Old 06-15-10, 07:40 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

some links
http://www.lexus.com/models/ISF/feat...sion_Story.pdf
it does say its from the LS
but on lexus.com they say
"The IS F features a world's-first eight-speed Sport Direct-Shift transmission for seamless, lightning-fast shifting"
i assume its called the worlds first because its sport direct shift

in the pdf link it mentions how it was designed to be strong/quick for track use
also the car was tested at fugi
and the F logo I hear resembles one of the corners
http://supergt.net/supergt/circuit/fuji/crs_fuji.gif
its really a shame that more people arent tracking this beast if that is the case.
being a F branded lexus, im sure F will always mean performance, and performance almost always leads to speed and the track
Old 06-15-10, 08:38 PM
isbeater
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FBTO
That must be a bad driver. Mine is packing 481 Hp!! Stock! Vroom!! Vroom!!
There's no such thing. It's an auto and we've run a ton of times both of us know how to drive and spent the last 10 years of our lives on the track. Even with 481 you won't get far from the ISF. I had heavy 20s on at the time too. A renntech upgrade will definitely make a difference, but the shift time on the c63 is really slow.

Get the renntech ECU upgrade to open up the throttle to 100% instead of 80% and then you'll definitely eat an F. Until then, it's negligible.

Last edited by isbeater; 06-15-10 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-15-10, 10:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
+1

I'd be surprised if anyone here didn't look at or consider the M3 prior to getting their F (along with the C63). We all knew what we were getting into and made choices that were best for us as individuals.

It's not an issue of one car being "better" than the other. I respect the M3 but didn't want one.

P.S. As to the DCT discussion...there are stickys on the M3 boards discussing the multitude of problems they encounter (yes, Henry...I know they have gotten better....but have not gone away). Not an ongoing issue that I would want to deal with.
nah i didn't say dct problems are all gone now. i said it's much better now in general (initially there were a lot more problems). and well, that's partially why i got 6mt, haha...

when we shopped for our m3, we drove the isf extensively (more than a few times), but unfortunately we never felt connected to the car. ultimately the m3 pleases us a lot more, but there are things on lexus that we do miss
Old 06-15-10, 10:52 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
ultimately the m3 pleases us a lot more, but there are things on lexus that we do miss
like the navigation...
Old 06-15-10, 10:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
like the navigation...
navigation
fit and finish
luxury
audio system

those are not stuff we care for a car like this that's why we were able to look past them. but at the same time that's also why i see the isf excel for people who wants the speed but without much compromise on these
Old 06-16-10, 09:20 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ Don't forget to factor in Long Term reliablility....

As a daily driver in Los Angeles..
I see all too often hazard lights on the side of the freeways/roads from the Germans.

But hey, its really a personal preference i guess.

Owning Lexus' for just about 10 years, I have never had to pull over for a break down, failure or tow.

Best Regards,

Joe Z
Old 06-16-10, 10:51 AM
kickhard
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hahahaf
some links
http://www.lexus.com/models/ISF/feat...sion_Story.pdf
it does say its from the LS
but on lexus.com they say
"The IS F features a world's-first eight-speed Sport Direct-Shift transmission for seamless, lightning-fast shifting"
i assume its called the worlds first because its sport direct shift

in the pdf link it mentions how it was designed to be strong/quick for track use
also the car was tested at fugi
and the F logo I hear resembles one of the corners
http://supergt.net/supergt/circuit/fuji/crs_fuji.gif
its really a shame that more people arent tracking this beast if that is the case.
being a F branded lexus, im sure F will always mean performance, and performance almost always leads to speed and the track

Just like I said the ISF trans is off the shelf from the LS. The only real difference between it and the LS is the TCU programming to benefit the ISF. "Sport Direct Shift" is just a marketing term IMO from lexus and to me this trans is not that different from other automatic transmissions in the way it performs. Just because Lexus put some paddles on the steering wheel doesnt give the trans special abilities. It does shift firmer and quicker than a standard auto trans

Just remember this is the first F branded lexus. Some things they got right and some they didnt. This is a good platform to build on for the future ISF's

LOL stop drinking the Lexus kool-ade. Our ISF is a great car for the money and my main reason for buying it over a C63,M3, RS4 was toyota reliability, great service advisors and decent service cost. But it is not the standard all sports sedans are measured to. I can understand being loyal to your ISF but at least be open minded to view its faults and other cars good points.

