IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone else get a call from the dealer on gas pedal recall?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-10, 07:23 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Joe, I guess all the people using a throttle control system will meet the 1st. condition, right?
Old 04-20-10, 08:41 AM
Reciprocal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the service advisor(s) who want to get argumentative over your refusal to permit the brake pedal override:

"I own the car, not Lexus, not you. And it's my opinion this fixes a problem that does not exist. I don't want it, don't do it. Are we clear?"
Old 04-21-10, 11:21 AM
Reciprocal
Driver

If this issue matters to you, I suggest you voice your opinion by calling Lexus Customer Service 1-800-255-3987 Ext 2 (for recall information)

Lexus is stating that they are implementing a brake override system on the IS-F even though they are confident no defect exists in the ECU that would lead to unintended acceleration. They will install a brake override system to provide an extra measure of confidence.

I explained that this contradiction gives me no confidence at all!

Q: Can I opt out of the recall?

A: Yes I can, by clearly stating my intention to the service advisor before each service visit.

Q: What if the override system has already been installed, can it be undone?

A: No, it cannot. What's done is done.

Q: Why can't the override system be user selectable just as vehicle stability control can be disabled?

A: The government is requiring that all vehicles be equipped with a brake override system.

Q: But they have not required this on all vehicles. Mercedes Benz, BMW and Audi do not have this.

I stated that I am very unhappy about this development, and without a more satisfactory outcome than to have an unrestorable, undefeatable fix installed, I may opt out of the brand.

That's basically all I can do. I'm just one person. If you care about this, I suggest you voice your opinion as well.
Old 04-21-10, 11:34 AM
Reciprocal
Driver

Your opinion does matter. And one of the dangers of passively remaining sidelined I illustrate in some hypothetical scenarios.

1.) New firmware supersedes old ones.
2.) Juanca takes his car to have the instrument panel replaced, and tells his service advisor not to reflash the ECU. He gets a call back, "Juan unfortunately to register the new instrument panel to the ECU so that the correct mileage and calibrations are present, we will have to reflash the ECU. Since Lexus only provides us with the most up to date firmware that incorporates all the latest fixes for your safety and comfort, putting in the brake override fix will be unavoidable.
3.) Lobuxracer takes his car in because his transmission is slipping and skipping. The service advisor tells him, "We cannot determine if the problem is coming from the clutches or the ECU. The technician will need to reflash the ECU in order to diagnose the problem and make the repair. Unfortunately, we will not be able to avoid installing the brake override system with this firmware."
4.) Engine misfire...same thing.
5.) Climate control malfunction...same thing.
6.) Register TPMS sensors for new wheels? Who can say no?

Last edited by Reciprocal; 04-21-10 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-21-10, 11:51 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Based on Joe Z's post regarding what is actually being changed, I don't really have a problem with it. I understand and respect those who do not want their Fs touched. For me, the question is, how does this change affect my driving experience? The answer is, it doesn't. So it's more of a hassle for me to have to keep declining it, rather than just getting it done and have my car "up-to-date" sort of speak.
Old 04-21-10, 12:45 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

^
Agree.

It would only and maybe an issue for me if I was a professional racer and spending 99% of my car's time on the track which it is not.

Based on Joe Z's technical bulletin I do not think it is even an issue.

The Burnout scenario (lack of after mod) has already been debunked.

Having said that I fully respect all who think and feel they do not want this mod done.
Old 04-21-10, 08:09 PM
carlosg
Driver

After reading this Thread, I want to comment on the fact that I know someone who has an IS-F just like mine, the guy told me that he was in an accident were he rear ended another car, that his F didn't braked all thou he pressed them hard. I imagined at the moment that he was probably going really fast and he messed up, all thou this guy has gone to many driving schools and has done his share of circuit racing. I must admit that knowing how good our brakes are after reading this thread probably the guy was telling the truth, I'll tell him about the recall because his repair was about $6,000.00.
Old 04-21-10, 10:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,989 Likes on 2,414 Posts

I bed in brakes with one foot on the brake and the other on the gas. Even at 80 mph with the throttle floored, the car slows quickly when you apply the brakes hard. Your friend isn't telling the whole story...
Old 04-22-10, 01:34 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Just making sure everyone has read the official Lexus override document.

