IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F vs. JB3 335I E90

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-10, 05:50 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS-F vs. JB3 335I E90

With all the issues I've been having with the Bimmer lately, my wife and I decided to test drive the IS-F. Man, these things are hard to find. I found 1 in a 200 mile radius. 2008 with 12,000 miles for $44,995. Anyway, I'm comparing this with my current 2008 E90 335. I have lowered it on Eibach Prokit, put 18" Miro 111 with Dunlop Starspecs Z1 (265 on rear), and just a JB3 on map 3 (91 octane). I have 25,000 miles on her. So that's the bar.

Starting the IS-F brings a smile to your face. You know it's a V-8, but it's very subtle. The seats feel amazing! They've got to be the most comfortable of any car I've sit in. Since I've already owned an IS250, the dash wasn't anything real new to me. I like it, but I like the BMW a tad better due to the iDrive and usb integration. Overall, the interior is very nice and luxurious. Now, to the good stuff. This is a very subtle car just driving around town. Very IS250ish if you will. Hit the gas and this car transforms into a monster. Jeckyl and Hyde describes it best. When you go WOT, the upper intake completely opens up and gives you a sound that is unforgetable. My only problem with this, is that I wish it was constant. It's intoxicating, but like I said, drive it normal and it's not there. I got on it from 70-"not telling" and from 0-80. It's fast...no doubt. Is it faster than the BMW? Not sure. Both my wife and I thought the Bimmer felt faster, but it also shifts harder and has much better tires IMO. The shifts in the Lexus are sooo smooth. I think it takes away from the "feel" of a hard shift. Is a JB3 map 3 BMW faster than an IS-F? I wouldn't think so. Feel free to chime in on that one. They're comparable IMO. I felt more comfortable in the Bimmer as far as handle, but again, I think it due to the tires and the fact that I'm used to driving it. The Lexus definately stayed nicely planted over the speed limit around a turn. Felt great, but not completely used to it.

At the end of the day, there are things I like about both cars. I felt more connected to the BMW. I like the looks of the IS-F better. I like the sound of the IS-F. Speed is a tossup. Handling? Not a definitive answer. Reliability? The reason I drove the Lexus. Will I get one? Probably, just not sure when yet. The Bimmer might get one more chance. I realize I'm preaching to the choir on most of this as it was directed more to the BMW forum. I'm riding the fence right now on what to do. Thoughts?

Old 07-06-10, 07:24 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
I'm riding the fence right now on what to do. Thoughts?
I can't really speak much to your modified 3 series, but if your consideration is whether or not you should replace it with F, then I don't see much issue there, given your details. Both cars are plenty fast and handle very well for primarily street driven vehicles, while you already enjoy the familiar IS experience given you drive a 250. The F remains plenty behaved when necessary, as you've experienced, but also has a distinctively aggressive style to it when you're ready to go.

The upgrade in the transmission behavior, by itself, was enough for me to move from the 350, while something you may have overlooked in the sensation part of the experience, was the fact that the F also gets great gas mileage (likely less-so than your 250, though). I'm currently averaging 20ish MPG, in about 75% city driving, which is comparable to what I achieved in the 350. Above all, its a very well-rounded package, and a rather safe decision to make, if you decide to pull the trigger.

What cons would sway you from the decision to go after the F?

(Adding my personal opinion, so far as the secondary intake goes, I think part of the allure is that its not audible at all times...but you can 'fix' this by not letting your RPMs drop, lol. )
Old 07-06-10, 07:33 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X

What cons would sway you from the decision to go after the F?

(Adding my personal opinion, so far as the secondary intake goes, I think part of the allure is that its not audible at all times...but you can 'fix' this by not letting your RPMs drop, lol. )
Cons? Not a whole lot. Price is one. I thought it'd still be faster than my modded 335, but it's about the same. Still put a smile on my face. I just put new wheels and tires on the Bimmer and dropped it. It's going to suck having to part out everything.

Ah, the secondary intake...I love the sound! I wish it was there all the time. Is there away to make that happen without letting the rpm's drop? I actually posted a thread on it. My wife loved it too.
Old 07-06-10, 07:36 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would move up to the ISF. JB3 335 is faster than a stock ISF hands down. But when you get Bolt-Ons the ISF takes the lead. The feel of the car is very different than the BMW like you said. But IMO its something you get used to. I dont drive my ISF much but when i do its a blast! I Just drove up to Jacksonville Florida a few days ago(350miles) and the car was perfect for the drive. IMO you should pick up an ISF. Better Resale, reliability, and status.
Old 07-06-10, 07:48 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
I would move up to the ISF. JB3 335 is faster than a stock ISF hands down. But when you get Bolt-Ons the ISF takes the lead. The feel of the car is very different than the BMW like you said. But IMO its something you get used to. I dont drive my ISF much but when i do its a blast! I Just drove up to Jacksonville Florida a few days ago(350miles) and the car was perfect for the drive. IMO you should pick up an ISF. Better Resale, reliability, and status.
Geeze, are you F/I with those numbers?!

