IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Maintenance work: Dealer or Mech. shop?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-10, 03:46 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Maintenance work: Dealer or Mech. shop?

It's almost time for a second oil change. The first one was free from the Dealer so I had them do it, and at the time they quoted $270 for the next service, which is basically oil change and a few "inspections".

I know a good mechanic shop. I've known both the owners for about a decade, have friends and family who go to them for all repair and maintenance work on their VW's, Toyotas, Hondas, etc... but I do know (and have seen) Porsches, BMW's, Vipers, Merc AMG's they've also worked on. Not exactly the neatest workplace they have, but they get the job done and they're honest to their customers. However for simple things like oil changes they do it cash and off the books.

I want to go to my mechanic for my F, but are there any concerns about not having the service intervals recorded on any official registry being an issue for the car down the road in case I sell it? I know some people use official dealer service records as a way to help sell a car, but is that a big deal? Perhaps having that record would help in resale value, but still, you do end up paying for that overall through the crazy dealer service costs in order to get that record.

If I keep the car for many years as planned then I don't think it would be a huge factor when the car is "too old". But what if I do end up selling sooner? A gamble either way I guess...

Sorry for rambling on, pros and cons dance in my head as I type... Anybody have any thoughts on the matter?
Old 07-09-10, 03:58 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a piece of mind for warranty work on engine if required thus, I fork out ~$90 for regular oil & filter change every 5k miles at Lexus Dealer.

I'd politely say no if they offer "xxx-mile service" or free car wash.
Old 07-09-10, 05:15 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just keep receipts and make sure the work is well documented for proof.
You really don't need to go to the dealer. Just be sure the people you're dealing with are good and reputable and use decent parts......It sounds like you know them quite well.

I do most of my own work so all I do is record what I do and keep receipts and documents for proof if required.

C.
Old 07-09-10, 05:30 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IceIridium
It's almost time for a second oil change. The first one was free from the Dealer so I had them do it, and at the time they quoted $270 for the next service, which is basically oil change and a few "inspections".

I know a good mechanic shop. I've known both the owners for about a decade, have friends and family who go to them for all repair and maintenance work on their VW's, Toyotas, Hondas, etc... but I do know (and have seen) Porsches, BMW's, Vipers, Merc AMG's they've also worked on. Not exactly the neatest workplace they have, but they get the job done and they're honest to their customers. However for simple things like oil changes they do it cash and off the books.

I want to go to my mechanic for my F, but are there any concerns about not having the service intervals recorded on any official registry being an issue for the car down the road in case I sell it? I know some people use official dealer service records as a way to help sell a car, but is that a big deal? Perhaps having that record would help in resale value, but still, you do end up paying for that overall through the crazy dealer service costs in order to get that record.

If I keep the car for many years as planned then I don't think it would be a huge factor when the car is "too old". But what if I do end up selling sooner? A gamble either way I guess...

Sorry for rambling on, pros and cons dance in my head as I type... Anybody have any thoughts on the matter?
Indy shops are fine for routine maintenance. All you need to do is keep records of your services and your warranty will be fine. I for one would MUCH rather have an "indy" shop change my oil than a dealer. For the most part the guys changing oil at the dealers are the "lackys" NOT the "Good" techs', they are busy repairing vehicles. At an "indy" shop the guy doing all your other maint is looking at the vehicle for other issues as all of those 10 very expensive quarts of oil are draining from your VERY valuable 5.0L V8!! When an indy is looking at an F they are intrigued!, when a dealer is looking at it, it is NOTHING more than another 60k Lexus coming through the line.
Old 07-10-10, 06:54 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ming15237
Indy shops are fine for routine maintenance. All you need to do is keep records of your services and your warranty will be fine. I for one would MUCH rather have an "indy" shop change my oil than a dealer. For the most part the guys changing oil at the dealers are the "lackys" NOT the "Good" techs', they are busy repairing vehicles. At an "indy" shop the guy doing all your other maint is looking at the vehicle for other issues as all of those 10 very expensive quarts of oil are draining from your VERY valuable 5.0L V8!! When an indy is looking at an F they are intrigued!, when a dealer is looking at it, it is NOTHING more than another 60k Lexus coming through the line.
LOL, good point about the trained guys versus the newbs at the dealer.
I much prefer doing my own for that very reason, but then I enjoy doing it.

C.
Old 07-10-10, 08:57 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Use the dealer if you can afford it.

If your dealer does good work and you can afford it, I'd recommend going that route. My F is my 5th Lexus. I've went both ways, but being able to say that your car was serviced by the dealer at the recommended intervals is a huge selling point when you want to sell your car. Even if you have all your records from some other mechanic shop, the dealership still sounds better to prospective buyers.

At Parker Lexus in Little Rock, their 10,000 mile service is right at 100$. Their 15000 mile service, where they change the rear diff oil, is right at 400$. Then, with their special plan where every 4th service is free, the 20000 mile service is no charge (it's the same as 10000 mile service so this saves you 100$.) So the average service cost for the first 4 services averages me 125$ per service. I think that's not too bad considering they wash it, give you a nice loaner, and give you the red carpet treatment while you're there.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-10-10, 10:13 AM
KonaMan
Driver School Candidate

Default Dealer no guarantee you'll get good service...

I generally avoid a dealership like the have the plague... only a last resort. I have taken my 350's in for the complimentary oil changes because I do like them to give the car a once over during its first service and I generally waltz into the service bay to take a look at the undercarraige myself. Not sure a dealer, at least my local dealer, is in my future with my F car... took my new 350 in for its first oil/filer change and when I checked the level the next AM they had overfilled it by over a quart. Took it back and the service manager blew me off and said it was ok... said I supposed to check the oil immediately after shutting the car off. We debated the point, I went to the parts department to buy a new oil filter and redid the change myself.

If you have a good independent wrench I would buy a half dozen OEM oil filters and let your shop change the oil using the factory filter... save the receipts and, if you have a warranty issue, they can't legally deny your claim.

It's sad when you can't depend on a company shop to properly service a car.
Old 07-10-10, 11:30 AM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

When I got my Honda Prelude in 1998 (my first car), I promised that I'll take care of it by always taking it to the dealer for maintenance. Well, I got home after the second oil change by the dealer, and just out of a whim decided to check under the hood, and lucky I did because they had forgotten to put the oil cap back on (still sitting upsidedown on top of the engine cover) and oil had spilled all over the engine and hood. It was at that point my friend told me about the mech he uses and I've gone to them ever since for the Prelude.

I've taken the F back to the dealer twice. First time was the routine 1600km checkup and they included washing. I normally do not let the dealers wash my car but decided to enjoy the "lexus treatment" firsthand. Well... they ended up scratching up my rear bumper badly. (look far enough back and you can find my post here about it) I complained about it and first they claimed it was there before (total BS) then finally agreed to fix it. Second time was for the 8000km first oil change and I went to a different dealer and said "no washing!". No problems this time.... but did I just get lucky?....

This is why I have a bit of dealer-phobia...
Old 07-10-10, 12:12 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

I think most of us have gotten "dealer phobias" for one reason or another....either for poor service or for excessive costs....or both.

Like I've said b4 and others have said, if the shop you go to does a decent job and knows what they're doing, Lexus can't refuse any warranty work.
Just keep receipts and record the work done in a ledger. You'll be fine.

A lot of us do our own work at home......and we don't have any issues with warranty.

Don't sweat it.
C.