Dyno Comparisons: K&N Typhoon Intake vs Stock vs DIY Flap Mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-10, 01:37 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Exclamation Dyno Comparisons: K&N Typhoon Intake vs Stock vs DIY Flap Mod

Hi Guys,
Well as most of you know there is still a lot of controversy of whether any of the intakes that are avalible actually makes the advertised power gains. FIGS did some initial investigation and I decided to follow suit to see if my findings also correlated with what FIGS found; which was that the stock air box was actually made the most power.

I had the K&N Typhoon Intake for a couple of months. When I initially put it in, after about a month, I noticed some power and torque loss. I thought I regained some of the loss power by doing what I can to shield the intake from the hot engine air. It helped a bit, atleast that's what it felt like. Anyway, I got the K&N Typhoon Intake tested about 2 weeks ago. Note that my K&N Intake system is using a AEM Powerflow DRY Filter (approximately the same size and volume as the K&N Filter that it originally came with). I had driven the car without a ECU reset for a good 5000 or more miles so I was pretty confident that the ECU if it was going to compensate, had already done so and the numbers would reflect real world results...NOT inflated numbers that K&N would post by dynoing immediately after a ECU reset. Dyno runs 1-3 were with the K&N intake.

Next I put the stock intake back on; stock intake box, stock air filter, and the flap working as it would from the factory, reset the ECU, and also cleaned the MAF. Drove the car for a good 500+ miles so the ECU adjusts and dyno'ed again today. Dyno runs 4-7 were with the stock intake.

Next, I did the DIY Flap Mod ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ntake-mod.html ). I did this for dyno runs 8 and 9, no ECU reset because I figured the car would already have a decent learned map for the stock air box...plus it would have cost me more money to take the car off the dyno, drive it around, and the dyno it again. But nonetheless, I wanted to see if the DIY Flap Mod made any difference. For me personally, I always felt a marked difference with the DIY Flap Mod and that's what I used before I put on the K&N Intake.

Anyway, on with the results. I know the numbers are low, but I did this mainly for comparison purposes, not for peak HP, and every dyno is different. All of the results below are done on the same DynoJet, SAE Corrected, and Smoothing set to 5...I did the best I can to keep as much variables consistant as I can.

All the Dyno Runs:
Dyno Runs 1-3: K&N Intake
Dyno Runs 4-7: Stock Air Box
Dyno Runs 8-9: DIY Flap Mod

Dyno Runs 1-3: K&N Typhoon Intake

K&N Intake vs Stock Air Box with Stock Filter

Stock Air Box vs DIY Flap Mod

K&N Intake vs DIY Flap Mod

K&N vs Stock Airbox vs Flap Mod

There you go. Discuss!!...Darshana S...

PS Props to HK Motorsports in Van Nuys. Harry, the owner there was very professional and offered a great deal on the dynos. If anyone wants get their car dyno'd, call him at 818-908-9650.

Last edited by Supraman16; 05-22-10 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-22-10, 02:08 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Interesting.

Thanks for doing this.
Old 05-22-10, 02:13 PM
j8123
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, thanks for taking the time to do this. If I am reading this correctly the DIY Flap mod made the most power?
Old 05-22-10, 05:47 PM
Mac2924
Driver School Candidate

Can you re-post the picture as I cannot seem to view it from the original thread. Thanks.
Old 05-23-10, 11:56 AM
Supraman16
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mac2924
Can you re-post the picture as I cannot seem to view it from the original thread. Thanks.
I posted the picture back up on the original thread as well as below..Darshana S...
Attached Thumbnails Dyno Comparisons: K&N Typhoon Intake vs Stock vs DIY Flap Mod-diy-intake-mod.jpg  
Old 05-23-10, 12:29 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

very informative! thanks for taking the time and doing this. I'll definitely look into HK Motorsports for dynos now.
Old 05-23-10, 12:42 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the pic.

