IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Does the IS-F run a bit too rich?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-10, 10:55 PM
mrohno
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the IS-F run a bit too rich?

Hello everyone. i had my car dynoed a couple weeks ago to get a baseline and by friend that did the dyno said that the car was running a bit rich. Is this common on the F? can anyone who has also dynoed their car confirm this? He states that by leaning the A/F alone could be some decent gains in WHP....between 10-20 he says. Just wondering out loud if it is not just my car that is running too rich or if all the F's are. 345 WHP btw.

jay
Old 05-23-10, 07:55 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I kind of think so. Mine gives off a puff of white smoke upon a cold start. My guess is that it's getting too much gas. It clears up after the "automatic choke" kicks down in 10 seconds. I'm just guessing something is set too high. So I would tend to agree with you in that it is set to run a little rich.
Old 05-23-10, 09:57 AM
mrohno
Driver

My friend...who I will add is some sort of tuning computer genius...think he can do something to lean out the a/f and says there should be slight HP gains of between 10-20. Wonder why if this is true, lexus programmed the F to run rich?
Old 05-23-10, 10:44 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It's not always uncommon to see a rich mixture at WOT for most factory cars. It's done on purpose for two good reasons: lowering the temperature of the internal combustion chamber, and since it's not as lean, you reduce the chance of detonating the engine. Of course leaning out the engine to the ideal 14.7:1 ratio may give you more power, but you're always trading off for something else. If you're going to get your car tuned, make sure the guy knows a damn thing about A/F.
Old 05-23-10, 10:55 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i think i read somehwere that the IS runs pretty rich. this is why on the 2is our exhaust tips are covered in black stuff pretty quickly compared to other cars. If the F's tips were connected to the exhaust, i bet your tips would get dirty alot quicker too
Old 05-23-10, 11:15 AM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mrohno
Hello everyone. i had my car dynoed a couple weeks ago to get a baseline and by friend that did the dyno said that the car was running a bit rich. Is this common on the F? can anyone who has also dynoed their car confirm this? He states that by leaning the A/F alone could be some decent gains in WHP....between 10-20 he says. Just wondering out loud if it is not just my car that is running too rich or if all the F's are. 345 WHP btw.

jay
What AFR's did you get? The only way anyone can tell if they are running rich or lean is if they have a wideband hooked up when they dyno their car.

Looking at Supraman's AFR's on his dynosheets posted for his intake comparison test, overall there is nothing in there to suggest the F fuel map is significantly too rich though the AFR does go lower at around the 5k RPM point.

Last edited by Autobacs; 05-23-10 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-23-10, 11:20 AM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350atWOT
I kind of think so. Mine gives off a puff of white smoke upon a cold start. My guess is that it's getting too much gas. It clears up after the "automatic choke" kicks down in 10 seconds. I'm just guessing something is set too high. So I would tend to agree with you in that it is set to run a little rich.
Most cars run a corrected richer map based on water temp at startup. That is normal.

Any AFR comparisons or tuning for that matter must be done when the engine has reached its normal operating temperature which is when the fuel map is at zero correction. That is when you can make deductions as to whether a fuel map is too rich or lean as the case maybe.
Old 05-23-10, 11:25 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
It's not always uncommon to see a rich mixture at WOT for most factory cars. It's done on purpose for two good reasons: lowering the temperature of the internal combustion chamber, and since it's not as lean, you reduce the chance of detonating the engine. Of course leaning out the engine to the ideal 14.7:1 ratio may give you more power, but you're always trading off for something else. If you're going to get your car tuned, make sure the guy knows a damn thing about A/F.
+1.....It's safer that way. Less chance of detonation and running too hot.
C.
Old 05-23-10, 11:26 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS350atWOT
Typically, rich translates into dark smoke.
It's likely that you're seeing condensation.

C.
Old 05-24-10, 04:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,051 Likes on 2,455 Posts

My friend...who I will add is some sort of tuning computer genius...think he can do something to lean out the a/f and says there should be slight HP gains of between 10-20. Wonder why if this is true, lexus programmed the F to run rich?
I know a few guys in this category. None has been able to crack a Scion/Toyota/Lexus ECM. Best of luck though...your friend would be the first, unless he's just using a piggyback to alter the MAF signal. That only works at WOT, and the setup has to be done by someone with Toyota experience or the ECM will tune out the changes very quickly.
Old 05-24-10, 05:38 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you get the IS-F dynoed? What part in AZ are you in btw?
Old 05-24-10, 06:34 PM
mrohno
Driver

Originally Posted by mex lex
Where did you get the IS-F dynoed? What part in AZ are you in btw?
My buddy Jason did the dyno here in Scottsdale, I forget the name of his place...guy dosen't put a sign up! sheeesh! He is in the AirPark. I'm in Scottsdale.

jay
Old 05-24-10, 10:16 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My buddy Jason did the dyno here in Scottsdale, I forget the name of his place...guy dosen't put a sign up! sheeesh! He is in the AirPark. I'm in Scottsdale.

jay
Cool. You should bring the IS-F out to a local meet