IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New mirror teaser shot

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-10, 03:14 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by IceIridium
haha yeah it was a lot of work getting these on, much more than I anticipated. It took some particularly genius thinking by my buddy who helped me install to get it working properly.

It does everything my original mirrors did: Autodim, heat, etc... Puddle lights are still there (now with super-bright v-led bulbs!) No autofold because they're USDM mirrors. I bought them both brand new in box, factory painted. (And no, I didn't pay anywhere near retail for them. )

I wish I can take better pictures but the car's dirty as heck and can't wash cus it's raining everyday lately... so just the teaser pics for now. Better pics coming soon! But imo it really adds to the look of the car, far more than I expected it would. And the chrome bit goes well with the polished "blades" of my wheels.

Here's another teaserish pic:

i like this mirror alot, b/c it has turn signal, how much did you pay for them?
Old 05-04-10, 07:09 PM
Damage
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IceIridium
haha yeah it was a lot of work getting these on, much more than I anticipated. It took some particularly genius thinking by my buddy who helped me install to get it working properly.

It does everything my original mirrors did: Autodim, heat, etc... Puddle lights are still there (now with super-bright v-led bulbs!) No autofold because they're USDM mirrors. I bought them both brand new in box, factory painted. (And no, I didn't pay anywhere near retail for them. )

I wish I can take better pictures but the car's dirty as heck and can't wash cus it's raining everyday lately... so just the teaser pics for now. Better pics coming soon! But imo it really adds to the look of the car, far more than I expected it would. And the chrome bit goes well with the polished "blades" of my wheels.

Here's another teaserish pic:

Nice. Thanks for the info. I like that it's factory painted. But would they have starfire pearl? That's not a color offered for the regular IS's if remember. Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking?
Old 05-05-10, 04:03 AM
andrewshu3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^^ would like to know as well..pm me please?
Old 05-05-10, 09:07 AM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You also drive a Honda Fit eh?

Advantages of having a clean black car haha

Looks good man!
Old 05-06-10, 02:09 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If your color is not available factory for the '09+ ISx50 then you'd need to buy a different color and have it painted to match.

For those interested, here's the full story behind this "This will be so easy!" project...

I was lucky enough to come across a brand new driver side OEM 09+ IS mirror w/turn signals on ebay. It just happened to be in my colour, and the price was good. So it was more or less an impulse buy that started this project.

Originally I thought I could just swap the front and rear housing over from the +09 mirror to the IS-F mirror, then just add the two wires per the instructions for the aftermarket IS turn signal mirrors. I wasn't even 100% certain yet the mirrors are the same size, although I suspected they were.

They turned out to be the same size alright, but it wasn't going to be as easy as swapping the housings over. It turns out the +09 mirrors with the turn signals has a totally different shaped inner bracket to accommodate the extra space needed for the new housing. The housing with the turn signal housings will not fit over the original mirror bracket. So no quick housing swap.

No biggie right, I'll just have to remove the entire mirror and replace it with the new one. So no problem. Size was the same, and the base was the same. That's the important part. Since I couldn't find a passenger side mirror on ebay (didn't expect to), I called up Sewell to get a price on the passenger side +09 mirror. That's when they told me there was a difference between auto-dimming and non-dimming mirrors. The price difference was about $150 per side. So I figured it's just two more wires I have to add and splice into. And the wires should be already in the doors. It'll be easy. So I went for the non-dimming one, which apparently is what I bought from ebay for the driver side anyway.

The mirrors get here, and I'm excited to get them installed. I called up my friend for help just in case anything unexpected comes up that's beyond my expertise. We take the door off, and remove the original mirrors. As expected, there are two harnesses on the auto-dim version instead of the one on the non-dimming version. No problem. Just find the extra wires and splice in.

... wait... there are 5 extra wires?! But there are only two extra wires going to the actual mirror. And the harness plugs into a box, so no wires to splice into either! without a wiring diagram, we have no idea which wires are which. The project seems to be dead, and I've just wasted about $520 on the two mirrors.

Fortunately, my friend took a closer look at the mirrors while they're both apart, and somehow figured out a way to remove the whole motor assembly and everything else inside from the bracket (it's not just screwed in there, I couldn't have figured it out myself). He test fitted the motor from my original mirror to the bracket of the new mirror, and it fits! So he suggested if we swap all of the internals, we can get it to work. Unfortunately, that means cutting every single wire on the harness in order to remove the wires loom from the original mirror (the hole is way too small to get the plugs through), and re-soldering every wire back and heat shrinking them after being swapped over.

So, a lot more time and brain cells were spent on this project then anticipated. However, a lot of money was saved as well. The easy way to do this of course, is to order the proper auto-dimming mirrors. Then all you'd need to do is to wire up the extra wires for the turn signals. In fact, you wouldn't even have to run the wires into the mirrors themselves because they'd already be wired. Just need to splice at the mirror plug. Of course, you're looking at $730 per side retail (Sewell's cheaper of course, and just fyi Canadian retail is $1200 EACH!!). So essentially you're looking at a $1460 set of turn signals, or what my friend calls, earrings for my car.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that unless the perfect set of circumstances came along, I probably would not do this again. But for what I spent, I'm very glad to have them on my car.
Old 05-06-10, 02:15 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh, and I'll save everyone the trouble....

tl;dr.