IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone else get a call from the dealer on gas pedal recall?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-10, 07:01 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL, good one!

Originally Posted by j8123
Thanks for the information. I think I will pass on letting them touch the car. I will just get a copy of the recall and put it in my glovebox incase I get pulled over for speeding.
The following users liked this post:
UCrazyKid (08-04-17)
Old 04-14-10, 07:19 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by flipside909
There's really not much difference. There is more distance between the pedal and the floor with the new pedal. Of course there is more clearance. Pedal operation feels the same. Most people wouldn't even notice the difference. It's a very subtle change.
Hey Ryan,

Can you tell US if it is just the simple physical pedal swap??

&

Is the pedal pivot point internals re-worked liked the Toyota's were??

and finally,

Is there truly any type of Software upgrade, that everyone has been talking about??

I know the Lexus IS hasn't suffered from the sticky pedal problem..
It's been mainly the wrong type and/or improperly installed Floor Mat that has created this mess...

Thanks
Joe Z
Old 04-14-10, 07:47 AM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the new pedals installed as well when I took my car in for an oil change. Pedal action feels the same to me. I did notice that my radio stations were lost, although I'll check again to see if I accidentally hit FM2. I reinstalled my all weather floormats after getting the new pedal installed.
Old 04-14-10, 12:30 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

^^Did they mention anything about a software fix outcaster or did they just install the new peddle for you?
Old 04-14-10, 03:18 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i had this done on my car when I went in for service. I didn't agree on it but they said they had to do it, I argued for about 5 minutes and gave up. They told me that power braking the car is useless now with the ecu or software update. the gas pedal I didn't care as I hardly felt any difference on it.

Last edited by Evil Teo; 04-14-10 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-14-10, 03:49 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so.. they do update software?? hm.. i dont know if i wanna take my car to the dealer now..
Old 04-14-10, 04:09 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

A change of the pedal and the pins behind it automatically require reprogramming of the ECU thus allowing the car to come to a stop when the gas and brake are pressed at the same time. This according to my neighbor who is a Lexus technician.

Side note: He said that his dealership is filling up gas tanks after the fix so drop your car off with no more than 1/4 gas tank.
Originally Posted by n0th1ng
so.. they do update software?? hm.. i dont know if i wanna take my car to the dealer now..
Old 04-14-10, 04:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,989 Likes on 2,414 Posts

Sounds like Lexus will never see my car again. No left foot braking? It will ruin the car for track work.
Old 04-14-10, 05:08 PM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
^^Did they mention anything about a software fix outcaster or did they just install the new peddle for you?
I checked my radio again, I accidentally hit FM2. So doesn't look like it got reset. They did not mention any software update. All they did was replace the pedal cover I believe and give me a full tank of gas.
Old 04-14-10, 05:53 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Cool

They also updated your ECU. They couldn't have just changed your pedal cover without performing the software update. At least you got a full tank of gas :/
Originally Posted by OutCaster
I checked my radio again, I accidentally hit FM2. So doesn't look like it got reset. They did not mention any software update. All they did was replace the pedal cover I believe and give me a full tank of gas.
Old 04-14-10, 06:22 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

its not like i do left foot breaking everyday. but i would like to know i can use it if i want to...
its probably safer for me to drop it off and get it serviced but.. idk.. not feeling it yet..
Old 04-14-10, 09:07 PM
niko14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
i had this done on my car when I went in for service. I didn't agree on it but they said they had to do it, I argued for about 5 minutes and gave up. They told me that power braking the car is useless now with the ecu or software update. the gas pedal I didn't care as I hardly felt any difference on it.
I have to take my car in for a few minor items. I don't understand that they have to do it? Did they refuse to do your other service ??? I'm asking my attorney to look into this for me.
No way in hell I'm approving them touching my pedal. My thought is i will have my attorney draft a letter stating that the dealer has no right to touch the pedal and sue them if they do
Old 04-15-10, 08:55 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

I'm still waiting for clarification on this..

Would be great if we got a copy of the LSB "Lexus Service Bulletin" posted in here..

Any one have the LSB bulletin number from their work order??

We can then pull that up and see what exactly is being done.

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 04-15-10 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-15-10, 09:16 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Here is the old remedy report from Oct 2009 regarding the IS Model line.

Eventhough it doesn't mention the "F", we are part of the IS Line-up.

Originally Posted by TOYOTA MOTOR NA, INC.

Summary:
TOYOTA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2004-2010 PASSENGER VEHICLES. THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL CAN GET STUCK IN THE WIDE OPEN POSITION DUE TO ITS BEING TRAPPED BY AN UNSECURED OR INCOMPATIBLE DRIVER'S FLOOR MAT.

Consequence:
A STUCK OPEN ACCELERATOR PEDAL MAY RESULT IN VERY HIGH VEHICLE SPEEDS AND MAKE IT DIFFICULT TO STOP THE VEHICLE, WHICH COULD CAUSE A CRASH, SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH.

Remedy:
TOYOTA FILED AN AMENDED DEFECT REPORT ON NOVEMBER 25, 2009, STATING THAT DEALERS WILL MODIFY THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL AND, ON CERTAIN VEHICLES, ALTER THE SHAPE OF THE FLOOR SURFACE UNDER THE PEDAL. THESE CHANGES ADDRESS THE RISK OF PEDAL ENTRAPMENT DUE TO INTERFERENCE WITH THE FLOOR MAT. REDESIGNED ACCELERATOR PEDALS WILL BECOME AVAILABLE BEGINNING IN APRIL 2010 AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE ANY MODIFIED PEDAL WITH THE NEW PEDAL IF DESIRED. ALSO, DEALERS WILL REPLACE ANY GENUINE TOYOTA OR LEXUS ALL-WEATHER FLOOR MATS WITH REDESIGNED ALL-WEATHER MATS, OR REPURCHASE THE PREVIOUS MATS FROM OWNERS WHO DO NOT WANT THE NEW ONES. ADDITIONALLY, SOFTWARE MODIFICATIONS WILL BE INSTALLED ON CAMRY, AVALON AND LEXUS ES 350, IS 350 AND IS 250 MODELS THAT WILL ENSURE THAT THE BRAKE OVERRIDES THE ACCELERATOR IN THE EVENT BOTH BRAKE AND ACCELERATOR PEDALS ARE APPLIED. TOYOTA WILL BEGIN MAILING LETTERS TO OWNERS IN DECEMBER 2009.
- Joe Z
Old 04-15-10, 09:33 AM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

eww.. software modification to CAMRY, AVALON AND LEXUS ES 350, IS 350 AND IS 250 MODELS THAT WILL ENSURE THAT THE BRAKE OVERRIDES THE ACCELERATOR IN THE EVENT BOTH BRAKE AND ACCELERATOR PEDALS ARE APPLIED....

thanks for the info Joe Z...

Quick Reply: Anyone else get a call from the dealer on gas pedal recall?