Here's my 335i

Old 07-06-10, 08:40 AM
mrohno
Driver

Did you drive the F in sport mode? The sport mode seems to have more power readily available and the growl seems to happen sooner and more often. Also the shifting is quicker and harder in sport mode. I swore I would never own another Japanese car (big Audi fan here with 4 Audi's owned since my last Infiniti and my F, wife still drives Audi, Q7 S-sline) but after driving the F...I fell for all the things you seem to find yourself enjoying about the car...also like the fact that I can sort of fly under the radar, not too many people know what an IS-F is! Its like filet or lobster...can't go wrong either way. My 2 pennies.
Old 07-06-10, 08:54 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Yes, I drove it in Sport mode. The "growl" is addictive. I want more of it. I'm sure an after market intake would help with the sound when that "growl" isn't kicking in. I like the under the radar effect. My Bimmer (with JB3) has more of it than the IS-F. Just destroys 99% of the cars on the road. I've had several cars learn the hardway. Latest victim was a Ford Lightning. Not that we flaunt it in these cars, but it's fun to know it's there when you want it. Out of curiousity, what a typical 0-60 and 1320 time you guys have been seeing on a stock IS-F? I'm guessing my 335 is around 12.9 ish on "good" street tires. I'm guessing on average for the IS-F 4.5 and 12.7? Sound about right? I'm not sure my 335i completely beats out a stock IS-F, more of a drivers race.
Old 07-06-10, 09:32 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

i dont know. my buddy has an 08 6spd 335i with the JB3, new charge pipes and bov. that thing gets up and moves quick!
Old 07-06-10, 09:41 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
i dont know. my buddy has an 08 6spd 335i with the JB3, new charge pipes and bov. that thing gets up and moves quick!
There is NO doubt they can be fast cars. Some of them are running mid 11's around 130mph!! Don't get me wrong, I love the car. But dang it, make it not break down!!! I was actually hoping the IS-F would be a lot faster, but it is what it is. They are close to the same. Keep in mind, the only thing I've done under the hood, is the chip on the default setting which is map 3. I think they go up to like map 12 and map 1 is customizable. I'm putting more torque to the wheels than the IS-F puts to the crank. The IS-F has me on HP though. I'm guessing I'm around 350 to the wheels, but running 265's. I can nearly floor it from a stop without the tires breaking loose. It doesn't sound like the F though!
Old 07-06-10, 09:53 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

im sure you can make the isf quicker but i dont think the isf has parts like a jb3 that it can just throw in. the isf would take more work and parts. imo both are great cars and im sure both have their problems. theres no car out there that doesnt, so trying to find a car that doesnt break down is impossible. are you have problems with your fuel pump?
Old 07-06-10, 10:04 AM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

I actually owned an e92 335i with JB+ and JB3 at different times. Before I got my ISF I was seriously considering getting another 335i. The N54 engine is truly amazing. With the JB3 map 3 I would think the 335 at the very least would keep up with the ISF. The JB3 made the 335i FAST but I went back to the JB+ because I was concerned about the reliability of the car and more specifically the HPFP.

I absolutely loved my 335i when I got it back in mid-2009. I ended up selling it because I did not need a car for a few months. Boy did that car sell quick. It was a loaded black/black with tint, linea corse, kwv2, jb+, dci, oem lip, painted mesh, etc. and I was getting interested buyers from all over the country! The car, although common, always got thumbs up and questions from anyone and everyone. It was a good type of attention.

Like the OP, I too also really liked the iDrive on my E92. It was easy to use and being able to use it while the car was in motion is a real plus. I know there is a plug n play for the Lexus Navigation so it’s not that big of a deal at the moment. Overall I would say I prefer the IS-F interior due to the super soft leather, the silver cf, the contrast of the Navigation is much better than that of the 07-08 3 series Navigation, and I can watch DVD’s in the ISF!

This time around I wanted a 335i convertible but I began looking at the ISF. The reliability was one of the main reasons I chose the ISF over the 335i. I have yet to hear of any consistently major issues with the car. The 6/72k powertrain warranty on the Lexus’s are great. The fact that the original owner of my car purchased it in Jan of 2009 gives me another 4.5 years of warranty left on the powertrain! I was always worried about the engine or HPFP giving out on the BMW. I had an existing warranty on the 335 but it’s never comfortable having to think about the same problems other members on e90 have had with their 335 (long crank anyone?). I’ve only had my ISF for 3 days but I find myself driving it for any and every reason. It is truly an amazing car. Fast, fun, luxurious, reliable, and decent on gas and mine is UltraSonic Blue! What more could you ask for??

