IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone else get a call from the dealer on gas pedal recall?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-10, 05:59 PM
j8123
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else get a call from the dealer on gas pedal recall?

Got a call today from my dealer that I need to take the car for a recall on the gas pedal assembly. He said they just received information this week that the IS-F will be part of the recall effecting other Lexus cars and trucks. He mentioned that they have to repin the pedal to fix a possible problem. I was wondering if anyone else has received this phone call?
Old 04-13-10, 06:12 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually received a letter from Lexus Canada informing me of a recall last month. However, when I called the dealership (my F is booked in for regular maintenance this weekend) and asked them to look after the recall, I was informed that the letter was just a pre-recall notice and that they had not received the necessary software.

The letter had talked about a "gas pedal reconfiguration" but the dealer stated its likely only going to be a software update for the drive by wire tech.
Old 04-13-10, 06:24 PM
j8123
Driver

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I actually received a letter from Lexus Canada informing me of a recall last month. However, when I called the dealership (my F is booked in for regular maintenance this weekend) and asked them to look after the recall, I was informed that the letter was just a pre-recall notice and that they had not received the necessary software.

The letter had talked about a "gas pedal reconfiguration" but the dealer stated its likely only going to be a software update for the drive by wire tech.
Huh, I asked him exactly what they were going to do to the car and he said basicly they need to replace a pin in the gas pedal. He didn't mention anything about a software update.
Old 04-13-10, 06:43 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by j8123
Huh, I asked him exactly what they were going to do to the car and he said basicly they need to replace a pin in the gas pedal. He didn't mention anything about a software update.
Now let me be clear, my dealership still doesn't know fully what the remedy is going to be...lol.

However, I don't see how it's possible to correct this issue without a software update. My understanding is that the software update corrects the drive by wire issue so that if the brake and gas pedal are pressed simultaneously it will stop the car.

Even if they replace the gas pedal pin they would still need to update the software, no?
Old 04-13-10, 06:52 PM
j8123
Driver

Now let me be clear, my dealership still doesn't know fully what the remedy is going to be...lol.

However, I don't see how it's possible to correct this issue without a software update. My understanding is that the software update corrects the drive by wire issue so that if the brake and gas pedal are pressed simultaneously it will stop the car.

Even if they replace the gas pedal pin they would still need to update the software, no?
I would rather not have the engine stop if I hit the gas pedal and brake at the same time. So, if that is part of their solution I will not being bring the car in for the recall. I will call them and discuss this week when I have a little time.
Old 04-13-10, 08:15 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,911 Likes on 1,347 Posts

Anyone of you want this abortion on your F Not me

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ort-pedal.html

And the software update - Never In a Million Years!

Lou
Old 04-13-10, 08:42 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Before Recall: Gas Sport Pedal

After Recall: Gas Sport Pedal (from member "1pureis")

My F never sees the dealership... So im not woried....

The length seems the same. Just shaved the edges a bit...

BUT, I am not sure if there were any internal enhancements to how the pedal operates up above at the pivot point....

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 04-13-10 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-13-10, 08:46 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

^^Same here, Joe! I got both a a letter for the "precautionary/voluntary recall" as well as a message left by my Lexus dealership saying that it is highly recommended that I bring my F in for inspection. I would've considered it if they hadn't dont such a shoddy job when I took it there for my one (and only) visit for TPMS and the personalized settings.
Old 04-13-10, 09:01 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the pics Joe! They help put the fix in perspective!

I'm curious of any software fixes...and I'm slightly concerned I haven't gotten a call yet
Old 04-13-10, 09:05 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ Neither have I and I'm not really worried at the moment......

Joe Z
Old 04-13-10, 09:33 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If this software update is true, then it defeats the performance nature of the IS-F. At the track I'm sure many people use the gas and brake pedal at the same time, this update would kill fast cornering.
Old 04-13-10, 09:37 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

There's really not much difference. There is more distance between the pedal and the floor with the new pedal. Of course there is more clearance. Pedal operation feels the same. Most people wouldn't even notice the difference. It's a very subtle change.
Old 04-14-10, 03:08 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Got the same letter (Ont.)
C.
Old 04-14-10, 06:35 AM
j8123
Driver

Thanks for the information. I think I will pass on letting them touch the car. I will just get a copy of the recall and put it in my glovebox incase I get pulled over for speeding.
Old 04-14-10, 06:38 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

To those of you that have them, don't forget to remove any throttle controller that you may have installed prior to getting the recall installed.

Quick Reply: Anyone else get a call from the dealer on gas pedal recall?