IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My F tried to kill me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-10, 07:54 PM
Axtellz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will wait to see what, if any, issue is uncovered- BUT; may i ask- if you were passing a truck,and lost power.. why on earth would you try to continue to pass, rather than back off, let the truck go ahead of you on the right, then pull back to the right and pull over??

Would that not be the prudent choice- slow down and pullover safely, rather than risk your and some random stranger's lives?
Old 06-08-10, 04:55 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Axtellz
i will wait to see what, if any, issue is uncovered- BUT; may i ask- if you were passing a truck,and lost power.. why on earth would you try to continue to pass, rather than back off, let the truck go ahead of you on the right, then pull back to the right and pull over??

Would that not be the prudent choice- slow down and pullover safely, rather than risk your and some random stranger's lives?
I had a rear view mirror full of cars at this point and had the momentum to continue the pass. There is NO berm on the left side to the road, only a guide barrier. That is all I will respond about this. This is NOT about my choice, and it's easy for you to sit there and critique my choice made in less than 3 seconds. I had to figure out that I in dead had a problem and that it was NOT a problem I could rectify, second choice is now WTF do I do? Get me and this car off the travel lanes of the road.
Old 06-08-10, 04:58 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Just a little update to everyone, the soonest I could get a appointment at the dealer is the 21st due to me wanting a loaner car. So the F sleeps in her spot in the garage till then.
Old 06-10-10, 12:03 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep us posted.
Old 06-10-10, 12:17 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

i have to agree with RTIS on this one. seems like the ecu detected something and put the car in limp mode to prevent any damage to the car itself, hence why you werent getting any throttle response.
Old 06-10-10, 12:18 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ming15237
Just a little update to everyone, the soonest I could get a appointment at the dealer is the 21st due to me wanting a loaner car. So the F sleeps in her spot in the garage till then.
That's BS. Go in right now, that's a safety concern. They'll get you in a loan car ASAP. Take it to the next level if your service advisor doesn't get you a car right there on the spot.
Old 06-10-10, 12:33 PM
mrohno
Driver

Originally Posted by eric_r_ho
That's BS. Go in right now, that's a safety concern. They'll get you in a loan car ASAP. Take it to the next level if your service advisor doesn't get you a car right there on the spot.
Totally agree......so if this was your daily driver they would just leave you hanging and in a dangerous situation? Limp it in And say "fix it.......oh and I'll need a loaner"
Old 06-10-10, 12:45 PM
mr2fast
Driver

or just go careening into the service center and blame it on the faulty throttle
Old 06-10-10, 12:53 PM
defrag
Driver

If and when that happens again, take our your trusty cell phone, take pictures of all the warning lights, a video showing whats happen, and take your car to the dealer. They can't deny obvious proof that this has happened to you. Had an issue just like this with my truck. I took it to the dealer, explain what happened, they checked the codes, and nothing. I proceeded to show them my digital camera with all the evidence of the issue and they immediately gave me an 08 Tahoe (brand new at the time) free of charge and went to work on my vehicle. Ended up being an issue with the electronics somewhere (never got the details) but I haven't had the issue since.
Old 06-10-10, 01:13 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry to hear about the potentially dangerous incident. Curious as to what the cause was.

I had a 01 Mercedes C240 that did this twice. The last time was a month before the lease ended, so I turned it in then (delivered on a flatbed truck) to the dealership, cause unknown. Used car manager processed the lease return without incident, knowing the car was going to be wholesaled off. I received a check a few weeks later for unused mileage.
Old 06-10-10, 01:23 PM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

Ya really weird problem for sure i never had anything like that happen. O and get a service manager on the horn and demand that they pick up your car and get you a loaner ASAP. I have never had to wait that period of time for a loaner that is unacceptable you have a NEW car they need to fix it asap!
Old 06-14-10, 07:56 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by slvrboolet
Ya really weird problem for sure i never had anything like that happen. O and get a service manager on the horn and demand that they pick up your car and get you a loaner ASAP. I have never had to wait that period of time for a loaner that is unacceptable you have a NEW car they need to fix it asap!
Looks like the dealer is going to call it a bad Mass Air Flow sensor. The problems worsened this past weekend. Car would start and stall, fail to start, and lost first gear (part of limp home) Power is back to normal, JoeZ intake is on, and engine appears to be normal. We will wait and see that this is the final installment to this chapter. Anybody have a link to past post on to the replacement/refinishing of the wheels mine have had it as far as the finish goes, dealer said bring me in something that says this is what others have done and we will call the factory with it.
Old 06-14-10, 08:33 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks like the dealer is going to call it a bad Mass Air Flow sensor. The problems worsened this past weekend. Car would start and stall, fail to start, and lost first gear (part of limp home) Power is back to normal, JoeZ intake is on, and engine appears to be normal. We will wait and see that this is the final installment to this chapter. Anybody have a link to past post on to the replacement/refinishing of the wheels mine have had it as far as the finish goes, dealer said bring me in something that says this is what others have done and we will call the factory with it.
Glad everything got fixed.. i did mention MAF in the original post i made.. im guessing they saw a code for it, or saw bad numbers in the data list. if you had/have an aftermarket air filter, it'd likely to blame.. id leave it out.
Old 06-14-10, 09:39 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

joez on? i thought you had K&N?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...yesterday.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-of-power.html

Last edited by malujerry; 06-14-10 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-15-10, 05:04 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

I did , but it's been switched out, K&N was an awesome company to deal with when I expressed my concerns with their system.

Quick Reply: My F tried to kill me!!!