IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

M5 for ISF

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-10, 07:43 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a little off topic, but dealing with the same brands. I had an IS250 for 3 years and 36k miles with absolutely no issues. I also have a GX470 with 73k with absolutley no issues (other than a battery and a light bulb). I got rid of the IS250 and got a BMW 335i and have had it for about 9 months. I've already had the low pressure fuel pump replaced on it. In the past month, I've had to put in 3 quarts of oil (no oil leak) and the car is in constant limp mode. The nav screen and the dash is constantly lit up like a Christmas tree. It's barely drivable. I love this BMW for the way it handles and is lightning fast (JB3). I totally regret getting rid of the IS250 now as this BMW has been nothing but a problem. Looking at replacing with the IS-F. I'll never buy another BMW.
Old 06-23-10, 08:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
The M5 driver actually was trying. On the dyno where I go, the M5's put down around 425whp (stock), which is only around 30+ more than what I have currently been able to put down. Considering the weight difference of a couple hundred pounds, we were indeed evenly matched.
so it's modded vs stock?

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
This is a little off topic, but dealing with the same brands. I had an IS250 for 3 years and 36k miles with absolutely no issues. I also have a GX470 with 73k with absolutley no issues (other than a battery and a light bulb). I got rid of the IS250 and got a BMW 335i and have had it for about 9 months. I've already had the low pressure fuel pump replaced on it. In the past month, I've had to put in 3 quarts of oil (no oil leak) and the car is in constant limp mode. The nav screen and the dash is constantly lit up like a Christmas tree. It's barely drivable. I love this BMW for the way it handles and is lightning fast (JB3). I totally regret getting rid of the IS250 now as this BMW has been nothing but a problem. Looking at replacing with the IS-F. I'll never buy another BMW.
well the 335 is famous for HFP problem, problem of FI. m3/m5/m6 (currently) all on NA and they are a lot more solid
Old 06-23-10, 08:46 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
Even though I was pleasantly surprised, and impressed, that IS-F drivers didn't trash the notion of going to the dark side for an M5, thank you for the most objective post I've read here. I own the M5 in its other guise, the M6; and the truth is that the IS-F and M5 are entirely different beasts, the former (IS-F) being the more civilized of the two, but not by much. To the person here who suggested that an M5 driver was surprised that he couldn't pull away from their IS-F my thinking is that the M5 driver really didn't want to. In P500 performance program, the M5 is pure evil at 500hp. Do that in a straight line and not much catches it. Also, bear in mind that the M5's performance settings can usher 300hp, 400hp, or 500hp, with corresponding steering and suspension settings. To the other poster who suggested that BMW M cars have gotten more fuel efficient, I haven't yet seen that happen for the M5 and M6; however, for me the trade-off of hearing the exhaust notes from the V-10 is still worth it.
Are you aware of Cayman's mods? I would assume that you have inadvertently missed the threads and posts where he volunteered his car to be the test mule for several untested mods. He is highly respected here and would not bull**** us.
Old 06-23-10, 03:21 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

IS-F if you want to avoid unscheduled dealer visits..

or if you need the extra space..

Better yet, just wait a short bit for the GS-F.. It will be here soon enough...

Joe Z
Old 06-23-10, 05:15 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
so it's modded vs stock?
It would be safe to say this was a modded vs stock scenario being the IS-F modded and the M5 relatively stock. I'm not sure what mods the M5 had beside non-OEM mufflers as they were the only thing apparent to me.

Last edited by caymandive; 06-23-10 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-23-10, 05:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

It would be safe to say this was a modded vs stock scenario. I'm not sure what mods the M5 had beside non-OEM mufflers as they were the only thing apparent to me.
but your car isn't stock right? i don't think the isf is putting 390rwhp?
Old 06-23-10, 05:41 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
but your car isn't stock right? i don't think the isf is putting 390rwhp?
Sorry I may have misled so I reworded my previous post.

My IS-F has the following and details located in this thread.
1. SIKKY Headers
2. JoeZ Intake
3. PTS JoeZ series Exhaust.

