IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone else get a call from the dealer on gas pedal recall?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-10, 09:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,064 Likes on 2,461 Posts

I'm thinking about this turn. If the throttle were to cut dramatically at this point, I'll be touring the sand pit. I'd be more than a bit pissed off. Roebling is in my back yard.
Old 04-19-10, 11:32 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I left my car this morning at the dealer for warranty work (tach needle and touchscreen). While doing the paperwork I told my service advisor that I was aware of the pedal/throttle recall, even though I had not received the letter yet. She confirmed that my car was going to be updated, so I said:
- I do not want this update, I want to opt out.
She asked why. I said:
- I understand the story behind the recall and I agree with it, but I don't agree with applying it to all cars. In this case one solution does NOT fit all. For a performance car like the IS-F, this update kills the soul of the car. Take a look at other cars in this class, do you think that BMW with the M3 and MB with the C63 will kill the throttle if you use the brakes? I don't think so.
She said that I had the right to decline the update and that she will make sure that it's clearly stated in the paperwork that she offered it and I declined it.

Well, I'm driving a loaner, I don't know yet if my car will be ready today, but just in case I left the ODBII port covered with my little sign pictured above.
Old 04-19-10, 12:40 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Good info!
Old 04-19-10, 01:28 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info Juan, nice to see that they respected your decision. Keep us updated on the needle and screen
Old 04-19-10, 05:42 PM
Nautique
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, the smokey burnout is confirmed as not being a problem. I kept it in first gear and worked it up to 4K or so. No issues... Plenty of rubber fog.

I can appreciate, however, that the software update could be problematic on a track that isn't a dragstrip. Maybe my SA is misinformed given what I have read elsewhere in this thread, but he said the override kicks in above 16 mph...if it matters.

Even so - I'm stuck with it now, and I don't like the tiny new gas pedal!
Old 04-19-10, 05:53 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had it done to my car today. I wasn't crazy about the pedal either, until my service adviser lined it up with the old one and I saw it wasn't that much smaller.. I was a bit worried my foot might slide off the pedal, but not an issue.

I never drive with two pedals so the software update won't affect me.

Finally, they replaced my old all-weather mats, that was kind of cool (I'll probably sell them as I picked up Weathertech's last winter).
Old 04-19-10, 07:52 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, the car is still at the dealer but according to the sales advisor (talked to her late this afternoon) this is the status:

TACH NEEDLE: the whole instrument cluster will be replaced, they don't replace just the needle.

TOUCHSCREEN: they confirmed that the unit (ML system) doesn't work in my car. The next step is trying a unit from another IS-F, if that one does work, then it's confirmed that the unit was faulty. At that time they will order a whole new ML system, not just the screen. On the other hand if the unit from the other IS-F doesn't work in my car, then it's something else that they'll have to find out.

In the meantime I'm stuck with a boring ES350.

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
Thanks for the info Juan, nice to see that they respected your decision. Keep us updated on the needle and screen
Old 04-19-10, 08:43 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Juanca
In the meantime I'm stuck with a boring ES350.
LOL. I hear you.

As much as I know my 01 GS430 was a great car it was freaking boring to me.

Originally Posted by Nautique
FWIW, the smokey burnout is confirmed as not being a problem. I kept it in first gear and worked it up to 4K or so. No issues... Plenty of rubber fog.

I can appreciate, however, that the software update could be problematic on a track that isn't a dragstrip. Maybe my SA is misinformed given what I have read elsewhere in this thread, but he said the override kicks in above 16 mph...if it matters.

Even so - I'm stuck with it now, and I don't like the tiny new gas pedal!
Great INFO.

As what the bulletin said, the burnout is not affected.

As far as the brake and gas at the same time, it will kick in only if the throttle is over 33% and if the gas is pressed before the brake, in addition to being over 16 or so MPH so I think it is also be a NON issue specially as you are braking first then feeding throttle second while powering out of a corner.

Last edited by Autobacs; 04-19-10 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-19-10, 10:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,064 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs
LOL. I hear you.

As much as I know my 01 GS430 was a great car it was freaking boring to me.

Great INFO.

As what the bulletin said, the burnout is not affected.

As far as the brake and gas at the same time, it will kick in only if the throttle is over 33% and if the gas is pressed before the brake, in addition to being over 16 or so MPH so I think it is also be a NON issue specially as you are braking first then feeding throttle second while powering out of a corner.
I think you're wrong about that.
Old 04-19-10, 10:17 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

No problem. We'll find out one way or the other.

One down (as far as the burnouts go), one to go.
Old 04-19-10, 10:40 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the great info Juanca. Now i feel safe to return my car to lexus dealer for some other warranty stuff

Last edited by n0th1ng; 04-19-10 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-19-10, 10:55 PM
GSE21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No way, I'm keeping my F the way it is - nothing wrong with it thank you very much.
Old 04-20-10, 12:09 AM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont have a ISF but i feel i can contribute to the discussion at hand. I went in for my 30k service today, i dont pay for oil changes so its okay for me. First thing my service advisor did when i made the appointment was look up to see if my car needed the recall done. She said that i needs the brake override and the new pedal. She also said I would get a free tank of gas so to go in with a empty tank.

I decided to tell her in person that I didnt want the recalls. I get to the office and say I dont want the brake override or new pedal. She looks at me like im crazy. She said that they have to do it for safety reasons and blah blah blah, then she asked why I didnt want it. I wanted to say "IM TOO BADASS FOR A NANNY" but the only thing that came out of my mouth was "I dont like the feeling".

She then called a car from the back to show me the gas pedal and so i can see how "its the same, just an inch shorter". I look at the pedal and step on it twice and said "ummmmmmmm, no". She called someone on her radio thing and asked what to do if a customer refuses the recall (i believe im the first at my dealer to decline it). They even tried to bribe me by reminding me that ill get a free tank of gas. I said no and she sent me to loaners. I noticed she wrote on my service paper to get my recall done but then crossed it out. Hopefully she took it out the computer too... I should be getting my car back tomorrow and will tell you guys if they did it even though i said no or what.

So I guess if you go to the dealer and they keep pushing it, say no?

Although, what if they did do the recall? Would it be possible to refuse the car and demand them to reflash the ecu without the override?
Old 04-20-10, 12:11 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Autobacs
Just making sure everyone has read the official Lexus override document.

"Brake Override System" pdf file, in my same Official LSB post #40 in this thread...

Brake Override System operates when these conditions are met:
1) The throttle opening is greater than 1/3
2) Vehicle speed is above 5 mph
3) Brakes are applied firmly
4) The accelerator pedal must be pressed before the brake pedal.

Regards,

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 04-20-10 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-20-10, 12:50 AM
infinus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That document Joe Z posted said that if you dont like the new pedal a replacement pedal will be offered but it said nothing about the brake override being undone so I'm curious if that is even possible to undo after being performed?

Quick Reply: Anyone else get a call from the dealer on gas pedal recall?