IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Multiple fix it tickets!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-10, 11:26 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HyperMKIV
no matter...it's a forum so i guess we can talk about ANYTHING here right...haha

mine is also 35% all around...none on the front windshield tho...
Same setup as my IS350, no problems. (3M)
Old 06-02-10, 02:26 PM
lfeharri
Driver

Same thing JUST happened to me on Memorial Day. I got a fix it ticket for not having the front license plate, but the cop was nice to me about my front tint and just gave me a 'verbal warning'. I think he was nice to me because I was very courteous when he pulled me over.
Old 06-02-10, 02:30 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lfeharri
Same thing JUST happened to me on Memorial Day. I got a fix it ticket for not having the front license plate, but the cop was nice to me about my front tint and just gave me a 'verbal warning'. I think he was nice to me because I was very courteous when he pulled me over.
How dark (%) was the tint on your front side windows?
Old 06-03-10, 09:43 AM
eXstasy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lfeharri
Haha just my luck, after I posted in this thread, this also happened to me. I had my front plates on though, so no ticket. Verbal warning for front tint. I run 30% ceramic all around not including the windshield. In fact, I know that when he saw the tint, that's why I got pulled over in the first place.

Where in CA were you? I got pulled over on 101S in Sunnyvale
Old 06-03-10, 09:52 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

eXstasy - Good report for us in silicon valley.

IMO and based on my experience over the last 10 years, 35% is about as dark as you want to go for the 2 fronts, to minimize law enforcement attention.
Old 06-03-10, 10:21 AM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW mine was/is 40% all around, no tint on the windshield.

On that subject I was comparing the visibility though the windows of my IS-F and my wife LS, that also sport the same 40% all around, and I found that because of the all black interior, including headliner and interior carbon fiber trim in my case, the visibility is much worse with the F, make it looks like the tint is darker that it really is.

Anyway it seems that they are indeed cracking down on tint in Cali!
Old 06-03-10, 10:26 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by timeToy
BTW mine was/is 40% all around, no tint on the windshield.

On that subject I was comparing the visibility though the windows of my IS-F and my wife LS, that also sport the same 40% all around, and I found that because of the all black interior, including headliner and interior carbon fiber trim in my case, the visibility is much worse with the F, make it looks like the tint is darker that it really is.

Anyway it seems that they are indeed cracking down on tint in Cali!
Good info. What part of CA is that? Some of the cops with nothing better to do will be on the layoff list anyways due to budget cuts, although those cuts are more likely to impact city cops (not CHP like what you were cited by).

Last edited by IS-SV; 06-03-10 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-03-10, 10:29 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I thought only CHP are allowed to do that kind of inspection...
No any officer in CA can do it (for signing off fix-it tint and plate tickets).
Old 06-03-10, 10:36 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

yup! pasadena is notorious for mean cops. saw them pulling out the meter for tint tickets. i think it was the same cop too cuz i was circling the block looking for parking at the lake shops, and he'd literally pull one over, make a u turn, pull another one over. kinda scary to see what would happen to those cars who do have front tint and are parked along the street..
Old 06-03-10, 11:02 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by stick
Please find out what section your friend was cited for in number 6. I have never heard that before and it doesn't sound legit.
Originally Posted by ming15237
I think someone may have been embellishing the story a bit with this one. I contacted a friend whom works for CHP and he has NEVER heard of such an infraction. I have also looked through the CA Motor Vehicle Code and found NO such reference.
I asked my friend and here's his response. The citation certainly wasn't legitimate, I think the cop was only trying to put a scare into my friend:

"The cop didn't even know. He marked it something like 162.53.xxxx only including the prefix for vehicle registration code. Then just wrote the verbal description. I got it dropped as soon as I took it to the dmv"
Old 06-06-10, 03:30 PM
cdxsuprace
Driver School Candidate

Im tired of getting pull over for no front plate and there is no way Im drilling holes on my bumper. So this is what I did. I used toggle bolts to hold the plate and the best part is that I can remove it anytime without a scratch.

Old 06-06-10, 10:12 PM
stick
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I asked my friend and here's his response. The citation certainly wasn't legitimate, I think the cop was only trying to put a scare into my friend:

"The cop didn't even know. He marked it something like 162.53.xxxx only including the prefix for vehicle registration code. Then just wrote the verbal description. I got it dropped as soon as I took it to the dmv"

Yeah, I figured it wasn't legitimate. I just saw an "//AMG" badge on a Civic.
Old 06-07-10, 04:54 AM
nmpeter
Pole Position

Damn only in Cali! My buddies and I got like 5 cops on us while hanging out behind a building, all of us with illegal tints, some with loud *** exhaust, some dumb *** doing donuts and I'm sure some other things that we'd get tickets for in Cali.

No tickets what so ever, they gave a ticket to the guy doing donuts, ran our IDs and then told us to leave after some somewhat friendly chit chat.
Old 06-07-10, 05:56 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cdxsuprace
Im tired of getting pull over for no front plate and there is no way Im drilling holes on my bumper. So this is what I did. I used toggle bolts to hold the plate and the best part is that I can remove it anytime without a scratch.

That license plate there really makes it look "cartoon-ish," ready for some wood chucking...lol. Does Il allow you to put the plate on the dash?
Old 06-07-10, 08:59 AM
cdxsuprace
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PurduePete
That license plate there really makes it look "cartoon-ish," ready for some wood chucking...lol. Does Il allow you to put the plate on the dash?
No, putting it on the dash is like asking the police to pull you over. I rather have no front plate than put it on the dash. Beside, I only put on the plate temporary. I can take it off anytime.

Quick Reply: Multiple fix it tickets!