IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F vs. JB3 335I E90

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-10, 01:46 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealership couldn't get me in for a week and a half. Limp mode was bad. Turbos shut off and I was misfiring on 3 cylinders. Car is very shakey and feels like its going to stall out.
Old 07-06-10, 01:48 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

This isn't going so well in the BMW forum! They feel as if I'm deserting them or something. Geeze, what's wrong with a guy wanting a reliable car? They keep posting youtube videos on how the m3 is a superior car.
Old 07-06-10, 02:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
The dealership couldn't get me in for a week and a half. Limp mode was bad. Turbos shut off and I was misfiring on 3 cylinders. Car is very shakey and feels like its going to stall out.
wow that sux. shouldn't they have you bring in the car and give you a loaner or rental while the car was being fixed? when my m3 went into limp mode, that was 8am. 9am i was at dealership, got a rental, and 1pm the following day, i got the call my car was done. when i called my SA, he was like bring the car in immediately, drive careful, he would give me rental while the car was being diagnosed and during the time it took to get the parts

This isn't going so well in the BMW forum! They feel as if I'm deserting them or something. Geeze, what's wrong with a guy wanting a reliable car? They keep posting youtube videos on how the m3 is a superior car.
well, i am not surprised, that's just how it goes. just like if there is a thread about 2is, i can only imagine what you'd get. just don't let them get to you. everyone has their priorities in their cars, some wants the fun, some wants the reliability, there is no absolute.

me myself, i have been very happy about my m3. i won't go into which one is better again, it won't go anywhere. but except the one time it went into limp mode with a faulty sensor, my car has been completely problem free and to be honest, my gs350 had more problems and went into the shop more than my m3. doesn't make me credit or discredit lexus/bmw more though, i still see the goods and bads, i can only say it's my luck with the gs and m3
Old 07-06-10, 02:10 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was the IS-F available when you made the jump from your IS250 to your 335i?

I wouldn't be surprised if your e90 is faster than a stock F, but obviously you are looking for better build quality and reliability. As such, the F is a great choice.

To s4play's point, this is like comparing a modded IS350 to an m3. It's understandable that you are comparing them because you own one, and the price difference may not be dramatic. However, at the end of the day, there is no question which car is better. It's a matter of whether you want to make the upgrade to an F.

One thing to note though, if you are expecting aftermarket support like you are getting with your e90, then you should stick with BMW, as you get a lot more choices with mods.
Old 07-06-10, 02:34 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
wow that sux. shouldn't they have you bring in the car and give you a loaner or rental while the car was being fixed? when my m3 went into limp mode, that was 8am. 9am i was at dealership, got a rental, and 1pm the following day, i got the call my car was done. when i called my SA, he was like bring the car in immediately, drive careful, he would give me rental while the car was being diagnosed and during the time it took to get the parts

well, i am not surprised, that's just how it goes. just like if there is a thread about 2is, i can only imagine what you'd get. just don't let them get to you. everyone has their priorities in their cars, some wants the fun, some wants the reliability, there is no absolute.

me myself, i have been very happy about my m3. i won't go into which one is better again, it won't go anywhere. but except the one time it went into limp mode with a faulty sensor, my car has been completely problem free and to be honest, my gs350 had more problems and went into the shop more than my m3. doesn't make me credit or discredit lexus/bmw more though, i still see the goods and bads, i can only say it's my luck with the gs and m3
They were out of loaner cars for a week and a half. That's why it took so long.
Old 07-06-10, 02:40 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by primecut
Was the IS-F available when you made the jump from your IS250 to your 335i?

I wouldn't be surprised if your e90 is faster than a stock F, but obviously you are looking for better build quality and reliability. As such, the F is a great choice.

To s4play's point, this is like comparing a modded IS350 to an m3. It's understandable that you are comparing them because you own one, and the price difference may not be dramatic. However, at the end of the day, there is no question which car is better. It's a matter of whether you want to make the upgrade to an F.

