IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F vs. JB3 335I E90

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 07:33 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heck, look up what my heavy GT-R weighs with only 2 doors.
Old 04-10-12, 08:33 PM
Kingdavid
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbo1978

Embarrassment of cranking forever in public in your brand new BMW was least of my concern. If the Lexus holds up I am planning on keeping it as a DD and get something edgier as my weekend car. BMW may build great sports-luxo car but it can never beat a purebred, single focused sports car. M3 GTS is the single closest thing to one and unfortunately it will never come to states and for that price tag, there are many competitors to choose from.

I am a car guy, not a brand *****.
Ok.....The m3 has been stomping the likes of GT-R's, Aston Martins, Corvettes etc. around the track for years now so saying that the m3 isn't a sports car is flat-out erroneous. Sure the turner, G-power, Motorscheif and numerous other teams could be wrong....but.....

Furthermore, for a "car guy not a brand *****" you just dropped some pretty heavy brand names. IF you REALLY want a sports car you wouldn't be grabbing for a cayman (The least sporty of the porsches outside the panemera and cayenne lol) anyway and you wouldn't bother with aston martins or GT-Rs either when true "sports cars" have names like "Lotus" and "Radical" and both cost less than the former three (Minues the older model GT-R's which are a steal noawadays)

I've always considered myself a "car guy" as well, though I prefer to watch a much loved, much tuned miata make z06's and gt500's look bad around the track than watch someone throw money at a dealership for an automotive codpiece.

Finally, Bmw makes what it likes to call the M-6 and no it's not a sports car. for lack of the name it's a SUPERcar with performance levels that are equal or better than cars three times its cost. (Though its times around the nurburgring aren't anywhere near some cheaper cars numbers but neither are the R-8's lambo's, ferrari's, or bugatti's)

And no, I'm not some butt hurt beamer snob, I've never owned a bmw and Quite frankly I'm not a huge fan of a brand that produces a frankenstein of a car just to one up Lexus...but I suppose when you're about to lose you're only edge against your competitor you'de make desperate moves to.
Old 04-10-12, 08:42 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

LOL, you bumped a thread that is over a year old to say your piece? What is with all the crazy old thread bumps, how are people finding this stuff haha.
Old 04-11-12, 08:43 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kingdavid
Ok.....The m3 has been stomping the likes of GT-R's, Aston Martins, Corvettes etc. around the track for years now so saying that the m3 isn't a sports car is flat-out erroneous. Sure the turner, G-power, Motorscheif and numerous other teams could be wrong....but.....

Furthermore, for a "car guy not a brand *****" you just dropped some pretty heavy brand names. IF you REALLY want a sports car you wouldn't be grabbing for a cayman (The least sporty of the porsches outside the panemera and cayenne lol) anyway and you wouldn't bother with aston martins or GT-Rs either when true "sports cars" have names like "Lotus" and "Radical" and both cost less than the former three (Minues the older model GT-R's which are a steal noawadays)

I've always considered myself a "car guy" as well, though I prefer to watch a much loved, much tuned miata make z06's and gt500's look bad around the track than watch someone throw money at a dealership for an automotive codpiece.

Finally, Bmw makes what it likes to call the M-6 and no it's not a sports car. for lack of the name it's a SUPERcar with performance levels that are equal or better than cars three times its cost. (Though its times around the nurburgring aren't anywhere near some cheaper cars numbers but neither are the R-8's lambo's, ferrari's, or bugatti's)

And no, I'm not some butt hurt beamer snob, I've never owned a bmw and Quite frankly I'm not a huge fan of a brand that produces a frankenstein of a car just to one up Lexus...but I suppose when you're about to lose you're only edge against your competitor you'de make desperate moves to.
Wow, I started this thread awhile back. I now own an IS-F. But, to the point of an M3 stomping a GT-R....wow. Come on man, he was referring to street legal cars in base form. I went from my GT-R to my IS-F (which we all know is on par with an M3) and I can tell you that there is absolutely NO comparision between these cars. My IS-F feels like a dog in every way, compared to my old GT-R. I understand that anything can be modded and tuned to be faster than the next guy, but stock for stock buying off the dealership floor....NO way. He wasn't talking about track prepped race cars. I'm sure you know that, but maybe you missed the point bobbo was getting at. I too will use my IS-F as a daily driver when it's paid for and will get another GT-R (or whatever "real" sports car) at that point. M3's and IS-F's are fun cars to drive, but they just aren't a GT-R, Z06, etc...

