep the wife happy but still want to have fun with the car.

I have a problem which makes tracking the Supra not possible, so having a paddle shift car is also an essential. The F is getting it done for me.
Old 04-10-10, 09:28 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

the m3 coupe does look nice, but personally the previous generation was much more stylish in my opinion. my choices were between the m3 (coupe and sedan), the IS F, and the C63 AMG. all came out relatively around the same time, but what drew me to the F was that M and AMG were already out there. people had them, people knew about them. as rare as it is, even in southern california, the F still makes a strong statement. the luxury of a lexus and the race inspired technology under the hood was more than enough for me. i felt the interior was much more sophisticated yet still sport-like in the F, much more than what I can say about the newer m3 or c63. add that with NO gas guzzler tax and the fact that fully loaded is still lower than either of the other cars with less options.

my mom came from many bimmers back in the day, and pushed me towards the m3. dad, on the other hand, liked the idea of the C63 because of its styling and that it was a MB. being different yet still have a sweet ride, being able to turn heads either at a traffic light or at WOT, being able to be complimented by car enthusiasts and the hot ladies (a girl randomly decided to hug me right before i got in my F...didnt know who she was, but wasnt complaining one bit!), and being able to purchase a lexus as my first big purchase during jr/sr year in college (parents and i co-bought a 92 es300 used shortly before high school ended)- all i can say is that lexus did a remarkable job with the IS F. though many car magazines bash it for the four exhaust tips (still unique in my opinion), the rigid ride quality (not too harsh but nice for a high performing ride), and the brake dust (see the rims on the M and AMG- they're just as bad if not worse), in the end lexus made a vehicle that was best suited for ME. others will have their preferences, and thats perfectly fine. once i got in the F, it was no looking back!
Old 04-10-10, 10:37 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove a C63 AMG with the optional upgrade for suspension (Thats what the salesman said). IMO it handled really well, I was surprissed. I have to drive one with regular suspension to tell a difference.
Old 04-10-10, 11:22 AM
AAM6906
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by niko14

i have n '09 g37 and the number 1 thing i hate is the torque, i constantly have to mash the throttle to go anywhere!! lol, thats why im getting an f too

Quick Reply: No C63 4 Me