What Do You Love About Your IS-F?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-10, 09:45 AM
djsai
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Juanca
Good thread!

Since I was a little kid I've been involved in 3 things: cars, electronics, and computers. I've been following F1 and WRC since 1980, probably missed about 7 F1 races since then and some more WRC's, but you can get the picture of how in love I am with motorsports. Throughout time there are certain cars that made a strong impression on me, those are the cars that at any time in life I'd like to own. Some of them came through already such as the Toyota Celica All-Trac, Mitsubishi Evo, and Lexus IS-F. There are some other cars in my list that I'll get sooner or later, such us a Nissan GTR, an Aston Martin, a Maseratti... and a Ferrari.

I felt in love with the 2IS the moment it was launched, I found the lines so beautiful, elegant... Shortly after I learned about the IS-F project I told myself that I'd get one if the car is indeed produced (which happened). Now that I've daily driven it for over two years, I love it more and more, you never get bored of it! I love the elegant 2IS lines, and the aggressiveness that the F adds. The interior is smart, comfortable, modern, great quality. The engine is a good balance between sportiness and refinement. But for me (and I guess for everyone) the best part comes from the way you drive it, and if the car answers the way you expected, then you're all set. I drive all my cars like race cars, as soon as I jump into my car and turn the engine on, I switch VCD completely off, SPORT mode on, and M mode (tranny). I step on the gas and the car flies! The engine sound is unique, the transmission goes through gears better than I would, so the car exceeds my expectations!

As said before, no car is perfect. If I was in charge of the IS-F project I'd have done things a little bit different. First I don't care about keeping the Lexus image as a sofisticated and refined car, this is not the regular Lexus, so if an old guy wants to buy a Lexus that "floats" on the road, basically without providing any feedback, then buy an LS. Anyone buying an IS-F needs to be prepared to feel the road, to control the corners, so I'd have gotten rid of most of the nannies that interfere with the driver. This is something Lexus needs to learn from BMW, for the F I think the driver needs to be more connected to the car. Steering feedback and suspension are the weak points for the IS-F, but I understand that it was made this way to again keep the Lexus image. Anyone here has driven an EVO? That's the way every car should handle, and that's what I'd have done to the IS-F. Other than that, everything is fine.
Very well said
Old 08-25-10, 09:46 AM
djsai
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mdsbrain
I'm in MD as well.

Everyday this car reminds me of my decision to have this car. From the acceleration, braking to the fun of running through the twisties.
Sup bro, hope to see u at some meets..
Old 08-25-10, 10:29 AM
Damage
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I originally disliked the ISF. From the early press pictures, it looked like a beluga whale. I also never liked the IS. I always thought the side profile with it's tall doorline, made the wheels on the car look tiny. The rear tapering into a narrower width was something I didn't like either. I always liked cars with a wider rear end. So when it came time to change my fun car ('04 s2k), I looked at luxury 4dr's that were fast. I originally wanted to get the C63. I loved the look of it and its performance figures and v8 snarl sounded great. Unfortunately I saw the mpg rating and nearly had a heart attack. This was in early '08 when gas prices were almost $5/gal for premium. So then it was the ISF and the M3. I would've gotten the M3 instead, but none of the dealerships near me had one to test drive so in the end I got the ISF. When I finally saw one in person, it looked much better. I still don't like it's ugly stacked tailpipes and I think the center of the dashboard looks pretty ugly, but the rest of the car is fantastic.

I expect this to become a DD within a year and I'll be looking to get a used 911 GT3 as the fun car. I really miss the feel of a light sports car.
Old 08-25-10, 10:33 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PurduePete
USB + Alpine Interior. This was my 1st ever realistic dream car. This car pictured here on the same spinning stage had me breathless at the 2007 Chicaog Auto Show. With two months into my dream job, I knew it wasn't a matter of if, but when. Never owned a Lexus before, but always knew I was a lexus guy as a teenager. Color Combo + ISF + Lexus = My Reason, in that order.
id say basically the exact same thing
thats my exact car, i would not of had it any other way
Old 08-25-10, 04:14 PM
qsz06
Rookie

