IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Tuning Options.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-10 | 01:36 PM
Obiwan
Driver School Candidate

Right but that's the whole point! Superchargers and Turbo chargers are doable, but with no form of engine management control you are at the mercy of the factory EMS which is always going to revert to it's own Air Fuel and timing regardless of seeing manifold pressure.

The Can Bus systems are very hard to work with as you are not dealing with just one ECU but a series of computers that constantly communicate with each other. The best you can do is an inline piggy back and the NEW HKS F-con V-Pro version 3.3 which has Can Bus support may and may not be able to do anything. I haven't tried it yet but am looking into it as I type this. With EMS support then forced induction becomes THE only real way to make decent power gains with our cars. Same thing we had to deal with when modding the IS-300's many moons ago.

I'll continue my research and get back to you all on this when I have more time. However it's only a matter of time until we figure it out just like the early days of the Supra's when we were testing the waters and learning everything the hard way, lol.

-Ben
Old 05-13-10 | 02:13 PM
Splat
Lead Lap

The only option right now is a piggyback AEM F/IC-8 and so far only elite has been able to come out and show actual gains with the turbo system and using it!
Old 05-13-10 | 02:43 PM
Obiwan
Driver School Candidate

If the AEM can do it via piggy back then an HKS IS or Vpro 3.3 should be able to do so as well.

Timing and Air Fuel mapping is absolutely crucial for any forced induction fed Normally aspirated vehicle. The IS-F being no exception. So to run forced induction without it is pure insanity in my opinion and more boost with more safety is the name of the game with proper mapping.

It's even possible that you might lose some power at certain boost levels, but be able to run more boost, and more safely. When you pull back the factory timing you will lose some power but gain safety, longevity, lower EGT's, and a lot more.

So the gains part is relative to what the overall picture is. You can always make more power by sacrificing safety and longevity. However as a Pro tuner who has been doing this for over 14 years world wide, including having tuned cars for TRD North America.. trust me when I say that is not always the best option...
Old 05-13-10 | 03:37 PM
Splat
Lead Lap

What are you talking about? I never questioned what to use or not to use. Im say as of now to date the only thing that has been able to be used successfully was the AEM unit. And it made more power more reliably!
Old 05-13-10 | 03:49 PM
Obiwan
Driver School Candidate

Guess I misunderstood what you were stating with the comment of them being the only ones able to make power with it vs. maybe some others having lost some power tuning a forced induction setup. Hope that makes sense.

Not making attacks on anyone, just talking tuning and tech. Not sure how that was misinterpreted.

Sounds promising though and the ability to actualy tweak A/F and timing maps makes forced induction a lot more attractive to me. However I am not and have never been a fan of rear mount turbo kits.
Old 05-13-10 | 04:27 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

I had a conversation with the new owner of the Blue Artisan TT a few moths back during supra nationals. He was telling me that the piggyback want working good for him. He did say they were working through the issues and that at the time the car couldnt rev past 4k rpm. Im not 100% informed on what the issues were so i cant be certain about everything.
When i got back home i spoke with a couple shop owners and they recommended going with a full stand alone system. But they heeded against doing this unless i wanted to go extreme with the car. This is one of the main reasons i went N20.

Until the claimed results from elite are duplicated, i personally wouldn't try it on my own car.
Originally Posted by Splat
The only option right now is a piggyback AEM F/IC-8 and so far only elite has been able to come out and show actual gains with the turbo system and using it!

Last edited by MRxSLAYx; 05-13-10 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-13-10 | 04:33 PM
Splat
Lead Lap

Well that owner probably had the stock ecu in from artisan where they claim to be able to flash it. However since we all know that is not possible it has been debunked, since then a few kits have gone to the way of elite and they have fixed the artisan kit. Its document here to lengths. It wasnt that they lost power or didnt know how to tune it was that they flat out lied and just tried running a w/i/meth kit on the top to keep temps down.

