IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Toms under panel diffuser

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-10, 11:49 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Does not look like a good aero piece so not really worth molding...nothing exceptional there.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 05-25-10, 02:15 AM
luciush
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FIGS
Does not look like a good aero piece so not really worth molding...nothing exceptional there.
Please do explain how you can assume that this aero piece is not good based off of one picture? If you can make something better and functional then I would like to see it!!!
Old 05-25-10, 08:12 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by luciush
Please do explain how you can assume that this aero piece is not good based off of one picture? If you can make something better and functional then I would like to see it!!!
The issue I see is the fin design is not a cutting design, the pieces are blocky and non divergent. You can see the OE version has a foil design which is better at cutting through air.
I have spent several years investigating diffuser aerodynamics because I am working on one for the IS300. I am not an expert by any means, but I do recognize the design trends set by F1 racing and how they impact functionality. I did not mean to downplay your purchase, because I know it was expensive. I was just saying that it does not look like a complicated design with any secret sauce in it. Its just a coverplate with some fins that will look a little better. Just not worth copying IMO, but then again I am not one to copy any one else's designs.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 05-25-10, 08:13 AM
trackdood
Pole Position

Imrp.us

Look it up we build those hope that helps.....
Old 05-25-10, 10:34 AM
luciush
Driver

Originally Posted by FIGS
The issue I see is the fin design is not a cutting design, the pieces are blocky and non divergent. You can see the OE version has a foil design which is better at cutting through air.
I have spent several years investigating diffuser aerodynamics because I am working on one for the IS300. I am not an expert by any means, but I do recognize the design trends set by F1 racing and how they impact functionality. I did not mean to downplay your purchase, because I know it was expensive. I was just saying that it does not look like a complicated design with any secret sauce in it. Its just a coverplate with some fins that will look a little better. Just not worth copying IMO, but then again I am not one to copy any one else's designs.

I agree with what your saying too! I'll take more detail pics of this diffuser later. IMO I think the TOMS diffuser causes less drag cause it sits closer to the frame. The OEM diffuser sticks out a lot from underneath.
Old 05-25-10, 04:18 PM
trackdood
Pole Position

All about air diffusion....runners need to be much longer IMO.
Old 05-25-10, 04:28 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The design looks less than optimal. It definitely needs to have some sort of air foil design like the OEM. The Tom's fins are probably good enough for a rudder on a toy boat though. Anyone who understands fluid dynamics can take a look at this diffusser and see how lacking it is. I can't believe Tom's is able to sell products like these for a big profit margin.
Old 05-25-10, 05:26 PM
FIGS
The Maker

BTW I have been working on this for longer than I can remember..but getting closer to the final version.

results from more final detail work today. The fins are slightly foiled and the will be closed at both ends, welded and ground to smooth. This is the entire rear end undertray for the IS300. It keeps air going where it should be

Last edited by FIGS; 05-25-10 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-25-10, 05:32 PM
FIGS
The Maker