IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Can you still do burnouts with gas pedal recall?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-10, 10:02 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
You're a left foot braker accelerating hard on the gas after exiting the corner apex and hit a rough patch. Your left foot just bumps the brake pedal, and you suddenly lose forward drive. It's right there in the pdf footnotes, for when the accelerator is pressed hard, any pressure on the brake pedal will invoke the override. That's just one example. How about giving an example of when this will do something useful? I admit this should add great confidence for people too careless to properly attach their floor mats.

Don't get talked into this by the people who have given up their choice in the matter. They love company.
Here you go Genius

Here I test how long it takes for the Lexus brake override feature to kick in after touching the brake. In the video I say two seconds but I was counting a little fast so its closer to 1 but either way it's not instantaneous. If you "bump" the pedal hard enough to trigger the override your going to slow down anyway because your applying the brakes.
partial throttle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW6xTG3Q1Fg
full throttle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VuNch1q4Mg
Old 05-24-10, 10:33 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

You're a left foot braker accelerating hard on the gas after exiting the corner apex and hit a rough patch. Your left foot just bumps the brake pedal, and you suddenly lose forward drive. It's right there in the pdf footnotes, for when the accelerator is pressed hard, any pressure on the brake pedal will invoke the override. That's just one example. How about giving an example of when this will do something useful? I admit this should add great confidence for people too careless to properly attach their floor mats.

Don't get talked into this by the people who have given up their choice in the matter. They love company.
I am not advocating for or against this recall.

I have not done the recall myself.

What I am saying is I am not buying in to the speculation of some that this recall will neuter your car when you drive it aggressively or in the track based on what the technical bulletin says and what I do on the road and learned on the track (Skip Barber graduate).

I only speak for myself and I just want to debunk any theories not based on fact. There is already one proof that the speculation as far as this recall neutering the car is just what it is.

Now if someone can come up with proof that this recall does "neuter" your car then let's hear it for all to know.

The bottom line is I'm looking for facts and not speculation. As to what you want to do or not do with your car, I don't think anyone here is putting a gun on anyone's head and making them do something they don't want to.
Old 05-25-10, 08:17 AM
Reciprocal
Driver

Originally Posted by infinus
Here you go Genius

Here I test how long it takes for the Lexus brake override feature to kick in after touching the brake. In the video I say two seconds but I was counting a little fast so its closer to 1 but either way it's not instantaneous. If you "bump" the pedal hard enough to trigger the override your going to slow down anyway because your applying the brakes.
partial throttle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW6xTG3Q1Fg
full throttle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VuNch1q4Mg

Originally Posted by Straight from the Lexus .pdf
- During grater accelerator pedal application, the Brake Override System activates with ANY brake pedal pressure.

You're accelerating down the straightaway when a car pulls alongside in an overtaking attempt with a late braking maneuver before the corner. To protect your line, you keep your foot planted in the throtte but as the braking markers approach 300...200..100 you have to scrub some speed before the corner so you're applying the brakes. The Override kicks in, his door handle inches ahead of yours and you have to concede the corner.

In another example, on an oval like Dover, drivers don't just chop the throttle when braking for the turns, because rebuilding the momentum means building the rpms back up. They go into the corner trailing some throttle and braking with the left foot at the same time.

While the IS-F is not a race car, it is the first Lexus model that permits defeating the vehicle stability control for those of us who want to explore the limits. The Brake Override System is on the heels of recent hysteria from rare but highly publicized instances of floor mats jamming the accelerator pedal, and some ridiculous behaviors such as Prius drivers using cell phones to call 911 while evading traffic troopers.

There is no reason to have this done, it fixes what is not broken and dumbs down the driving experience for the lowest common denominator of driver.
Old 05-25-10, 08:51 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,910 Likes on 1,346 Posts

There is no reason to have this done, it fixes what is not broken and dumbs down the driving experience for the lowest common denominator of driver.
I couldn't have said it better myself

Lou
Old 05-25-10, 12:58 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

You're accelerating down the straightaway when a car pulls alongside in an overtaking attempt with a late braking maneuver before the corner. To protect your line, you keep your foot planted in the throtte but as the braking markers approach 300...200..100 you have to scrub some speed before the corner so you're applying the brakes. The Override kicks in, his door handle inches ahead of yours and you have to concede the corner.

In another example, on an oval like Dover, drivers don't just chop the throttle when braking for the turns, because rebuilding the momentum means building the rpms back up. They go into the corner trailing some throttle and braking with the left foot at the same time.

While the IS-F is not a race car, it is the first Lexus model that permits defeating the vehicle stability control for those of us who want to explore the limits. The Brake Override System is on the heels of recent hysteria from rare but highly publicized instances of floor mats jamming the accelerator pedal, and some ridiculous behaviors such as Prius drivers using cell phones to call 911 while evading traffic troopers.

As I pointed out earlier you can have the brake and gas on at the same time without the override kicking in by giving a bit more throttle after applying the brakes, this will disable the override letting you left foot brake to your hearts content.

The fact is pretty much everything you say is speculation based out of the PDF's you have no real world experience with this issue and are just coming up with a bunch of hypothetical situations and we could sit here till the end of time debating this. I was initially against this too but as I drove a car with the mod done and ran through tons of scenarios and the override had absolutely no effect. So on one hand while you posit that it dumbs down the driving experience, I who actually have first had experience with the mod am here to say that it doesn't dumb it down at all and that 99.999999% of drivers will never even know its there. Lots of people have had it done and I haven't seen a single one come back and complain.

If you dont want it done then by all means dont do it, I was just here to supply additional information that was previously unknown to those who would like to be fully informed so they can make their own decision.
Old 05-25-10, 01:38 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

Originally Posted by infinus
As I pointed out earlier you can have the brake and gas on at the same time without the override kicking in by giving a bit more throttle after applying the brakes, this will disable the override letting you left foot brake to your hearts content.

The fact is pretty much everything you say is speculation based out of the PDF's you have no real world experience with this issue and are just coming up with a bunch of hypothetical situations and we could sit here till the end of time debating this. I was initially against this too but as I drove a car with the mod done and ran through tons of scenarios and the override had absolutely no effect. So on one hand while you posit that it dumbs down the driving experience, I who actually have first had experience with the mod am here to say that it doesn't dumb it down at all and that 99.999999% of drivers will never even know its there. Lots of people have had it done and I haven't seen a single one come back and complain.

If you dont want it done then by all means dont do it, I was just here to supply additional information that was previously unknown to those who would like to be fully informed so they can make their own decision.
What if you have it floored when the override kicks in? You have to lift! It's right there in the PDF. If that's speculating, be reminded you have quoted the same document.

The fact is, you just had it done yesterday. Your testing while appreciated, is limited. And there is no going back.

The question I would ask, since you pointed out earlier, is that you can have the brake and gas on at the same time without the override kicking in by giving it more throttle after you apply the brakes. What possible advantage comes from that over just having the gas and brake pedals work as they should? What an unnecessary distraction! Don't you see?

I understand you're not wanting to debate hypotheticals. But the fact with racing is, it is full of surprises and you cannot predict them all.

What I asked for earlier, is a value judgement about what is so broken in the current throttle system that makes this fix worth the compromises? No one has come up with any.

I'm sorry but I just can't agree with you at all. You don't speak for the 99.999% of the drivers you claim won't notice it. You have an opinion. I respect it without agreeing with it, but it is just yours.

I'm not having this done.
Old 05-27-10, 08:10 AM
BaronvdB
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matadorBP2
recall done on my car..........

Holy new tires batman!..that's pretty awesome..