IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Which drop in air filter is the best?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-10, 07:09 PM
ISF-88
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which drop in air filter is the best?

I just re installed my stock intake with Joe Z's intake pipe and I'm in the market for a drop in filter. Which ones actually have beneficial gains over stock? I noticed for the ISF there is TOM's, AFE oil or dry, and K&N. Which one is better out of the three? What's the price difference between the three? Help much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-19-10, 08:30 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISF-88
I just re installed my stock intake with Joe Z's intake pipe and I'm in the market for a drop in filter. Which ones actually have beneficial gains over stock? I noticed for the ISF there is TOM's, AFE oil or dry, and K&N. Which one is better out of the three? What's the price difference between the three? Help much appreciated.

Thanks
The only way anyone could accurately say which made the most power or is better would be to test all 4 filters listed which to my knowledge no one has done. So at best what you're going to get is speculation and recommendations based on what each of us chose.

As far as price goes the TOM's is the most expensive followed by the aFe oiled and then the dry. The K & N is not actually listed for the IS F and is listed for another car that also happens to fit the IS F. The price on that is going to be in the same ballpark as the aFe. I have the aFe oiled filter on my car along with the Joe Z intake pipe.

Best bang for the buck would probably be the 2 aFe filters and the K & N because they are cheaper and reuseable. Most the foam filters I've seen aren't, but that won't stop some from telling you that you can reoil and reuse them.

Last edited by N54MPower; 08-19-10 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-19-10, 08:34 PM
ArticKnght
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

It seems that the toms dry filter seems to be the most popular. I think I-tuned parts and VIP auto salon carry it for about $130.

As far as the gains go, i am not sure what they are. I have also heard that the oiled filters have cause some problems with peoples MAF censor and then needs to be cleaned off.

Hope that helps
Old 08-19-10, 11:25 PM
ISF-88
Pole Position

I like the Tom's filter but 130 bux for a drop in filter sounds steep. Also the Tom's isn't reusable? What about AFE's dry s filter? Which one would give better performance the oiled one or the dry?
Old 08-19-10, 11:29 PM
C-Red
Driver School Candidate

I've used K&Ns in all my cars religiously over the years with no ill effects. Most dramas people experience with K&Ns come from over oiling. There is one in my F now and its great.
Jeff
Old 08-19-10, 11:47 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISF-88
I like the Tom's filter but 130 bux for a drop in filter sounds steep. Also the Tom's isn't reusable? What about AFE's dry s filter? Which one would give better performance the oiled one or the dry?
The oiled filter is supposed to flow more than the dry version.

Originally Posted by C-Red
I've used K&Ns in all my cars religiously over the years with no ill effects. Most dramas people experience with K&Ns come from over oiling. There is one in my F now and its great.
Jeff
+1 I have K & N filters in two other cars without issue as well as the oiled aFe in the IS F.
Old 08-20-10, 10:22 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

There have been minimal gains at most with the various filters, I say for engine safety stay with OEM. But good luck.
The following users liked this post:
nigel821 (09-11-21)
Old 08-20-10, 11:55 AM
Fitment Factory
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We carry aFe products and can supply price for drop-in or if you would like more gains change to complete aFe intake

Old 08-20-10, 03:44 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I have always been impressed and used aFe filters in other cars. The construction quality just seems better than the K&N. Oil is statically charged and "attracts" dust and dirt allowing a more open element that captures dirt efficiently. However some modern cars MAF sensors are very sensitive to oil contamination. Now this is not a guaranteed problem but not unheard of. Often complicated by "over oiling" when the filters are cleaned and reused by consumers. The dry filters are going to be the best compromise. Freer flowing than the OEM paper filter and do not introduce oil into the mix. I'm sure TOM's is good, but is it worth more than twice the price of the aFe? Probably not. My vote is for aFe Pro S dry. YMMV
Old 08-20-10, 04:27 PM
qsz06
Rookie

Love my AFE dry filter!