Im saying its a waste of 17 grand to get an artisan kit thats all. I myself am going for something completely out of the box and doing a supercharger kit that hopefully the community can use!
Old 05-13-10 | 04:36 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

I agree 100% on the Artisan kit. But he said he had the elite piggyback.

Though im not a fan of superchargers, i do think your build is pretty cool and wish you the best with it.
Well that owner probably had the stock ecu in from artisan where they claim to be able to flash it. However since we all know that is not possible it has been debunked, since then a few kits have gone to the way of elite and they have fixed the artisan kit. Its document here to lengths. It wasnt that they lost power or didnt know how to tune it was that they flat out lied and just tried running a w/i/meth kit on the top to keep temps down.

Im saying its a waste of 17 grand to get an artisan kit thats all. I myself am going for something completely out of the box and doing a supercharger kit that hopefully the community can use!
Old 05-13-10 | 06:05 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kickhard
MHP is full of it. He claimed he cracked the ECU to get your money. 4k for a ecu/tcu tune only!! He tried the same crap over at the GTR forums. Promised all this stuff and didnt do squat. Only 1 or 2 people on this board got his tune and i dont know if it worked.
In fairness to MHP, they have done some amazing things with the C63. They've worked on the fastest one in the world that puts down some ridiculous number. All documented on the MB boards with slips and everything. 11.24@124.32 mph is nothing to sneeze at...lol.
Old 05-13-10 | 06:08 PM
Ekorre
Rookie

MHP is full of it. He claimed he cracked the ECU to get your money. 4k for a ecu/tcu tune only!! He tried the same crap over at the GTR forums. Promised all this stuff and didnt do squat. Only 1 or 2 people on this board got his tune and i dont know if it worked.

Honestly you guys are reaching for the stars with this ECU tuning. All this NA car may squeeze out is 10-20rwhp on a tune only. Only with headers, and a few other hard parts working together with a tune will this car see good gains.

Big power is only going to happen in the way of a turbo or supercharger
that would actually be a damn good gain for just an ecu on a NA car, 20 whp?
Old 05-13-10 | 10:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Ekorre
Might be great, and probably possible knowing Toyota's typical very conservative tune. It's possible there's even more, but until someone has the tools to change the maps directly, we'll all be guessing at what they left on the table.
Old 05-14-10 | 03:56 AM
MRISF
Pole Position

And thank you splat for doing this...i have been in contact with andy also and if your supercharger build goes well i will be next in line
Old 05-14-10 | 07:37 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Honestly you guys are reaching for the stars with this ECU tuning. All this NA car may squeeze out is 10-20rwhp on a tune only. Only with headers, and a few other hard parts working together with a tune will this car see good gains.

Big power is only going to happen in the way of a turbo or supercharger
Yes they were, There claiming the worlds fastest NA Mercedes Benz C63 running the 1/4 mile in 11.24 with there stage 3 tune. Also they able to manage 11's on a BMW 335i.
Old 05-14-10 | 08:14 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Guys, I don't own an IS-F but perhaps sometime in the next year or so (if my wife lets me; lol). I have a modded GS400 for about 7 years now. Just like the IS-F the ECU on my GS (and I think all Lexus models for that matter) cannot be cracked/re-flashed. However, I used an Apexi Neo A/F controller and gained around 17whp and around 20wtq. Roughly a 7-8% increase in power to the wheels. Now, since the IS-F makes a lot more power out of the box with that same gain percentage it could see a ~25whp and ~29wtq gain!

Why wouldn't a universal air/fuel controller work on the IS-F? It's just manipulating the ECU signal regarding the A/F ratios for optimal performance. Has any IS-F owner tried this yet? I don't go in this section much. I just figured I could help out - if this wasn't discussed already.
Old 05-14-10 | 08:27 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

As MHP's guinea pig, should I comment about this?

Originally Posted by Ekorre

Quick Reply: Tuning Options.