IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone else get a call from the dealer on gas pedal recall?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-10, 11:18 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,911 Likes on 1,347 Posts

Originally Posted by OneSiCkF
SO I had no choice after all and ok'd the fix. :/
Actually you did have a choice - You could have left. I certainly would have.

Lou
Old 04-23-10, 11:23 AM
Reciprocal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OneSiCkF
After dropping off my car for an oil change this morning they said that by law they are required to address the recall. According to the SA, failure to do so could result in 100% liability for them and strict government sanctions if I become injured or cause any fatal accidents with the general public. SO I had no choice after all and ok'd the fix. :/
Actually you had several choices.

1.) Call Lexus Customer Service 1-800-255-3987 Ext 2 (for recall information) and to voice your displeasure.

2.) Opt out of the recall with the service advisor. Lexus (at the number above) says you can do that. Your service advisor merely won the battle of wills.

3.) Explain that if they don't respect your wishes, you will have your service and ownership experiences somewhere else, and state so on the customer satisfaction survey.

4.) Or...don't take it to Lexus.
Old 04-23-10, 11:36 AM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Lexus of Beverly Hills.
Originally Posted by n0th1ng
where did you take urs? i'm gonna make sure i'm not gonna go there.. haha
I figured it's a safety issue and dont plan on driving my car on track anyway so opted on getting the fix. The only displeasure is the funny looking smaller gas pedal were getting. I dont like it.
Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Actually you did have a choice - You could have left. I certainly would have.

Lou
As mentioned above my only displeasure from this ordeal is the fact that theyre changing the gas pedal to a smaller one. Other than that I'm ok w/any safety enhancements/updates. I'd just thought I'd share my story with those who wish to go around the safety recall.
Originally Posted by Reciprocal
Actually you had several choices.

1.) Call Lexus Customer Service 1-800-255-3987 Ext 2 (for recall information) and to voice your displeasure.

2.) Opt out of the recall with the service advisor. Lexus (at the number above) says you can do that. Your service advisor merely won the battle of wills.

3.) Explain that if they don't respect your wishes, you will have your service and ownership experiences somewhere else, and state so on the customer satisfaction survey.

4.) Or...don't take it to Lexus.
Old 04-23-10, 03:01 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ES3
Based on that info, would YOU have it done if needed? I don't know. I kinda like the idea of fewer nannies if possible. I know to push into Neutral or hit the start/stop button if the gas pedal got stuck. Thoughts?

NO..... but that's just my opinion...

I have had 2 new Lexus' since 2007

The only time the cars saw the dealer techs, were during "PDI" = Pre Delivery Inspection.

Regards,

Joe Z
Old 04-23-10, 03:59 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

After writing to my Lexus dealership (Stevinson Lexus of Lakewood Colorado), I received the following exceptionally courteous reply from the service manager. I don't know if it's okay to give out his name, I'd be honored to do so, but respectful of his privacy I should not.

I appreciate your position and you are more than welcome to decline the recall. The next time you bring your vehicle in for service, we will ask that you sign a statement saying that you were informed and understand what Lexus is doing and that you have declined to have the procedure performed. Obviously because this is a Safety Recall, Lexus has asked us to determine why the remedy is being declined and to make sure guests are fully aware of the entire procedure. During your next visit please forgive us if we spend just a few minutes with you going over the process per Lexus’ request and answering any questions you may have, however there will be no pressure to have the recall performed. Please contact me if you have any additional questions in the meantime, otherwise I’ll make a note in your file regarding this subject.

Thank you,

Service Manager

Stevinson Lexus of Lakewood

(303) 277-9339

(303) 279-7428 (fax)

Old 04-23-10, 04:16 PM
threeputt
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Very professional response, it would appear he has been doing this job for a while and has an understanding of the situation. Great to see, well done to him.
Old 04-23-10, 05:54 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Thank you.

Now nobody has a reason to get paranoid about having a mod done against anyone's wishes if you so state.
Old 04-23-10, 06:45 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

I agree with that.

But I think the brake pedal override should be defeatable when "VSC OFF" is selected.

This is the only car Lexus makes (currently) that has the option for switching VSC off. You already assume responsibility any time you switch it off.

I would take that a step further, that I believe in accepting personal responsibility any time I get behind the wheel.

Remember, this isn't a case of a manufacturer issuing a recall because of a defect. Lexus specifically states this is "for added driver confidence." When you fix things that are not broken, I don't get confidence from that, moreover the uncertainty of it becomes an additional distraction.

