IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Question to those with lowering springs...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-10, 06:26 PM
mikefate
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there a bump stop rubber bushing on them? if so, try and spray some lube around that area.
Old 07-23-10, 06:56 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

The springs itself did not include a bump stop rubber? Were they suppose to be included? I thought the OEM bump stop rubbers were to be used.
Help..
Originally Posted by mikefate
is there a bump stop rubber bushing on them? if so, try and spray some lube around that area.
Old 07-23-10, 09:01 PM
proog87
Rookie

Originally Posted by OneSiCkF
The springs itself did not include a bump stop rubber? Were they suppose to be included? I thought the OEM bump stop rubbers were to be used.
Help..
Your correct, thed original OEM bump stop rubbers where suppose to be used with TEIN springs. But if im not mistaken, they where suppose to be cut .6in off the front ones and 1.3in from the back ones. I installed my set without any cutting and everything is fine so far. Not that im expecting anything to go wrong, for not cutting them.
Old 07-23-10, 11:25 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The purpose of bumpstops is to only perform when the suspension is bottoming out. You don't want to know the consequence going through a hop at a high speed with bad bumpstops.

If the instruction tells you to trim it, it may have some thing to do with the shock riding on the bumpstops or a little travel left before the shaft hitting the bumpstop so I would trust the Co. more than the installer.

Good luck and post pics when done.

For those who have the H-techs installed, did your installer cut your 'bump stop'? The instructions recommend that they be cut slightly. Can you guys provide some insight? My potential installer suggested that they not be cut because the shocks will wear out a lot sooner. I'm looking to install my springs tomorrow.

TIA
Old 07-23-10, 11:55 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Does cutting the bump stops affect the ride height at all? For example instead of dropping 1 inch following all instructions, by not cutting the bump stops would it only drop .5 inch?

Please help
TIA
Old 07-24-10, 10:45 AM
pootie
Driver School Candidate

Does cutting the bump stops affect the ride height at all? For example instead of dropping 1 inch following all instructions, by not cutting the bump stops would it only drop .5 inch?

Please help
TIA
Bump stops don't affect ride height at all. They only play a role during greater than normal spring compression.
Old 07-24-10, 05:44 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

I just dropped my car and now my AFS light came on. Is this normal? What should I do?
Old 07-25-10, 08:59 AM
clifftrail
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just dropped my car and now my AFS light came on. Is this normal? What should I do?
If you did the same thing I did you left the alignment arm on the right rear cross support in the wrong position. There is an alignment arm that attaches next to the shock that can fall to the wrong angle when removed. The proper angle is up and over for a near 90 degree bend. There are a couple of threads in the 2nd gen IS area that have a picture but you probably know what I'm talking about if you are a DIYer. Its an easy fix so I hope that helps.
Old 07-25-10, 01:36 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

It was an easy fix. Thanks!
Will post pics soon.
Originally Posted by clifftrail
If you did the same thing I did you left the alignment arm on the right rear cross support in the wrong position. There is an alignment arm that attaches next to the shock that can fall to the wrong angle when removed. The proper angle is up and over for a near 90 degree bend. There are a couple of threads in the 2nd gen IS area that have a picture but you probably know what I'm talking about if you are a DIYer. Its an easy fix so I hope that helps.
Old 07-25-10, 02:13 PM
sweetbird
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the teins without cutting the bump stops and have had no issues at all, I have done a few 160 runs and hit some big bumps at that speed with no issue.
Old 07-26-10, 09:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,998 Likes on 2,422 Posts

Cutting bumpstops is usually a bad idea. They're there to prevent the shock from bottoming and damaging itself internally. Cutting it means the shock is going to get slammed on compression. I wouldn't do it even if Tein says it's OK. They're not going to buy you a new shock if it's damaged by compression. They only warranty the spring itself.
Old 08-03-10, 04:41 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

To all of those with Tein H-Tech springs, did you guys get any squeaking at all when your springs were first installed? I've had mine installed on my car for a little over a week and never got any squeaks (not even on bumps). Is this typical with these kinds of springs/cars? I'm just remembering the good ol' honda days when my car would always squeak (for at least a week) when new springs were installed.

Thanks
Old 08-03-10, 07:26 PM
proog87
Rookie

To all of those with Tein H-Tech springs, did you guys get any squeaking at all when your springs were first installed? I've had mine installed on my car for a little over a week and never got any squeaks (not even on bumps). Is this typical with these kinds of springs/cars? I'm just remembering the good ol' honda days when my car would always squeak (for at least a week) when new springs were installed.

Thanks
No squeaks, and love the ride comfort so much better. It seems that it has gotten even smoother after 3 months.
Old 08-04-10, 04:29 PM
elm3c
Rookie

Originally Posted by proog87
No squeaks, and love the ride comfort so much better. It seems that it has gotten even smoother after 3 months.
Better ride comfort than stock? Are the spring rates lower than stock? For that matter, does anyone know the stock spring rates? Thanks!