IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Bumper Bully - Anyone tried this thing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-10, 02:01 PM
matt310
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumper Bully - Anyone tried this thing?

Driving around LA it's almost impossible to see a car without door dings or an undamaged rear bumper, even on new cars. For the bumper they're usually covered in those little round license plate screw marks that make an otherwise clean car look awful. I'm assuming this is due to the fact that almost nobody can parallel park in this city without destroying their own wheels or someone else's bumper.

My IS-F's bumper is clean and I'm trying to do everything possible to keep it that way. It doesn't have parking sensors so the whole piece is one smooth look, and I've seen tons of ISx50s' bumpers that have been banged up and they really look crappy, especially w/out the sensors to break up the smooth look a bit.

So besides avoiding parking on the street, has anyone tried these things?

I know they're not the most glamorous things on the planet, but they seem like they'd do the trick to keep the bumper clean. Any opinions?
Old 05-24-10, 02:32 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

i know what you mean. people trying to parallel park in LA is funny yet intense (if your car is the one being backed into). i personally havent tried it, but my friend has one for her ls. she said at first it was a chore to constantly open the trunk just to have it in place in case someone hits it from behind, but better safe than sorry.

i like knowing my bumper is clean and ding/scratch-free, and the only other option would be to not park on the streets or anywhere where parallel parking is prevalent.
Old 05-24-10, 03:25 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen those on cars in NY, where cars take way more of a beating than they do in California (I know, I used to live there).

IMO I'd prefer to paint paint my bumpers over twice a year before driving around with that horrendous looking thing on the back of my car.
Old 05-24-10, 03:28 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Lmao!!!! So ugly!!!!
Get one of those jack in the box type of Punching Gloves. When someone gets too close...

Bad day for that guy.
Old 05-24-10, 03:30 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, i've never seen anything like that before. I guess it's not a bad idea. Sure is ugly though. Knowing people in LA, they'll use it as a target to see if it really works.

Originally Posted by N54MPower
I've seen those on cars in NY, where cars take way more of a beating than they do in California (I know, I used to live there).

IMO I'd prefer to paint paint my bumpers over twice a year before driving around with that horrendous looking thing on the back of my car.
I don't think you drive around with that thing on. After you park, you open your trunk and plop it out.
Old 05-24-10, 03:57 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TWong1200
Wow, i've never seen anything like that before. I guess it's not a bad idea. Sure is ugly though. Knowing people in LA, they'll use it as a target to see if it really works.

I don't think you drive around with that thing on. After you park, you open your trunk and plop it out.
I'm NY/NJ once a month and yeah people drive around with it. In fact my wife took a picture of someone driving with it last summer when we were sitting in traffic.
Old 05-26-10, 04:30 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i wouldnt do it. it makes the car look ugly and stand out. you wouldnt really want your car to stand out when your not there because it could draw unwanted attention. if you are that worried, i would suggest just instaling a hidden camera in the back of your car. that way if someone ever does bump into you, you have their license plate on camera and can report them and get a new bumper.
Old 05-26-10, 05:50 PM
sweetbird
Pole Position

Originally Posted by N54MPower

This^^^^^^^^^
Old 05-26-10, 08:50 PM
stick
Pole Position

You only put it on/pull it out when you park. Looks bad, but looks effective. You use it if you have to park your car on the street.
Old 05-26-10, 10:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,391 Posts

I still like the Trunk Monkey best.
Old 05-26-10, 11:47 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

i'm sorry but it does look ugly... i would nvr put that on...
Old 05-27-10, 07:28 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

I like the idea but they need to make one with 12" steel spikes.

I would probably never use it because of how ugly it is and would attract too much attention with it.

Last edited by hwy1isf; 05-27-10 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-27-10, 07:34 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by stick
You only put it on/pull it out when you park. Looks bad, but looks effective. You use it if you have to park your car on the street.
exactly lol. your not suppose to drive with them on. you only put them on when you get out of the car.
Old 05-27-10, 10:21 AM
svntwosix
Lexus Test Driver

There's a carpet roll out I've seen somewhere on the forum. Looks way better IMO.
Old 05-27-10, 10:35 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That's one of the funniest things i've ever seen. hahaha

Quick Reply: Bumper Bully - Anyone tried this thing?