With my current setup:

On the dynojet I put down 386whp and 363tq

On the dynapack I put down 413whp and 347tq
Old 06-23-10, 05:44 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

My uncle has an M5 which I have had the great opportunity to drive on many occasions. I have yet to touch an ISF, but I'll try to give my best impression on that car objectively (don't really like BMWs that much).

The M5 is a driver's car: a pure beast on the road. Absolutely incredible machine, but as people have said before, the SMG is by no means smooth. It's very rough and bumpy to drive. But with the Dinan intake/exhaust combo, the car makes me shudder. It sounds incredibly mean. I'm awake at like 5 in the morning, and my uncle lives across the street. My desk shakes when he starts up his car. It is LOUD.
Also, BMW nagivation is pretty hard to use, I've driven a TL with nav for about 6 months, and I'd have to say, it was MUCH better than using the incredibly hard to use BMW **** to control the nav.

To own one is a differenty story. I swear, I think that car goes to Steven's Creek BMW at least once every two months. And the invoices are not pretty at all. Needless to say, it is EXPENSIVE to maintain. He drives it maybe 2-3 times a week.

Again, I don't know anything about the ISF, so I'm just giving you a viewpoint on the M5, but if it was me, I would probably pick the ISF. The M5 is just too much money to maintain. But it is SO much fun to drive.
Old 07-11-10, 09:10 PM
Ekorre
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by houstonT
Dave, appreciate your feedback and I do apologize for characterizing the tranny as an automatic, it was a loose generalization and I should have been more specific. Nevertheless, after having owned a few ISF's, GTR, etc...I can say with CERTAINTY that the SMG is a POS! Even on the most aggresive setting, the shifts take an eternity...I would NEVER own a car with an SMG trans. Now the new DCT that the M3 has...that's another story...
Peter
for the sake of accuracy,

it's not slow, you just drove the m5 incorrectly,

the SMG III is slow in shift speed unless you shift past 7k RPM. Past 7k rpm it is incredibly fast.

You definitely did not shift past 7k rpm, as it is faster than any human can shift manually.

Your qualm is a common misunderstanding about the SMG III unless one knows how to operate it. It is not a reworked auto like in the IS F.. that said... I dont like the SMG III much, but its not a pos, it shifts hard and fast when operated correctly, and the M5 will outrun any ISF, the M5 is a 200+ mph car! what a beast!

I like the ISF tranny a lot more however. I bought an 07 m5 instead of an ISF as I have a baby right now, and the M5 has a bit more space and many more gadgets. HUD, active seats, seat cooler, Active EDC configurability and the sweetest sounding engine in a 4 door car hands down avail to the public right now.

again, all that said, I still think the ISF was just as fun and I wouldnt have to buy an extended warranty if I had an ISF...

ISF felt a bit cramped to me though, and visibillity isnt as good. The car also has a more boy racer look to it, but I still like it.

You choose either car you wont be dissapointed. I think the M5 costs more to own, but you also have a 50/50 balanced car that has a slew of luxury not avail in the lexus. suede headliner, leather dash, and the fun active bolstering seats, and better suspension.

The ISF to me was more fun on the street. THe M5 is fast, but a bit too serious about it, the ISF felt more playful and easy to get power out of. To feel the power really come on in the M5 I have to bring it above 5k. granted above 5k rpm it has a 8200 rpm peak that the isf cannot rival in its nasal glory, but still.

I also sometimes need 5 people in the car, if thats a consideration, of course the m5 would get the nod.

cant go wrong with either!

Last edited by Ekorre; 07-11-10 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-11-10, 09:29 PM
Ekorre
Rookie

Originally Posted by s4play
The e60 m5 is all old technogloy from it's thirty V10 to it's SMG tranny. The new generation M5 is faster, much more fuel efficient and has a better motor. BMW finally realized in this age of efficiency having a V10 that sucks fuel like an exotic is not going to work. As another poster has mentioned, you get about 10 mpg and that sucks big time.

The IS-F is in no way a comparison car to the BMW M5 but Lexus has no other performance sedan in this size. The IS-F as at least current technology for now.

My guess is if your budget is $50k, then go for the IS-F or otherwise if you can swing the price tag, wait for the new M5.

