IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2011 IS F (updated, official news and pics) Suspension Revised

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-10, 09:35 PM
LexFather

The one-trick ES may be the bread-and-butter car over at Lexus, but the number-two seller is where the action is. To keep the IS line fresh and appealing, Lexus has announced several updates across the line for 2011.

The most interesting updates are applied to the 2011 Lexus IS F sports sedan
. (Note: A 2010 Lexus IS F is pictured as no pictures of the updated 2011 IS F are available.) While an impressive piece of work, we found it to be just short of the M3-beater Lexus was shooting for. After looking over feedback from its first three years on the road, Lexus has made some important updates for 2011 to address some of the biggest concerns facing the car.

Namely, Lexus has tackled the ride and handling. We found the IS F to be something of a punishing ride off the track and lacking the utterly intuitive steering of the M3. The folks at Lexus apparently agreed and set their engineers at righting those wrongs. To that end, they've revised all the spring rates and shock settings as well as the rear bushings and camber angle, all in the name of improved ride comfort and responsiveness. They also set about tweaking the electric power steering system to improve steering feel and driver control.

Unfortunately, Lexus also caved to recent allegations of electronic gremlins and installed a brake override function on the IS F, likely putting an end to power-braking launches and other such shenanigans.

Topping things off, Lexus also did a little sprucing up inside the car and out. Outside, the 2011 IS F gets some trendy LED daytime running lights while the interior is treated to new gauges, a silver-trimmed steering wheel, "dark finish aluminum" trim and a "Sport" button relocated from the center stack to the steering wheel. Cars ordered with the black interior now get seats with leather bolsters and Alcantara inserts to better hold you in turns. The Terra Cotta interior is out, replaced with a new orange and black leather interior package.

If the mighty IS F is a bit too rich for you blood, Lexus has also done some work on the standard IS. In fact, you can now get an "F Sport" package on your IS 250 or IS 350, provided they're of the rear-wheel-drive variety. F Sport models get front and trunk lip spoilers, a "dark chrome" grille insert, special "dark super-chrome" five-spoke 18-inch wheels and a new optional paint color called Ultrasonic Blue. More importantly, the F Sport Package gets special suspension and steering tuning to improve handling. Finally, F Sport models get new leather-and-microfiber seats to hold you in place and "F" badges on the steering wheel, shifter and door sills.

The biggest update for the average consumer, though, is the all-new IS 350 All-Wheel Drive model, essentially a more powerful version of the current IS 250 All-Wheel Drive, which by itself accounts for 30 percent of IS 250 sales nationally.

The IS 250C and IS 350C convertibles, meanwhile, get only minor changes. They include new black and silver interior trim and an optional Saddle Tan or Light Gray interior when you pop for the Luxury package. Deep Sea Mica replaces Ultrasonic Blue as the IS convertible's blue color option.

All 2011 IS models except the top-shelf IS F also get a slightly revised exterior. The front fascia received minor tweaks and is complemented by a revised grille and HID headlights with LED daytime running lights that are standard on the IS 350 and optional on the IS 250. Out back, the 2011 IS gets revised taillights and tailpipes.
http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/l...spx?ncid=12040
Old 07-16-10, 09:44 PM
LexFather

So wow...
2008 IS debuts...
2009 adds black interior trim, terra cotta interior....etc
2010 adds LSD, new wheels...etc
2011 gets revised suspension, LEDs and other updates

This shows Lexus is confident in this model as they continue to try to improve it instead of it soldiering on with no or minimal improvements. Very good news for the "F" brand!
Old 07-16-10, 10:47 PM
ArticKnght
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

nice to see that they removed the USB color option from the IS C options. Looks like its back to the ISF only. As it should be
Old 07-16-10, 11:28 PM
pdivizzle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I nd ISF
nice to see that they removed the USB color option from the IS C options. Looks like its back to the ISF only. As it should be
yeah, but its now available on the IS250/350 with the F-sport package
Old 07-17-10, 12:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i am also very happy to see lexus keep on improving, they definitely study hard on competitors and continue to improve the isf to match up. i would love to see how the tuned suspension is and what kind of improvement it can provide. very interested in knowing the steering change and how that's going to improve the feel / feedback!

