IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Recalibrating ML screen

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-10, 01:17 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You have to hold the clear code button for a full five seconds to actually clear the codes.
Ah ok I'll go do that! Thanks so much for your help.
Old 04-18-10, 05:44 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks aesthetk1, weird enough my problem started trying to adjust the A/C, just like in that other thread.

Originally Posted by aesthetk1
I am having that same problem with my IS350 check out my other posts for details
Old 04-19-10, 01:57 AM
debosteebo
Driver School Candidate

Default same problem

i had this same problem and researched days on it. unfortunately i was unable to find a solution and had to purchase a new navi core for 800$. I did notice that a commonality of people having this issue was that they just recently replaced their car batteries within the past couple months and majority are 06 model owners.

The dealership made it sound like this was an extreme low frequency problem.. but as the i lurk around this forum recently i notice that more and more people are experiencing this issue.

i do also recall that my navi did happen to start working normally for ~2 hrs one day but went back to the faulty state soon after.

temporary workaround will be to use your voice-assist commands.

lastly, dont bother dissembling your nav unit to eject your nav cd to upgrade/downgrade to a different version....its not going to help...(i tried going from ver5.1 to 9.1). Plus it will make your region setting default to the northeast region of the United States which will make your navi experience much much more frustrating.

Last edited by debosteebo; 04-19-10 at 02:04 AM.
Old 04-20-10, 07:33 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

UPDATE:

I got a call this morning from my service advisor and she said that my screen was indeed defective. A new whole ML unit has been ordered and my car should be ready by late Thursday or early on Friday. What are my chances of getting the upgraded ML system with the new generation GPS?
Old 04-20-10, 10:14 AM
yemgi
Pole Position

none I would think, the looms are different they would have to change more that the head unit
Old 04-26-10, 09:40 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

My car is back, the same ML unit, not the new one. Everything is back to normal, the touchscreen works OK again.

One big problem though: for people using an iPhone, there is no way to transfer the contacts, they have to be entered manually one by one. I had to go through this nightmare in 2008, and now I have to do it again!!!
Old 04-27-10, 01:19 AM
infinus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Juanca
My car is back, the same ML unit, not the new one. Everything is back to normal, the touchscreen works OK again.

One big problem though: for people using an iPhone, there is no way to transfer the contacts, they have to be entered manually one by one. I had to go through this nightmare in 2008, and now I have to do it again!!!
Yeah thats my least favorite part of the system. I only put in 4 numbers cause I was too lazy.
Old 06-29-10, 12:10 AM
HHF
Driver School Candidate

Juanca -

It seems that I am having the same problems that you had described w/ your navigation on a 2006 IS350. I'm not using any hacks but I did replace the batt a few months ago. Since, for your case, the dealer trip worked - what exactly did they do / or say what was wrong that was causing the issue? Any info would be great. Thanks.
Old 06-29-10, 06:45 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

HHF, I was there when my local dealer was troubleshoting the screen and nothing worked for them, I mean the whole unit was fine except the screen. They ordered a new screen and replaced the defective one (they took the unit apart to replace it, so I kept my old unit). It took them a week to accomplished this together with the faulty tachmeter needle, so I had a loaner for that long.

Weird that it happened to you after replacing the battery. In my case I was going out for lunch at the office and when starting the car up I felt like a power surge, everything went down before my car crancked, after a second try everything was OK except for the screen, I guess the power surge fried it. Good luck with yours.
Old 07-01-10, 07:03 PM
HHF
Driver School Candidate

Juanca -

Thanks for the info. Dang - it sounds that I'll have to make a trip to the dealership myself. Of course, I'm looking to resolve this issue as "cost effective" as I can. It's a bummer that something like the nav would have this kind of annoying defect (not to mention the partially dimmed tach needle, I got that too).

Just to clarify, I've mentioned the battery thing only because it was an interesting observation that someone else had made earlier. After thinking about it, my defect occurred Tues., changed my battery around feb / march - so I don't think the battery change had anything to do with this issue. My defect is exactly like you posted on your video. The touch screen itself seems to work but only reacts to one location (e.g. press it on the bottom, it reacts like you press it on the right). Except mine stays on the caution statement (you known where you have to press I agree). I think later Lexus models briefly show the caution statement then goes to the navigation screen. Some of my other menu screen are accessible. Coincidently, mine happened when I turned on my car to go home after work. I didn't notice any surge or anything, everything turned on like normal (except I can't select I agree to remove the caution window). Anyway, I've been looking around and heard a few people talking about a "reset" disc that would (as you can guess) reset the system. I haven't tried unplugging the batt yet, but, like you pointed out, I don't think that would work either since my saved map points were still intact after I changed my battery (even though all of the radio and regional settings had to be re-inputted). I hope I don't have to buy a new unit (since my warranty is up) so I'm hoping something like a reset or cut the power to reset the unit will resolve this issue. I'm going out on a limb but I think it's a software issue for the nav.

Sorry the long story but I thought I should post this in case anyone is experiencing the same problem. Thanks again.
Old 07-01-10, 07:56 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Definitely you need to visit the dealer and request a quote. In my case they replaced the screen only, and according to your description I think that's what you need too. I tried disconnecting the battery, removing fuses, unplugging the whole navi, but nothing fixed the problem. Good luck!
Old 01-15-11, 03:06 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but the NAV screen has this exact problem now. This is for a 2008 ISF, 39k miles.

Taking it to the dealer next week.....

Besides Juanca, anyone else have their touchscreen fail like this?

This is a quick video that I took to show the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q65ENLCF_8
Old 01-26-11, 06:34 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

^^^ Did you get it fixed? What was the diagnostic? In my case they had to take the whole unit apart and replace the screen.
Old 01-27-11, 09:41 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Got the car back yesterday, took 9 days since the part is not regularly stocked, they replaced the digitizer screen only, not the entire NAV console.

Just hope it never fails again, because, although the screen itself can be replaced DIY, it doesn't seem like the part can be easily ordered. I have 11k miles remaining before the 4yr/50k full warranty is reached.

^^^ Did you get it fixed? What was the diagnostic? In my case they had to take the whole unit apart and replace the screen.
Old 01-28-11, 10:45 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Update:

Upon reinstalling the NAV override module from Prestigious Society, It looks like the entire module for the LCD screen was replaced, not just the digitizer screen itself. I noticed it because the "metal case," where the LCD screen is connected to, has new barcode stickers and ink stampings that I rubbed off previously.

If the touchscreen fails again in the future, I would imagine the cost would be quite high once it's out of warranty.

Originally Posted by itsmike177
Got the car back yesterday, took 9 days since the part is not regularly stocked, they replaced the digitizer screen only, not the entire NAV console.

Just hope it never fails again, because, although the screen itself can be replaced DIY, it doesn't seem like the part can be easily ordered. I have 11k miles remaining before the 4yr/50k full warranty is reached.

Quick Reply: Recalibrating ML screen