IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF as a business expense

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-10, 06:26 PM
ArticKnght
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts
Question ISF as a business expense

I know that a few members on the forum have ISF and use them as a business expense. My questions are the following;

1) do you list the ISF as an asset on the business?
2) does the business then have to carry the insurance for the car?
3) how do you take the car as an expense on your business?
4) Are you able to write off the interest and
depreciation as well?
4) anything else I maybe missing?

I am going to be starting a new business in clinical dietary aides and supplements and will need business write off's in the future.

Thank you all for your help in advance.

Sincerely,

I need ISF
Old 08-04-10, 06:54 PM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

1) Yes, you'll list the ISF as an asset for the business which will be entered on the balance sheet as Property, Plant & Equipment.

2) It is required to have auto insurance to drive the car so yes the business needs to pay insurance for the car. It is an ordinary and necessary expense on the income statement.

3) If you purchased/financed the car then you'll depreciate it typically over 5 years. If you leased it then you can deduct the lease payments as an expense since you don't own it.

4) Yes, you can write off the depreciation and the interest expense on the income statement if you financed the ISF.

5) That should be about it unless you have any more questions.
Old 08-04-10, 07:09 PM
Axtellz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^just what Trexus said. And, that's why i pay my accountant to do such things- so i don't need to worry about such things- my brain is kinda full already!
Old 08-04-10, 09:40 PM
ArticKnght
Advanced

Originally Posted by Trexus
1) Yes, you'll list the ISF as an asset for the business which will be entered on the balance sheet as Property, Plant & Equipment.

2) It is required to have auto insurance to drive the car so yes the business needs to pay insurance for the car. It is an ordinary and necessary expense on the income statement.

3) If you purchased/financed the car then you'll depreciate it typically over 5 years. If you leased it then you can deduct the lease payments as an expense since you don't own it.

4) Yes, you can write off the depreciation and the interest expense on the income statement if you financed the ISF.

5) That should be about it unless you have any more questions.
Thanks that was the information I was looking for. I would finance the car, which lead to another question. Would the loan also be under the business as well? (guessing it would, just looking for clarification )

Thanks again
Old 08-05-10, 09:32 AM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by I nd ISF
Thanks that was the information I was looking for. I would finance the car, which lead to another question. Would the loan also be under the business as well? (guessing it would, just looking for clarification )

Thanks again
No problem. If you you already have your business license and business checking account then put the car loan under the business as well so everything looks legit and formal.

Good luck and make tons of money. It is very hard work to go on your own but at least you're not working for the man but working for yourself.
Old 08-05-10, 01:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
...Good luck and make tons of money. It is very hard work to go on your own but at least you're not working for the man but working for yourself.
+1 on the good luck. I have to say though, working for the man is much easier than working for myself. I'm a slave driver.
Old 08-05-10, 09:14 PM
ArticKnght
Advanced

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
+1 on the good luck. I have to say though, working for the man is much easier than working for myself. I'm a slave driver.
Thanks for the support. I know an aquantance that had started his own company doing something similar, so I know the business model is feasible. Hopefully I can finally officially join the club in the near future. Thanks again for all the help and support.
Old 08-11-10, 11:13 PM
is-fast
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are several variables to consider: how you are incorporated (S-Corp, C-Corp, LLC, etc.), what state you live in, what state you incorporate in, etc. If you have a financial planner and accountant to consult, often times they can help you. In my case, the car and insurance is in my name, but all payments are made through my company, as well as car related expenses.
Old 08-12-10, 07:54 AM
ArticKnght
Advanced

I have structured the company as an LLC with in MN. My brother in-law is a CPA and does our personal taxes. I am sure that I will consult him when the time comes.
Old 08-12-10, 12:35 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by I nd ISF
I know that a few members on the forum have ISF and use them as a business expense. My questions are the following;

1) do you list the ISF as an asset on the business?
2) does the business then have to carry the insurance for the car?
3) how do you take the car as an expense on your business?
4) Are you able to write off the interest and
depreciation as well?
4) anything else I maybe missing?

I am going to be starting a new business in clinical dietary aides and supplements and will need business write off's in the future.

Thank you all for your help in advance.

Sincerely,

I need ISF
When I was younger I wrote off a Beechcraft Bonanza A-36 Turbocharged as a business expense so you will certainly be able to write off an automobile. Consult the professionals for sure.
Old 08-15-10, 06:45 PM
ArticKnght
Advanced

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
When I was younger I wrote off a Beechcraft Bonanza A-36 Turbocharged as a business expense so you will certainly be able to write off an automobile. Consult the professionals for sure.
Wow, very nice plane Do you still have it or do you have something else now?