And yes this is over a year old! Who know's what bobbo has now?!
Old 04-11-12, 09:07 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Just curious how the GT-R was for you? I had consider going that route, then started reading on the HEAVY maintenance requirements and expenditures.
Old 04-12-12, 04:34 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

LOVED that thing! I teared up the day I made the decision to part with it. My wife and I decided we wanted another child, so I made the call on getting out of the GT-R. We're have another little girl in June! It is expensive to maintain and is a major reason I sold it. It was not my DD and I didn't want it to be. I hated my RX 330 DD and I would constantly drive the GT-R over it. But yeah, $2500 tires, $1500 fluid changes, brakes $8000 (but go aftermarket), insurance, tax, ect... It adds up. But if you don't think about the money, the smile and laughter that machine will give makes that kinda money worth every cent. Unfortunately for me...I started think about the money.
Old 04-12-12, 05:52 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingdavid
Furthermore, for a "car guy not a brand *****" you just dropped some pretty heavy brand names. IF you REALLY want a sports car you wouldn't be grabbing for a cayman (The least sporty of the porsches outside the panemera and cayenne lol)
Clearly you've never seen the Panamera truly driven. As the Sears appliance guy says, "Let me drop some knowledge on you!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_(U.S._TV_series)

Segments: Power Laps is a segment of the program in which The Stig completes a lap around the track in a reviewed car to compare its performance to previous contenders.

All laps are timed with the car's manufacturer-provided adjustable settings configured for maximum performance — all adjustable suspensions are set at their most efficient, all gear shift maps are at their most aggressive, and driving aids such as traction control are deactivated.

Power Lap Times
1.1:18.6 – Ariel Atom
2.1:19.5 – Tanner's Ford Fiesta Rallycross
3.1:22.0 – Dodge Viper SRT-10 ACR
4.1:22.4 – Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
5.1:22.6 – Lexus LFA[9]
6.1:22.8 – Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggera
7.1:23.3 – Ferrari 458 Italia
8.1:23.4 – Lamborghini Murciélago LP 670–4 SuperVeloce
9.1:25.3 – Porsche Panamera Turbo
10.1:26.9 – Lamborghini Gallardo LP 550–2 Balboni
11.1:27.2 – Cadillac CTS-V Sport Wagon
12.1:27.4 – Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
13.1:27.6 – Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG
14.1:28.2 – Aston Martin V12 Vantage
15.1:28.2 – Ford Mustang Boss 302
16.1:28.4 – Lotus Evora (wet)
17.1:28.5 – Ferrari California
18.1:28.9 – Roush Mustang
19.1:29.2 – Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR
20.1:30.0 – Subaru Impreza WRX STI
21.1:30.0 – BMW X6 M
22.1:39.0 – Hennessey F-150 VelociRaptor 600

You still think it's not a sports car?
Old 04-12-12, 06:01 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Good info...I believe the 2009-2011 GT-R ran 1:19.7 with winter wheels and all season tires. The newer ones ran even faster, but I don't recall the times. I think the Bugatti was in the 1:16 ballpark. I'm sure the M3 runs around a 1:02....
Old 04-12-12, 07:23 AM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
Good info...I believe the 2009-2011 GT-R ran 1:19.7 with winter wheels and all season tires. The newer ones ran even faster, but I don't recall the times. I think the Bugatti was in the 1:16 ballpark. I'm sure the M3 runs around a 1:02....
Phideltbee, I have to disgree you are dead wrong on M3 there is no way it ran 1:02 it more like 1:01:992.1 I hate when people can get there facts straight
Old 04-12-12, 03:14 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
LOVED that thing! I teared up the day I made the decision to part with it. My wife and I decided we wanted another child, so I made the call on getting out of the GT-R. We're have another little girl in June! It is expensive to maintain and is a major reason I sold it. It was not my DD and I didn't want it to be. I hated my RX 330 DD and I would constantly drive the GT-R over it. But yeah, $2500 tires, $1500 fluid changes, brakes $8000 (but go aftermarket), insurance, tax, ect... It adds up. But if you don't think about the money, the smile and laughter that machine will give makes that kinda money worth every cent. Unfortunately for me...I started think about the money.
Thanks for the information. Guess you have to pay to play. Co gratulations on the new youngun coming.
Old 04-16-12, 09:35 AM
Kingdavid
Driver

Originally Posted by melbitoast
Clearly you've never seen the Panamera truly driven.

You still think it's not a sports car?
Ok first of all that's topgear lol. And hey i didn't say it wasn't "a" sports car. It's still a damn porsche after all. But what do think the stigs time is with a carrera s or a 911turbo? THAT was my point. Also
2.1:19.5 – Tanner's Ford Fiesta Rallycross ftw lol.
Old 04-16-12, 01:27 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The cars are two different animals.

Your 335is was spec'd at 4.7/4.8 sec 0-60 with a 150 mph top end out of the box; the F will run 4.4 out of the box with a 170-175 mph limited top end.

The 1/10 of a second shifts in manual F mode are a blast.

I have to believe there is an even bigger difference on the track.

You won't regret the F.
Old 04-17-12, 07:04 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISF001
The cars are two different animals.

Your 335is was spec'd at 4.7/4.8 sec 0-60 with a 150 mph top end out of the box; the F will run 4.4 out of the box with a 170-175 mph limited top end.

The 1/10 of a second shifts in manual F mode are a blast.

I have to believe there is an even bigger difference on the track.

You won't regret the F.
Did you happen to read the whole thread? I bought a GT-R and now have an IS-F. : )