IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Reconsidering the Factory Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-11, 02:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,955 Likes on 2,395 Posts

Originally Posted by spekterg35
Thanks for the info. Are you going with the same tires?
I did go with the same Bridgestones. If things go the way I expect, this will be the last set of these I run. I'll likely run something higher mileage in the future as I'll have a set of wheels specifically for track duty, and I really don't need all the performance (or cost) summer tires give me for street driving.

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
since u mention more toe in how much would you set yours to?
I turned the rod ends 1/4 turn on each end for a total of 0.75mm more toe-in from the previous setting. Since Gran Turismo showed me each turn is worth 1.5mm of toe, I figured I could easily do it myself and save $100. I'll continue to post what I discover in this thread with the new tires. I have confidence it is possible to get this right - my IS350 wore the fronts perfectly evenly down to the wear bars. I just want to have the same tire life with my F.
Old 07-27-11, 04:41 PM
spekterg35
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles did you get out of the last set? Also, how many track days did you have on them?
Old 07-27-11, 07:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Barely 20k. One track weekend.
Old 08-06-11, 12:47 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

got mine done today with my new pss tires
lobux or anyone else have any opinions for next time?
advice always appreciated
Attached Thumbnails Reconsidering the Factory Alignment-img_0631.jpg  
Old 08-06-11, 07:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I'd go for closer to zero on the front next time. I tried a small amount of toe out and still got excessive inside edge wear.
Old 08-06-11, 08:39 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

whats your opinion on the rear
I had pretty even ware on my backs last time, i was pleased
Old 08-07-11, 06:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The rear is fine. The car should turn better with those settings.
Old 08-10-11, 03:07 PM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the general rule is more-or-less as close to 0 on the TOE - Front and Rear - as possible, is what I'm gathering?

I'm going to the tire shop tomorrow to replace my fronts. I'm tired of this uneven wear.
Old 08-11-11, 07:51 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I know my car is not IS-F might may provide some insight.

Originally Posted by mugenh22a4
This was a good read. It sounds like I'll be getting my car in for re-alignment soon.

For you Seattle area guys, I go to Speedware Motorsports in Redmond to do my alignments. They do prep for race cars and I've always gotten good advice and results from them. I've also heard that Fordahl in Bellevue is good too. I haven't been there myself.

I'll be calculating and posting the 1/32 to 1/16ths toe out to an equivalent degrees pretty soon. It's still dark out and I can't get an accurate measurement on the OD of the front tires.
I get my alignments done by Byron from Tru-Line in Bellevue.

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
So the general rule is more-or-less as close to 0 on the TOE - Front and Rear - as possible, is what I'm gathering?

I'm going to the tire shop tomorrow to replace my fronts. I'm tired of this uneven wear.
I'm not sure if this is correct regarding total toe being close to 0 or dead on. For me when I found a good alignment place (Tru-Line), the "Steer Ahead" and "Thrust Angle" is 0. Notice the Total Toe is not 0.

I had an alignment done for my 07 IS250 AWD last year and corrected everything supposedly factory aligned. Steering was off and the car could not quite keep straight. No problem with my tires and had them rotated at 12K and still looking good (currently about 17K) since the alignment.

I also had my 08 IS250 RWD aligned today as well (I got the car from Lexus 10 days ago). After the alignment, the car felt solid and can feel the car because I mentioned to Byron before he aligned it that it drove fine but felt like the car floats as if it was lacking grip and feel. It was aligned at the dealership too before I bought it (verified through the service history).

My car checked every 4-5K miles by Byron so he can inspect and feel the tires as per his recommendation track the progress of the tire and also give recommendations if necessary.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/4034/align.jpg - 07 IS250 AWD
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/2629/align2.jpg - 08 IS250 RWD
Old 08-11-11, 09:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R

No. Front zero toe. Rear at factory numbers - 3mm toe in.
Old 08-11-11, 09:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Sango
I know my car is not IS-F might may provide some insight.

I get my alignments done by Byron from Tru-Line in Bellevue.

I'm not sure if this is correct regarding total toe being close to 0 or dead on. For me when I found a good alignment place (Tru-Line), the "Steer Ahead" and "Thrust Angle" is 0. Notice the Total Toe is not 0.

I had an alignment done for my 07 IS250 AWD last year and corrected everything supposedly factory aligned. Steering was off and the car could not quite keep straight. No problem with my tires and had them rotated at 12K and still looking good (currently about 17K) since the alignment.

I also had my 08 IS250 RWD aligned today as well (I got the car from Lexus 10 days ago). After the alignment, the car felt solid and can feel the car because I mentioned to Byron before he aligned it that it drove fine but felt like the car floats as if it was lacking grip and feel. It was aligned at the dealership too before I bought it (verified through the service history).

My car checked every 4-5K miles by Byron so he can inspect and feel the tires as per his recommendation track the progress of the tire and also give recommendations if necessary.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/4034/align.jpg - 07 IS250 AWD
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/2629/align2.jpg - 08 IS250 RWD
No one here has run toe out in the front and not had inside edge wear. 2WD models do not have the adjustments available on the 4WD models. Steer ahead doesn't mean much for inside edge wear on both sides.

Your RWD printout looks weird. The before numbers are way off in every respect. I have no idea how they got to the final numbers unless your tire pressures were bad on the initial reading, then fixed for the final printout.
Old 08-11-11, 10:21 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No one here has run toe out in the front and not had inside edge wear. 2WD models do not have the adjustments available on the 4WD models. Steer ahead doesn't mean much for inside edge wear on both sides.

Your RWD printout looks weird. The before numbers are way off in every respect. I have no idea how they got to the final numbers unless your tire pressures were bad on the initial reading, then fixed for the final printout.
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8530/img0675l.jpg - Rear tires (which were at the front initially before first rotation at about 12K, this about 2K after)

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/4407/img0678t.jpg - Front tires (which were at the back initally before first rotation at about 12K, this is about 2K after)

I barely have any sign of inside wear from the pics - it does show signs on the outside (cupping), but was confirmed as normal wear from city driving and steering.

As for the RWD car which appears werid, the tech did say he worked on the geometry of the car.
Old 08-11-11, 10:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

So problem 1 - AWD geometry is completely different from the F or the 2WD 2IS, so comparing them is very much apples to oranges.

Problem 2 - the initial settings on the 2WD compared to the final settings look very suspicious. "Working on the geometry" could mean a lot of things, but to fix camber is next to impossible. There isn't any appreciable slack in the bushings to exploit. The only thing we've seen is moving the front subframe, and this only corrects camber imbalance from side to side (it does also affect caster, but doesn't usually "fix" it without the caster correction bushings Lexus sells.) Your tech may have done a combination of things, but I'd still bet you'll have inside edge wear issues with as much toe out as you have. It won't be obvious until you've put at least 24k km on them.
Old 08-11-11, 10:54 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Oh ok, I'll be on the look out on how the tire wear goes since the tech does recommend seeing him about every 8K KM so he can track the tire wear patterns and give advise if necessary.

Since I just got the RWD 10 day ago and has brand new tires, I doubt I'll hit that high KM that fast!! In fact, my dad said for my trips between Canada/US (which I do often), use the AWD (which he actually bought off me) to save mileage (odometer) on the RWD (my car). I will see how this plays out.

Last edited by Sango; 08-11-11 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-12-11, 04:46 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

i saw nice ware on my back tires
fairly even to me
thats how u burn a 400 dollar tire
Attached Thumbnails Reconsidering the Factory Alignment-img_0628.jpg  

Quick Reply: Reconsidering the Factory Alignment