IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Some HELP with Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-10, 04:28 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Some HELP with Alignment

Need some skoolin on alignments for our cars...

Just some background info...I have gotten one alignment done on my F after the coilovers were put on. Had this done at the dealership, and they told me I was pretty close to factory spec. (Even they were surprised for a lower car) Since I've got my works on, I have not touched or went for any kind of alignment. Im guessing there would be no difference going from the BBS 19" to an aftermarket 19" wheel, but what about when upping the diameter and going to 20's?

Should I go have another alignment done? And if so with 20's, what specs should I tell them to get closest to? Factory spec? Or what?

OH..just 2 add...-The car's been driving fine for me, and no problems with pulling to one side. I guess it's more about correct wear on my tires now.

THANKS!!!
Old 04-28-10, 06:43 AM
houstonT
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exclusiv - use the search feature, there really is no alignment adjustment on the ISF.
Peter
Old 04-28-10, 12:31 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
Need some skoolin on alignments for our cars...

Just some background info...I have gotten one alignment done on my F after the coilovers were put on. Had this done at the dealership, and they told me I was pretty close to factory spec. (Even they were surprised for a lower car) Since I've got my works on, I have not touched or went for any kind of alignment. Im guessing there would be no difference going from the BBS 19" to an aftermarket 19" wheel, but what about when upping the diameter and going to 20's?

Should I go have another alignment done? And if so with 20's, what specs should I tell them to get closest to? Factory spec? Or what?

OH..just 2 add...-The car's been driving fine for me, and no problems with pulling to one side. I guess it's more about correct wear on my tires now.

THANKS!!!
Changing the diameter of your wheel (whether bigger or smaller) will NOT change your alignment.

If your current alignment is ok then you do NOT need another alignment if you change the diameter (only) of your wheels.

If you go for a wider width and rubbing is an issue, then you either increase negative camber or roll your fenders to fit them.
Old 04-28-10, 01:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs
Changing the diameter of your wheel (whether bigger or smaller) will NOT change your alignment.

If your current alignment is ok then you do NOT need another alignment if you change the diameter (only) of your wheels.

If you go for a wider width and rubbing is an issue, then you either increase negative camber or roll your fenders to fit them.
It will change your suspension geometry and may require you make adjustments to compensate. Changing diameter and offset affects scrub radius and might cause unusual wear issues you'll need to counter with non-standard alignment.
Old 04-28-10, 05:02 PM
trackdood
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It will change your suspension geometry and may require you make adjustments to compensate. Changing diameter and offset affects scrub radius and might cause unusual wear issues you'll need to counter with non-standard alignment.
totally correct.. and the dealer cant do that...
Old 04-28-10, 07:37 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Changing your wheel diameter alone with the appropriate reduction in tire size so that your overall diameter will not change will NOT change your camber, your toe in/out, nor your caster so both of you are incorrect as far as it changing suspension geometry with no mention of offset change.
Old 04-29-10, 03:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs
Changing your wheel diameter alone with the appropriate reduction in tire size so that your overall diameter will not change will NOT change your camber, your toe in/out, nor your caster so both of you are incorrect as far as it changing suspension geometry with no mention of offset change.
Agreed, but nobody does this. Better still, try to find aftermarket wheels with the standard offsets for the F. I've looked high and low - they don't seem to exist. The OEM offsets aren't fashionable, so getting wheels off the rack to fit correctly is impossible.

How many guys on this forum alone use narrower tires to stretch over wide rims so they can have "aggressive" offsets (whatever that means) and "stance" without any regard for what it does to their suspension geometry?

How many guys are running 245s in front and 275s in the back? No one makes a tire in these widths with the same rolling diameter as the stock setup.

So, yes, you are right, if the rolling diameter and the offset are the same as the OEM setup everything will be fine. Unfortunately, it's not possible to do this in the real world without fully custom wheels.
Old 04-30-10, 03:37 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aright so after speaking to a bunch here, Ive come to conclusion that I'm good and if my cars not giving me any issues not to mess with alignment of it.