the brake override, that's totally stupid
Old 07-17-10, 12:41 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

im glad to see the IS line continue to thrive. its such a great line of vehicles, with the 250/350, C, and F. led daytime running lights is a nice touch, although many have already opted to not even have them running and have them turned off in the LPS. a revised suspension would be something worth noting, though many here have gone to springs and even coilovers (myself included) to ease the harshness of the ride, while still maintaining the feedback from the road. and i wonder if the new gauges will be anything similar to the LFA gauge. that would be sick!!
Old 07-17-10, 08:02 AM
LexFather

I really hope to drive this 2011 version to feel suspension changes. I doubt Lexus has track events for it.

I also hope there is a way to delete the brake override. What a ridiculous feature! THANKS PEOPLE!
Old 07-17-10, 09:59 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So wow...
2008 ISF debuts...
2009 adds black interior trim, terra cotta interior....etc
2010 adds LSD, new wheels...etc
2011 gets revised suspension, LEDs and other updates

This shows Lexus is confident in this model as they continue to try to improve it instead of it soldiering on with no or minimal improvements. Very good news for the "F" brand!

Yes this is very Good News..... !!

Just like the 1st Gen IS300 / Altezza, which had a 7 year total run..
(with very minor updates through its run)

^^ The Lexus IS Line is a very strong player for the Brand...!!!

I do not expect to see a 3rd Gen IS or IS-F till around 2013.

I am also not surprised that the IS-F exterior remains exactly the same for 2011.
With the minimal yet very important improvements that are being done this time around.

IS-F units sold in 2009 were under 1,000 and 2010 will most likely be the same or even under approx 750 units..

This means Lexus is listening to their consumers even in this challenging economy..

Joe Z
Old 07-17-10, 07:41 PM
eFFer
Driver School Candidate

Default 2011 Lexus IS F-Sport Package?

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2010/07/1...sport-package/

What's your take on this new package on the IS? I think it's nice but I don't think I'm too thrilled about the USB color being available to an IS model, other than the F.
Old 07-17-10, 08:44 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

the USB has and always will be synonomous with the IS F. its a great color, but i feel it shouldve been exclusive to just the F. once the IS C came out, i was a bit shocked that USB was a color option. other than that, im glad lexus put together a specialized F-sport package. i remember them doing something similar with a special edition IS 350 C F-sport edition.

overall, im just please lexus is expanding its F-sport line with products and the limited release of the LFA, along with, of course, the IS F.
Old 07-18-10, 09:48 AM
mrduck
Driver School Candidate

Why be a poser and pretend you have an isf with f sport package on an is350? Most people would just step up and buy the real thing. Thats my opinion.
Old 07-18-10, 10:31 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mrduck
Why be a poser and pretend you have an isf with f sport package on an is350? Most people would just step up and buy the real thing. Thats my opinion.
Actually "most" people would take the lower payment and the poseur status.
Old 07-18-10, 10:42 AM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes u dont know how many ppl got those basic entry level challengers and camaros just to say they have one
Old 07-18-10, 11:33 AM
zojirushi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

/drool. I want those alcantara seats! I'm going to be so envious.
Old 07-18-10, 05:01 PM
markkin
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it. I like the look of the aggressive Lexus ISF without the V8. I do not go to car meets or track. Not everyone wants to be a poser. Very few people know what is the different between a Lexus IS vs ISF or a real Rolex vs fake Rolex watch. Before I research the Lexus IS, I did not know all the different types of BMW. All BMWs look the same.

Quick Reply: 2011 IS F (updated, official news and pics) Suspension Revised