IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Reconsidering the Factory Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-12, 03:56 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
100% sure it's fluid filled. It's in the New Car Features.
OK the front #2 yes, for some reason I thought you were referring to the rear. I will try to get these testing and see what kind of feedback I can get. Maybe a gopro stuck to the undercarriage for a comparison during a spirited drive on compliance..
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 02-21-12, 08:04 PM
Cleo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarbonDtls
Well I can tell you the cars pulling to the right because the camber is lower on that side. Camber really needs to be closer to even from side to side. I had this issue as well and didn't solve it until I got a front camber kit.
Thx for your input. I am going to ask for a subframe adjustment to correct the camber. If they refuse and say the alignment is within spec, I'll just point out the fact that the car pulls to the right when the brakes are applied and the steering wheel is not held.
Old 02-25-12, 08:03 AM
550fresh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone tried the spc camber kit on there is-f yet to help with inner tire wear my car is lowered on tein springs Im thinking about picking these up my front tires wear out about every 10 2 15 thousand miles
Old 02-25-12, 01:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,955 Likes on 2,395 Posts

Good luck with that. Changing camber won't solve your problem.
Old 02-26-12, 07:41 AM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Good luck with that. Changing camber won't solve your problem.
Can you elaborate on that a bit. I've read that a messed up toe eats up tires more so than faulty camber, but didn't really understand why. I've currently sent my front tires to 0 toe as recommended on this thread, but still have inner tire wear. Mind you, I am on coilovers (1/2 inch drop in the front, stoch height in the rear) and wider than stock tires (245's in the front, 285's in the rear). Any further input would be appreciated...Darshana S...
Old 02-26-12, 01:45 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

im in the same situation as well. i believe Lou said it before. its the combination of toe, camber, tires and road we drive on. something like that.
Old 02-26-12, 07:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Yes, but toe is the most critical for uneven tire wear. At this point, I'm pretty certain the problem is the bushings are too soft and under braking the front toes out more than anyone expects causing the inside edge wear to be far more than anyone familiar with alignment would believe.
Old 02-27-12, 01:01 PM
BHMTitan
Driver School Candidate

Yes, but toe is the most critical for uneven tire wear. At this point, I'm pretty certain the problem is the bushings are too soft and under braking the front toes out more than anyone expects causing the inside edge wear to be far more than anyone familiar with alignment would believe.
Do you think toe-in can be added (but not so much to create outer wear) so that inner wear (from toe-out during breaking) in reduced? I guess we're all looking for a happy medium. Due to inner wear on my wife's IS, I just had the toe set to 0.10 mm on each tire. We'll see.....
Old 02-27-12, 06:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by BHMTitan
Do you think toe-in can be added (but not so much to create outer wear) so that inner wear (from toe-out during breaking) in reduced? I guess we're all looking for a happy medium. Due to inner wear on my wife's IS, I just had the toe set to 0.10 mm on each tire. We'll see.....
That's what this thread is all about. I'm sharing my experience with increasing toe in trying to find the happy spot.
Old 03-27-12, 09:29 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

hopefully figs can get something done on this.
Old 03-27-12, 07:51 PM
hyboost
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 29 Posts

Lance, I just got the car re-aligned with toe set at 0. I'm about to put new wheels/tires on the car so I'll monitor wear and report back when I get some miles on them.

I'm not sure I like the feel of the car with it at 0 though...feels a little "floaty" and not as planted. I realize that you give up some handling to save the tires, so I'll try to convince myself to get used to it.

Thanks for the guidance on this

Rob
(ex-Supra-owner-with-a-Lance-alignment)
Old 03-27-12, 08:00 PM
Notavirus
Driver School Candidate

About to purchase a 2010 tomorrow, anything I should ask the dealer concerning this problem?

I drive mostly highway and this car will be my DD. I also won't drive this car nearly to it's potential like some folks will. No drag strip, auto x, or tracking. I've been lurking the forums for quite some time and have been trying to read up on this problem to see if it is specific to a certain year or tire.

any help is much much appreciated.
Old 03-28-12, 07:20 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

I would test drive it first and check if there is any mods on the car. Only way to truly tell is by getting the alignment sheet from the dealer. If caster and camber is close to equal on both side then you should be fine.
Old 03-28-12, 07:43 AM
Notavirus
Driver School Candidate

Cpo 2010, obsidian w/ white interior. They wont budge on the price so sadly i may have to walk away. Thanks though, if things proceed i will request an alignment
Old 04-22-12, 07:05 AM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

Hey lobuxracer
Any updates on a good alignment.

I have Megan rears and gonna get the SPC front, this is most likely not a camber issue so not sure if you found a sweet spot for toe.

I had 0.00 all around last set of tires and the rear wore perfectly but the fronts wore out inside. I am trying some toe in now hopefully this helps.

Quick Reply: Reconsidering the Factory Alignment