darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I just blew a tire out like this... No good
Old 05-20-12, 08:56 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

I just got some pretty conclusive evidence of the problem today. I will post up when we have the solution with proof and video.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 05-21-12, 09:30 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

about time Mike!!!
Old 05-21-12, 03:03 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

I seem to be having uneven OUTER front tire wear. Will that be addressed by the toe adjustment?
Old 05-21-12, 09:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Originally Posted by IceIridium
I seem to be having uneven OUTER front tire wear. Will that be addressed by the toe adjustment?
With the last adjustment I made, I'm now finally seeing more outside edge wear than inside. Part of it is my driving, but my observation is, the inside edge wear has pretty much stopped. The car doesn't feel "floaty" but doesn't turn in as nicely as it does with more toe out.

I need to get it measured where it is right now for a reference point. The last adjustment was calculated based on what Gran Turismo told me about how much each turn of the tie rod changed the toe.

FIGS - as soon as you're certain of your findings, please post up. We'd all like to know what you've discovered.
Old 05-21-12, 10:17 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
With the last adjustment I made, I'm now finally seeing more outside edge wear than inside. Part of it is my driving, but my observation is, the inside edge wear has pretty much stopped. The car doesn't feel "floaty" but doesn't turn in as nicely as it does with more toe out.

I need to get it measured where it is right now for a reference point. The last adjustment was calculated based on what Gran Turismo told me about how much each turn of the tie rod changed the toe.

FIGS - as soon as you're certain of your findings, please post up. We'd all like to know what you've discovered.
Will do, I just installed the proto UCA as well so I am trying not to change too much at once prior to heading to the rack for measurements. That is not the simple solution I am talking about but part of a higher end solution. I will post as soon as have the before and after vids.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 06-09-12, 09:21 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Any updates? I'm looking at getting some new tires and would like to make sure I've done what I can to prolong the life of the new tires.
Old 06-09-12, 09:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The last adjustment I made arrested the inside edge wear and started accelerating outside edge wear. I'm going to the track at the end of the month, so I'll be resetting to a toe out condition, then likely these tires will be toast - at least the rears will be without any doubt, and the fronts will likely be pretty hammered too.

Next up, Michelin PSS. Next track event is VIR in November. Looking forward to it all.
Old 07-16-12, 07:54 PM
FIGS
The Maker

And I think I finally have the proof and the solution. Please see this thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...eo-inside.html
Old 07-27-12, 06:26 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by hyboost
Lance, I just got the car re-aligned with toe set at 0. I'm about to put new wheels/tires on the car so I'll monitor wear and report back when I get some miles on them.

I'm not sure I like the feel of the car with it at 0 though...feels a little "floaty" and not as planted. I realize that you give up some handling to save the tires, so I'll try to convince myself to get used to it.

Thanks for the guidance on this

Rob
(ex-Supra-owner-with-a-Lance-alignment)
Rob,

Any more info on this? I believe I am experiencing the same thing now that I have my new wheels and tires installed (19 x 9.5 and 265/35/19s up front) and "0' toe. The car feels less planted up front like you indicated. I am lowered on HKS Hipermax M1 coilovers. With my stock wheels and tires and "0" toe (and my coilovers), my memory tells me the front end felt better. I do not know if the wider wheels and tires are a contributing factor with "0" toe, but we may be experiencing similar characteristics.

If I confirm this is, in fact, the case, I may return to factory toe specs even though I would hate to plow through my new Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I'm not convinced, yet, that there will not be a NVH penalty with FIGS' new bushing. If there is, I will likely, and begrudgingly, opt for accelerated tire wear.
Old 07-27-12, 07:30 PM
hyboost
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by KJH
Rob,

Any more info on this? I believe I am experiencing the same thing now that I have my new wheels and tires installed (19 x 9.5 and 265/35/19s up front) and "0' toe. The car feels less planted up front like you indicated. I am lowered on HKS Hipermax M1 coilovers. With my stock wheels and tires and "0" toe (and my coilovers), my memory tells me the front end felt better. I do not know if the wider wheels and tires are a contributing factor with "0" toe, but we may be experiencing similar characteristics.

If I confirm this is, in fact, the case, I may return to factory toe specs even though I would hate to plow through my new Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I'm not convinced, yet, that there will not be a NVH penalty with FIGS' new bushing. If there is, I will likely, and begrudgingly, opt for accelerated tire wear.
Ken,
I did the alignment first and the wheels later, and from my experience the wheels didn't seem to make much of a difference (255s in front). It was all in the alignment. I definitely plan to go back to factory toe settings combined with FIGS bushings. I will report back when I get it all done.

Off topic, but how do you like the Hipermax coilovers? I was thinking of going KW since that seems to be the common and positive one to go with, but would love to hear your experience with the HKS. PM me when you get a chance.

Rob
Old 07-30-12, 03:54 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

lobuxracer,

Just curious if you do get these new bushings from FIGS which I saw in the other thread which is a plausible solution.

There is a possibility that the factory alignment specs should work then correct?
Old 07-30-12, 04:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Yes, exactly correct. I also suspect trail braking at the track will be less effective - in my last session I was working on trail braking, and it really helped the car turn in. I didn't know we were getting so much toe out on braking - now it makes sense why trail braking works so well with the stock bushings.
Old 09-01-12, 08:28 AM
zojirushi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an alignment performed after having PPE headers installed. The shop assured that they used factory specs however they set it to zero toe in the front. What's also disconcerting is the disparity between the camber on the front tires. Is this a result of lowering the subframe for the header install? Will I need a subframe alignment? Thanks!

Old 09-01-12, 01:12 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

looks like they need to adjust the subframe some more...im not sure if i should get the alignment now since they didn't do it good....might just do the install and go to another spot.

Last edited by Evil Teo; 09-01-12 at 01:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Reconsidering the Factory Alignment