"Brake Override System" pdf file, in my same Official LSB post #40 in this thread...

Brake Override System operates when these conditions are met:
1) The throttle opening is greater than 1/3
2) Vehicle speed is above 5 mph
3) Brakes are applied firmly
4) The accelerator pedal must be pressed before the brake pedal.

Regards,

Joe Z
Based on that info, would YOU have it done if needed? I don't know. I kinda like the idea of fewer nannies if possible. I know to push into Neutral or hit the start/stop button if the gas pedal got stuck. Thoughts?
Old 04-22-10, 07:38 AM
Reciprocal
Driver

Found under "additional details" in the .pdf

- During greater accelerator pedal application, the Brake Override System activates with ANY brake pedal pressure.

Translation: You're on the gas, you bump it, you lose.
Old 04-22-10, 09:21 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good scenarios, lucky me I haven't received any call from the dealer saying that they need to proceed with the recall update in order to fix the issues my car is having.

For me it's not only the update, it's the new pedal as well. I don't know how many of you guys have seen it, it's very small and the bottom section is kind of a diamond shape, I don't like it at all. I told my SA that I don't use AWM in Miami and that I have the original IS-F carpet mat, so I don't need the pedal update. Let's see what happens, I might be getting my car back later today.

Hey Lobux, are you having problems with your tranny? I am so I'd like to know what's happening to yours.

UPDATE: I just received a call from my SA and my car won't be ready today, maybe tomorrow. She said that the instrument cluster is not in yet, they'll get it tomorrow morning. Something really interesting (this is for you Reciprocal) is that when they order the instrument cluster they have to provide the mileage, the instrument cluster is shipped programmed already.

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
Your opinion does matter. And one of the dangers of passively remaining sidelined I illustrate in some hypothetical scenarios.

1.) New firmware supersedes old ones.
2.) Juanca takes his car to have the instrument panel replaced, and tells his service advisor not to reflash the ECU. He gets a call back, "Juan unfortunately to register the new instrument panel to the ECU so that the correct mileage and calibrations are present, we will have to reflash the ECU. Since Lexus only provides us with the most up to date firmware that incorporates all the latest fixes for your safety and comfort, putting in the brake override fix will be unavoidable.
3.) Lobuxracer takes his car in because his transmission is slipping and skipping. The service advisor tells him, "We cannot determine if the problem is coming from the clutches or the ECU. The technician will need to reflash the ECU in order to diagnose the problem and make the repair. Unfortunately, we will not be able to avoid installing the brake override system with this firmware."
4.) Engine misfire...same thing.
5.) Climate control malfunction...same thing.
6.) Register TPMS sensors for new wheels? Who can say no?

Old 04-22-10, 09:46 AM
Reciprocal
Driver

Originally Posted by Juanca
Hey Lobux, are you having problems with your tranny? I am so I'd like to know what's happening to yours.
No...I just used him to make a hypothetical case. Your case on the other hand, was real.

She said that the instrument cluster is not in yet, they'll get it tomorrow morning. Something really interesting (this is for you Reciprocal) is that when they order the instrument cluster they have to provide the mileage, the instrument cluster is shipped programmed already.
You haven't even got the part yet and they've already put 40,000 miles on it!
Old 04-22-10, 05:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,989 Likes on 2,414 Posts

I'm not having any gearbox issues. Tested it just today with a 240SX who though all he needed was a turbo. Not quite. Working just fine!
Old 04-23-10, 10:42 AM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

After dropping off my car for an oil change this morning they said that by law they are required to address the recall. According to the SA, failure to do so could result in 100% liability for them and strict government sanctions if I become injured or cause any fatal accidents with the general public. SO I had no choice after all and ok'd the fix. :/
Old 04-23-10, 10:43 AM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where did you take urs? i'm gonna make sure i'm not gonna go there.. haha

Quick Reply: Anyone else get a call from the dealer on gas pedal recall?