The 40 ft/lb difference at 2.5K RPM is significant enough for me to try this.
Old 05-23-10, 03:51 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

I assume removing the charcoal filter would help a tad too, thats a big obstruction blocking half the intake.
Old 05-23-10, 04:26 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

^^ Not necessarily....

The easiest way to perform the DIY flap mod is to unplug the harness on the actuator shown in the picture of post # 5.

Darshana, your reasearch reminds me of "Caymandives" research thread...

Independent DYNO Proven results by "Caymandive" - no BS here!!

Talk to you soon!!

Joe Z
Old 05-23-10, 04:58 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ Not necessarily....
I'm going to make myself happy and assume it does until someone else proves me wrong If not well its too late anyway I already broke it tearing it out lol
Old 05-23-10, 06:06 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts
Default DIY Intake mod (my results)

I tested this DIY mod out when I was doing some intake testing last year and had inconclusive results so I never posted about it. I should have done more runs with the DIY mod vs stock to get a better idea, but it wasn't worth the dyno time to try decipher the little difference in power. It appears though from my single test that you lose a bit of mid-range. See below:

Last edited by caymandive; 05-23-10 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-23-10, 07:35 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Caymandive,

The results you posted above for the DIY Intake mod, were those done with the winterized fuel? I noted from your original post you had some mixed results even with even the JoeZ intake and that seemed to be attributed to the fuel you were using.

In either case, I think each car is different and how a given car responds to any mod is going to be different from car to car. My car personally feels great with the DIY Intake Mod...it literally feels like the Sport Mode is on in terms of the throttle response that I get now, it feels great! But I recommend everyone do what feels right for their car. I can't say my results will be the same for everyone...Darshana S...
Old 05-23-10, 10:22 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hm... feel like throwing away my K&N lol
Old 05-24-10, 03:57 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman16
Caymandive,

The results you posted above for the DIY Intake mod, were those done with the winterized fuel? I noted from your original post you had some mixed results even with even the JoeZ intake and that seemed to be attributed to the fuel you were using.

In either case, I think each car is different and how a given car responds to any mod is going to be different from car to car. My car personally feels great with the DIY Intake Mod...it literally feels like the Sport Mode is on in terms of the throttle response that I get now, it feels great! But I recommend everyone do what feels right for their car. I can't say my results will be the same for everyone...Darshana S...
Darshana, those results I posted above were all done on the same tank of fuel and on the same day. The issue you are referring to is when I had to go get a new baseline before adding the PTS JoeZ exhaust. Good thing I did, because their may have been a contributing factor between winter and summer blends of gas, which would have threw off my exhaust results. Lesson learned, you can't go off a baseline months old.

So basically you found positive results for the DIY and I found negative/questionable results. I'd say at this point this DIY is still up in the air and we'll probably never really know for sure if it's beneficial or not. There really isn't much power difference either way and you are right that people should just do what they feel is right for their car. In my opinion if it's questionable at best then just leave it in the stock configuration.

What we all can agree to is that the JoeZ intake pipe will enhance the stock setup for a fraction of the price of the other intakes that have inflated power claims.

Thanks for doing this testing man.

James
Old 05-24-10, 05:19 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember this discussion back in 2008. I did this mod but never took my car to the dyno, instead I took it to the local 1/8 mile track. Even though I thought my car was faster with the DYI mod, the timeslips proved me wrong.

That night I did 7 runs with the DYI mod and I was consistently 0.2s and 2 MPH slower than my usual time. I decided to plug the vacuum hose back to the actuator and did 7 more passes, I picked up immediately the 2 tenths and 2 MPH that I lost with the DYI mod. All these 14 passes were on the same night.

As Darshana said every car might respond to mods in a different way. I've seen dyno charts after a true dual exhaust that show the same (or very close) numbers as some stock IS-Fs, so everything is possible.

Quick Reply: Dyno Comparisons: K&N Typhoon Intake vs Stock vs DIY Flap Mod