Last edited by kickhard; 06-16-10 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-16-10, 11:09 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kickhard
Just like I said the ISF trans is off the shelf from the LS. The only real difference between it and the LS is the TCU programming to benefit the ISF. "Sport Direct Shift" is just a marketing term IMO from lexus and to me this trans is not that different from other automatic transmissions in the way it performs. Just because Lexus put some paddles on the steering wheel doesnt give the trans special abilities. It does shift firmer and quicker than a standard auto trans...
Here is some more info on the IS-F Trans.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IS-F Transmission Story.pdf (274.4 KB, 361 views)

Last edited by Joe Z; 06-16-10 at 11:13 AM. Reason: added file
Old 06-16-10, 11:17 AM
kickhard
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Here is some more info on the IS-F Trans.
LOL that funny how they mention complete control and it only shifts when you want it to. I hate when it down shifts down a gear when I have it in manual mode.
Old 06-16-10, 11:42 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

LOL that funny how they mention complete control and it only shifts when you want it to. I hate when it down shifts down a gear when I have it in manual mode.
Well think about it...

Wrong speed.. Wrong gear.. its going to downshift when coming to a stop or
slowing down..
Why would you want it to hold a higher gear in a lower speed..?
(A manual trans would bog or cause engine stall)

On the flip side in manual mode.. I have punched the gas in the wrong gear & got goose eggs..

So like everything else, it just takes getting used to using it for optimal performance, when needed.

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 06-16-10 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-16-10, 10:37 PM
matt310
Rookie

This is the threshold for an automatic downshift in manual mode - and it's done so to prevent the engine from stalling.

Old 06-17-10, 02:13 PM
VQ35ohwhat
Driver School Candidate

I think isf seems more exclusive and rare than m3 sedan
Old 06-18-10, 02:51 AM
kickhard
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Well think about it...

Wrong speed.. Wrong gear.. its going to downshift when coming to a stop or
slowing down..
Why would you want it to hold a higher gear in a lower speed..?
(A manual trans would bog or cause engine stall)

On the flip side in manual mode.. I have punched the gas in the wrong gear & got goose eggs..

So like everything else, it just takes getting used to using it for optimal performance, when needed.

Joe Z
Oh I know why its doing it but I think it just does it a little to soon and Its not for when I coming to a stop its when I am just cruising along in slow traffic at a steady pace and I put it in 7th or 8th and it just keeps dropping down to a lower gear. And the engine was nowhere close to being bogged down or it wouldnt have let me shift into that gear in the first place. Annoying, it should only down shift if I am coming to a stop, slowing down, or I physically put it in a lower gear. But oh well!!! Like others have said I have to get used to it ;-)

Anyway drove the F today a bit and I am still amazed at how smooth, quiet and composed she is. Definitely the right choice for the wife and I. One thing I love about it for her sake is the power delivery is very safe (its not a off/on kinda deal). Now if I could just get her to stop getting flats and cut tires it would save me some money. On the first set of tires we had to replace 2 tires(last one had a intact piece of half a sizzor inside the wheel that was found by the tech when we replaced the set last month) and had 5 tires fixed from nails, screws in the tires.

BTW how is everyone doing on tire wear with the stock tires? We got 29,000 miles out of the bridgestones

And I do think most comments about the exclusivity of the ISF is true. A lot of people ask what kind of kit it is on the car. I have seen tons of the new M3's and have not to date seen any ISF's in my area. Dealership said I was the only ISF they sold.

Last edited by kickhard; 06-18-10 at 02:57 AM.
Old 06-18-10, 03:19 AM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

The M3 has been at the top of my most wanted car for the garage for nearly 20 years. Regrettably it won't be seen in my garage cos i can't freakn afford one.

I valet all types of cars and drove M3s regualrly before and i just adored them...

Comes down to what you want and who you are, definitely the M3 for pulling chicks and turning heads...more of a driver's car too imo.

The F is no doubt more luxurious but where pure driving machine is concern i would think the M3 is >.
Old 06-18-10, 07:57 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love to come in the ISF forum every once in a blue moon and read how discussions and comparisons are going. Except for the handful of people who track their cars and actually air it out properly, no one else will notice the difference in handling or performance between the F, M, or C63. It ends up being a matter of personal taste and what design rocks their boat.

Honestly, most of the people that drive these vehicles shouldn't take these cars to the edge because they probably cold not handle it anyway and would end up wrapping it around a tree or freeway pole.

Anyway, for those that have the ISF, keep enjoying them and loving them. You all have a great automobile on your hands and no need comparing and getting all ruffled. If my family lifestyle (meaning less than three kids) allowed for it, I would have jumped on an ISF when it first came out.

Quick Reply: M3