IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Can you still do burnouts with gas pedal recall?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-10, 07:49 PM
mrduck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you still do burnouts with gas pedal recall?

For those of you that had the gas pedal recall and software update, can you still do a burnout? I was told by my service advisor you had to step on the brakes twice for the car to shut down.
Old 05-21-10, 10:15 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,910 Likes on 1,346 Posts

Yes you can still do a burnout. The ECU Nanny doesn't cut in until speeds above 5MPH. It will however, effect roadracing or any other kind of aggressive driving. See PDF attached.

Lou
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lexus Brake Override Sys.pdf (561.4 KB, 346 views)
Old 05-21-10, 11:08 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kinda off topic.. but anyone know if anyother manufacture alrdy have some sort of overide within the ECU? i think i read something about it from CD magazine or something.. and just wanna to confirm...
Old 05-22-10, 12:23 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Well... as long as the brake is pressed before the gas... it wont "override"...

So you can still do burnouts, launching, etc
Old 05-22-10, 12:54 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

My 2002 Porsche 911 with 6-speed manual immediately cut fuel when the brake was applied.
Old 05-22-10, 09:18 AM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

This has been hashed and rehashed and argued extensively in the gas pedal recall thread.

No it does not affect burnout and No no one has conclusively verified that it will affect roadracing or any kind of aggressive driving. That is pure speculation.
Old 05-22-10, 10:19 AM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

why are people doing tire burn outs and road racing in an ISF?
Old 05-22-10, 10:30 AM
USBM2011
Driver

recall done on my car..........

Old 05-22-10, 11:36 AM
LexFather

^^^^ love it
Old 05-22-10, 05:51 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,910 Likes on 1,346 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs
No no one has conclusively verified that it will affect roadracing or any kind of aggressive driving. That is pure speculation.
Well, Yes and No. I also read the ES forums (due to my wife's car) and folks there that have had the recall mod done, report that the engine shuts down when they are traveling at speed and leave their foot on the gas and apply the brake. That's exactly what it says will happen on the PDF I attached. It's also what you don't want to happen in road racing or aggressive driving.

Lou
Old 05-22-10, 06:21 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

There is nothing in my racing techique whether trail braking or brake to throttle transition that will invoke what is listed in the PDF so you saying you don't want it to happen while road racing or it actually happening in racing is two different things.

You probably mean the throttle shutting down and not the engine because that would be catastrophic to an automatic car while in drive and in any case that is NOT what the recall is designed to do.
Old 05-24-10, 04:37 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

Default Don't get this done

If you can't forsee a circumstance where this nanny minder will kick in, you will be caught surprised by it when it does. It's an unneeded distraction of your attention from other more important elements of driving.

They should have made it defeatable when VSC is switched off. Unless you believe there is a problem with the throttle system, (or you don't trust your own feet to operate the pedals), there is no reason for this because it only fixes what was not broken.

I'm not having my stud neutered to satisfy someone's interpretation of added driver confidence.
Old 05-24-10, 05:55 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

I had the recall done today after I found this paper. I can do burnouts and left foot brake, I've tested it and it works as described in the image below. I"ll put the video up later when I get home. Basically when you are accelerating and hit the brake after half a second the revs drop and the override kicks in but if you give it more throttle while the brake is still on the brake override turns off even though both the gas and the brakes are on effectively letting you left foot brake. I drove the crap out of the car and didn't see one drawback to having it done.

Here is the document outlining how it works, note the blue areas at the bottom:

Last edited by infinus; 05-24-10 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-24-10, 06:16 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

It's good that you confirmed for all what I thought would and would NOT happen to the car while driving it spiritedly based on the technical bulletin.
Old 05-24-10, 09:11 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

You're a left foot braker accelerating hard on the gas after exiting the corner apex and hit a rough patch. Your left foot just bumps the brake pedal, and you suddenly lose forward drive. It's right there in the pdf footnotes, for when the accelerator is pressed hard, any pressure on the brake pedal will invoke the override. That's just one example. How about giving an example of when this will do something useful? I admit this should add great confidence for people too careless to properly attach their floor mats.

Don't get talked into this by the people who have given up their choice in the matter. They love company.

Quick Reply: Can you still do burnouts with gas pedal recall?