Doesn't matter what year m5 (06-09) they are all going to drop like a rock in terms of value so make sure you REALLY like the car if you want to buy one.
the new m5 isnt out yet, so its a bit funny you're so sure on all counts. as it stands now we have no official reports from any source regarding performance times. I imagine it will be faster, but it's also bigger and not NA, which for some is a detraction. The SMG may be older tech for the BMW line, but to be fair, it still is an advanced mechanism, and as far as sophistication is still a more interesting trannty than the auto in the F.

The M5 driver actually was trying. On the dyno where I go, the M5's put down around 425whp (stock), which is only around 30+ more than what I have currently been able to put down. Considering the weight difference of a couple hundred pounds, we were indeed evenly matched.
if you guys kept going , the m5 would have outrun the F, the legs of the M5 dont begin to get stretched out until above 110 mph. it outruns c6 zo6's over 160 mph!
To be fair, if the m5 had headers also? That alone reaps up to 60 WHP on the m5. big difference without those primary cats choking the engine.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There was an M5 in my group at the track this weekend. The driver was good, but the brakes were not. I passed her every time I went out because she just couldn't take advantage of all the power and keep the brakes working.

I've also never been impressed by the 500+ lbs the BMW V-10 weighs.

But to each his own. I can certainly understand needing more back seat. The 2IS is not generous at all. Even a Scion tC has more rear leg room...
she probably didnt know how to drive, have you seen the size of the brakes on the M5?!!? Additionally, i havent seen a single track time done by pro drivers ever where the ISF was quicker. Nurbugring comes to mind first.

the m5 weighs in at 4070, not far off from the ISF's actual curb weight of 3800+

I think either car is great in the end. but Im a bit biased , I love my M5!! the engine is a pleasure to command, and she's beautiful:

Last edited by Ekorre; 07-11-10 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-11-10, 10:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,989 Likes on 2,414 Posts

Ummm. Nope. My IS-F weighs 3742 on a corner weight scale.

And, yes, she actually does know how to drive AND she had an instructor driving with her.

Sorry, it ain't all about size, it's about 4 major braking events with more than 50 mph being scrubbed off every two minutes.

Glad you're happy with your ride. It's heavy and taxes its brakes beyond their ability to shed heat at Carolina Motorsports Park.
The following users liked this post:
RJMacReady (06-18-24)
Old 07-12-10, 05:49 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

M5 isnt a bad car. But you have a few facts way wrong.

M5 will outrun a C6 Z06 past 160mph??? LMAO The Z will be 20 cars ahead by then

Stock to stock i never lost to any M5s. The added weight and lack of Torque play a big factor here. The only M5 i ever lost to was far from stock and runs 12.0 in the 1/4 mile. Even with those numbers he didnt pull me by too much.

Smg is a cool transmission, but it fails in many areas. If you get lucky with one that dosnt cause problems your in business.

Good luck with the M5. I really like the car. If the guys at the BMW dealer wernt so stuck up i probably would have one instead of my F lol. Love the Color !
Old 07-12-10, 06:09 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Good luck with the M5. I really like the car. If the guys at the BMW dealer wernt so stuck up i probably would have one instead of my F lol. Love the Color !
Stuck up is NOT even close to how I was treated when I went in to pickup some parts for my old 530i with my F! You would have thought I had the plague! These guys bitterly leered at me...lol..At that point I realized I really am not cut out to own one of their cars... Besides I look like a complete *** with my shirt collar up LMAO!

Last edited by lobuxracer; 07-12-10 at 08:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RJMacReady (06-18-24)
Old 07-12-10, 07:36 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by phlabrasca
Trading in cars for a marginal horsepower gain is a complete waste of money, with all the wasted money over the years, you can buy yourself a REAL V10 with ***** like a Viper or a classier V10 like an R8.

I'm not sure about the M5, but the 7 series is an absolute turd after warranty, Ferrari-like maintenance for a turd BMW.

The only trade-in I'd be able to warrant for my IS-F right now would be a GT-R, and even that I am skeptical of because of the GT-R tranny problems I've read about.
I was going to get wordy again but this guy said everything correct

FORGET the m5 - no one wants it these days except for those who know nothing about cars and just wants the brand name. My friend wants one and I told him to buy the e46 m3 since that car at least holds some value.