It's inconsistent logic to trust you to switch off VSC but not trust you with the brake and gas pedal when used together, or for the system to be trying to outguess or outsmart your intentions, whatever they are, for the instances of using the brake and gas together.

I couldn't care less about smokey burnouts. What I don't want to be thinking about, is that a decision to tap on the brakes while exiting the corner under power, could chop the power and send me looping into the gravel trap. Is it likely? Probably not terribly, but I don't want to be thinking about it at that critical moment. The distraction will command its own attention, and it's unnecessary.
Old 04-24-10, 01:20 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is how my SA explained everything to me, and I signed the statement declining the update. It was at Lexus of North Miami.

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
After writing to my Lexus dealership (Stevinson Lexus of Lakewood Colorado), I received the following exceptionally courteous reply from the service manager. I don't know if it's okay to give out his name, I'd be honored to do so, but respectful of his privacy I should not.

I appreciate your position and you are more than welcome to decline the recall. The next time you bring your vehicle in for service, we will ask that you sign a statement saying that you were informed and understand what Lexus is doing and that you have declined to have the procedure performed. Obviously because this is a Safety Recall, Lexus has asked us to determine why the remedy is being declined and to make sure guests are fully aware of the entire procedure. During your next visit please forgive us if we spend just a few minutes with you going over the process per Lexus’ request and answering any questions you may have, however there will be no pressure to have the recall performed. Please contact me if you have any additional questions in the meantime, otherwise I’ll make a note in your file regarding this subject.

Thank you,

Service Manager

Stevinson Lexus of Lakewood

(303) 277-9339

(303) 279-7428 (fax)

Old 04-26-10, 09:32 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

I have my car back and confirmed, per my request they didn't do the pedal/ECU update.
Old 04-30-10, 03:52 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Juanca
I have my car back and confirmed, per my request they didn't do the pedal/ECU update.
Glad to hear that Juanca...esp since you have your whole ECU flashed and programmed right???

Well...I'm still confused about this whole thing. Are most of you guys declining doing this? Seems like it.....
Old 04-30-10, 06:32 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

^^^ Hey ExclusivIS, you're right about my concern, the ECU update would have killed my ECU flash, but it wasn't my only concern. As people have stated before, that update would have become another nanny and I don't like them. As soon as I get into my car I turn VCS completely off and go into SPORT mode, so having that brake update and not being able to disable it would be annoying for me. Finally the tiny pedal looks ridiculous.
Old 04-30-10, 06:59 AM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
Are most of you guys declining doing this? Seems like it.....
I didn't. I don't care about a slightly smaller pedal that i've never noticed because of my big feet anyways. With a wife and baby on board, safety first.

Btw, I've noticed NO difference in performance. Then again I didn't take it to the track to prove it, nor will I.
Old 04-30-10, 11:43 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Juanca
^^^ Hey ExclusivIS, you're right about my concern, the ECU update would have killed my ECU flash, but it wasn't my only concern. As people have stated before, that update would have become another nanny and I don't like them. As soon as I get into my car I turn VCS completely off and go into SPORT mode, so having that brake update and not being able to disable it would be annoying for me. Finally the tiny pedal looks ridiculous.
For your car I 100% respect your decision in its own case, but seems also like the majority of normal F owners were declining. I personally just was at the dealership today and declined to have it done. Apparently the pedal is suppose to be the same size but with just the bottom corners cut off...but when I saw it they just looked way smaller

I declined not to have this done, not because I track my car, drag it, or drive it crazy..but because I didn't feel the need for them to mess wit my car if there's really nothing wrong with it. If anything they should be calling us to give us some damn dust free pads (That'll be the day!)

Originally Posted by malujerry
I didn't. I don't care about a slightly smaller pedal that i've never noticed because of my big feet anyways. With a wife and baby on board, safety first.

Btw, I've noticed NO difference in performance. Then again I didn't take it to the track to prove it, nor will I.
The pedal looks so tiny tho! How do u not???

I still respect ur decision. I may get it done down the line, if there are good things to be said about it. Or if something were to ever happen, to put the car in neutral
Old 04-30-10, 12:19 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

ExclusivIS: I'm due for my 10k and I'm going to get it done then.

Quick Reply: Anyone else get a call from the dealer on gas pedal recall?