BTW heres a pic...now this thread will be flooded with 335 pics haha

Last edited by daniel3ooo; 07-06-10 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-06-10, 10:18 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by daniel3ooo
I actually owned an e92 335i with JB+ and JB3 at different times. Before I got my ISF I was seriously considering getting another 335i. The N54 engine is truly amazing. With the JB3 map 3 I would think the 335 at the very least would keep up with the ISF. The JB3 made the 335i FAST but I went back to the JB+ because I was concerned about the reliability of the car and more specifically the HPFP.

I absolutely loved my 335i when I got it back in mid-2009. I ended up selling it because I did not need a car for a few months. Boy did that car sell quick. It was a loaded black/black with tint, linea corse, kwv2, jb+, dci, oem lip, painted mesh, etc. and I was getting interested buyers from all over the country! The car, although common, always got thumbs up and questions from anyone and everyone. It was a good type of attention.

Like the OP, I too also really liked the iDrive on my E92. It was easy to use and being able to use it while the car was in motion is a real plus. I know there is a plug n play for the Lexus Navigation so it’s not that big of a deal at the moment. Overall I would say I prefer the IS-F interior due to the super soft leather, the silver cf, the contrast of the Navigation is much better than that of the 07-08 3 series Navigation, and I can watch DVD’s in the ISF!

This time around I wanted a 335i convertible but I began looking at the ISF. The reliability was one of the main reasons I chose the ISF over the 335i. I have yet to hear of any consistently major issues with the car. The 6/72k powertrain warranty on the Lexus’s are great. The fact that the original owner of my car purchased it in Jan of 2009 gives me another 4.5 years of warranty left on the powertrain! I was always worried about the engine or HPFP giving out on the BMW. I had an existing warranty on the 335 but it’s never comfortable having to think about the same problems other members on e90 have had with their 335 (long crank anyone?). I’ve only had my ISF for 3 days but I find myself driving it for any and every reason. It is truly an amazing car. Fast, fun, luxurious, reliable, and decent on gas and mine is UltraSonic Blue! What more could you ask for??

BTW heres a pic...now this thread will be flooded with 335 pics haha

Daniel, we could hang out! I share your exact thoughts! What are long cranks? What are rough idles? What is limp mode? I've had my LPFP, HPFP, LFPF sensor, 3 quarts of oil in 2 months, etc... But when they aren't broke....love it! Just tired of broke! I just posted that on e90post.com. Pics of the F?
Old 07-06-10, 10:21 AM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
Daniel, we could hang out! I share your exact thoughts! What are long cranks? What are rough idles? What is limp mode? I've had my LPFP, HPFP, LFPF sensor, 3 quarts of oil in 2 months, etc... But when they aren't broke....love it! Just tired of broke! I just posted that on e90post.com. Pics of the F?
Haha yeah we shared the same love/fear of the 335i. The 335 really is a great car. I just wish it was more reliable .....Here's a picture of my IS-F from Sunday, the day I got it

Old 07-06-10, 10:28 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Beautiful! I think I'm going to steer away from black as the paint doesn't have a clear coat. Scared of swirl marks. I'm looking at Mercury Metallic and Starfire Pearl. Unfortunately, the closest MM is in Dallas (4 hours) and no SFP within 700 miles. Did you buy brand new? Also, did you feel your Bimmer was faster than the F?

Last edited by PhiDeltBee; 07-06-10 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-06-10, 10:33 AM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently purchased my IS-F and absolutely love it. I'm coming from a Viper SRT-10 and obviously they are completely different cars but the IS-F fills any voids left from the Viper and is much more comfortable doing so. Needless to say, I haven't looked back.

The car drives amazing. I've had no problems to date and have the service records from the original owner and it had only needed regular maintenance. Car has 20k miles on it now. It does fly low on the radar (especially compared to the viper) but that can be a good thing. I don't worry about parking it at the movies, etc...

With the recent headers that have been released, headers and exhaust puts you around 415 rwhp (over 60 more rwhp than stock). Intake is negligible for power (~5rwhp) but does give it a different sound. Also, when you do exhaust that'll beef up the lower rpm ranges, prior to the second intake opening around 3500 rpms.
You can do a Joe Z exhaust for $1599 or cut mufflers and cats for less than $100 depending on your budget and taste. Both will give you that increase in sound in the lower rpm range and also pick up around 20 rwhp. Headers give that extra 40rwhp to bring it up to 60rwhp total.

I test drove the 335i prior to buying my IS-F. I was trying to save some pennies plus I couldn't find any M3's locally to drive. But it wasn't even a comparison in my or my fiance's opinion. The sound, the features, and like you the reliability was in the back of my head. Picked up the F the next day.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Quick Reply: IS-F vs. JB3 335I E90