One thing to note though, if you are expecting aftermarket support like you are getting with your e90, then you should stick with BMW, as you get a lot more choices with mods.
The IS-F was indeed out when I bought the 335i. The reason I went for the 335 was that I knew I could make it very comparable to the F for $10k less. I managed that. I just assumed I wouldn't get hit with the issues I'm having. The 335 is a very plush car that for $600 is on the same level as the Lexus in the performance category. I rolled the dice and lost out on reliability. I've never really been a "modder," but the chip is the main reason I went the route I did. I don't believe I'd do anything to the F. Too much buck and not enough bang.
Old 07-06-10, 05:36 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Cons? Not a whole lot. Price is one. I thought it'd still be faster than my modded 335, but it's about the same. Still put a smile on my face.
Not sure how your warranty will hold up with your mods, but a stock F is unlikely to cause significant issues, while delivering similar straight-line performance on the street, w/ warranty. If your main draw to the 335 was to gamble hp/$ in the hopes of competing with the faster car from the factory, I'd cut my losses and go for the car you keep wishing for-- one that performs, and does so reliably.

Again, its a safe decision, given you have no real objection to the F. Performance is good, but consistent performance is great...you've set your criteria, so its only a matter of acquiring it.
Old 07-07-10, 02:14 AM
infinus
Lead Lap

Ah, the secondary intake...I love the sound! I wish it was there all the time. Is there away to make that happen without letting the rpm's drop? I actually posted a thread on it. My wife loved it too.
You can unplug either the vacuum line and plug it with a cap or just unplug the connector leading to the secondary intake and wrap the ends with electrical tape and you'll hear that growl sooner.

I was considering a 335i/m3 before the F too but I have no regrets going with the lexus. My cousin has had issues with his 335 too and his is bone stock. Also driving through my work parking lot there are tons of M's but only one ISF and its mine

Last edited by infinus; 07-07-10 at 02:22 AM.
Old 07-07-10, 09:46 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think one of the guys here makes a good point ~

You can modify any turbo car such as the BMW 335i or EVO, Neon SRT, etc but once you start doing that, you sacrifice reliability/warranty issues.

A naturally aspirated IS-F or e92 m3 is just fast out of the box, no warranty issues, no headaches, etc.

The way my wife calls it is that one is a boy racer car and one is a grown-up's toy. Take your pick
Old 07-07-10, 11:14 AM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Agree and I will further point out that based on the BMW forums and reliability surveys, the 335i has issues relating to its HPFP even when it is stock
Old 07-07-10, 12:11 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Autobacs
Agree and I will further point out that based on the BMW forums and reliability surveys, the 335i has issues relating to its HPFP even when it is stock
You are correct sir.
Old 07-07-10, 12:16 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

I just wanted to thank you guys for your thoughts on this matter. I haven't been on here in awhile (even though I still own a GX470), and you guys are all class acts. After spending an hour and a half with the sales manager (who is a personal friend of mine), my wife and I decided to keep the 335. It's just too much fun and still put a smile on my face every time I drive it. I like everything about it and I'm going to shrug off the issues again. Let's just say my wife and I have put it on "probation." I think the move to the F would be a lateral move in terms of performance, while at the same time, paying $10k more. I love the F and my current car, but can't justify paying that amount for the reliability when I'm still under warranty. I'll probably keep my eye open for a good deal on an F, but I'm not buying the one I drove. Anyway, you guys that own one are very blessed. It's a great car!
Old 07-07-10, 01:34 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

One thing to consider though is that it will probably be easier to sell your BMW while it still has the warranty than without.
Old 07-07-10, 01:58 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
just curious, why limp mode for a week and a half?

seems like limp mode in 335 is worse than m3? when my car was in limp mode it was still way faster than corolla
your car was in limp mode Henry???
Old 07-07-10, 03:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,399 Posts

They were out of loaner cars for a week and a half. That's why it took so long.
If this doesn't directly speak to reliability issues, I don't know what does. Good luck with keeping it, and I hope the next time you're in limp mode they actually have a loaner for you. I wouldn't drive anything in limp mode any further than my garage.

Quick Reply: IS-F vs. JB3 335I E90