I have two favorite cars that I am fortunate to own . 03' ZO6 Corvette with aftermarket heads ,cam ,headers e.t.c. Very raw and fun to drive! Also ,I have the F . Completly different but love the sound of motor and tech features of tranny and car in general.Just wish the F rode as good as Z06 . Yes I said it ,Zo6 has a more refined ride than F,But coilovers are in the works ,so I can remedy this one negative.
Old 08-26-10, 06:05 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by qsz06
I have two favorite cars that I am fortunate to own . 03' ZO6 Corvette with aftermarket heads ,cam ,headers e.t.c. Very raw and fun to drive! Also ,I have the F . Completly different but love the sound of motor and tech features of tranny and car in general.Just wish the F rode as good as Z06 . Yes I said it ,Zo6 has a more refined ride than F,But coilovers are in the works ,so I can remedy this one negative.
Interesting.
is the Z06 a tad quicker or about the same as the F?
C.
Old 08-29-10, 09:12 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually this is a good thread but I will list my Favorite / Worst thing about this car:

Positive: Love the exhaust note and overall power of this motor

Negative: Needs a 3rd seat in the rear, get rid of that stupid plastic thing so I can put my baby seat in the car
Old 08-29-10, 09:59 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Not all roses I guess.

I've had mine for almost two years not and, for me, the car's lost it's glitter. I can't say exactly why but I think the "rush" that I had expected coming from a Z-06 was never achieved. Also, I didn't think I'd miss the manual transmission but I do.
Old 08-29-10, 05:27 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

My ISF is the first performance car I have purchased. I met my wife 3+ years ago, and drove her S2k for about a year before I decided to pull the trigger on the ISF.

14 months and 24k miles later, I am still very satisfied overall with this car. I love the look...love the handling (though it does feel awefully heavy compared to the S2k)...love the quickness of the tranny...love the fuel economy for the size of motor.

Of course there are a few things I would change, like the retarded nav system that cannot be programmed while driving, and the lack of traction from such narrow tires w/o a mechanical LSD (2008).

Also, I can always use more power (at times I wish my CBR1000RR would accelerate faster). When this car is out of warranty, FI won't be far behind.
Old 09-02-10, 07:52 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I forgot to mention on my previous post that something a really HATE about my IS-F is the TPMS. Why did Lexus decide to do it so cheap? Other car brands (and I mean cheaper brands) display the tire pressure for each tire, my stupid IS-F just tells me TIRE LOW, so I have to go out and check all four tires because I don't know if it's one or all four! It doesn't even tell me how low it is, so I don't know if I can make it to my destination or I have to run to the nearest gas station. I really hate this cheap design, not good for a +$60K car.
Old 09-02-10, 04:29 PM
qsz06
Rookie

Not even close ISFer, Z06 hands down with just these mild mods is probably a mid to high 11 second car in quarter mile with traction . Interior and refinement is lacking compared to the F, But if you like raw loud power and fun it's great! It will probably dyno around 430 -440 horse and weighs in at 3085 lbs with a half tank of gas!
Old 09-02-10, 04:32 PM
qsz06
Rookie

Agree with Juanca, even my old caddy CTS [08] had a better TPMS .
Old 09-02-10, 06:28 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

I like the fact that its not flashy. I didnt get it so everyone could look at me. Its a decent car with minimal drawbacks. Sure there are things like Launch Control and a speed limiter that bug me... But i still enjoy the car. You basically get what you pay for with the ISF.

Will i ever buy one again? No
Will i ever sell the one i own now? Most likely Never.
Old 09-02-10, 10:14 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

same here--- I WILL NEVER SELL THIS CAR

I just got mine (moved up from a IS350- which is no slouch itself) and thus far I love the mildness of the power.. unlike some cars I've owned (G35 coupe) its not super torquey for no reason and tight steering but not handling the way that tightness feels.

in regular drive mode (not sport) U have to ask it (hittin the pedal low) for the power to Blast off ...but can drive it around regular with no issue of lurching fwd if u go a bit low on the gas pedal...but if u want it like that - just hit the sport button and theres your more torquey feel

it just does the luxury performance well in my opinion
AND ITS A TOYOTA SO IT WILL LAST!!!!and not give you big issues down the road--some people dont mind issues with the car and switch up cars with lease deals so dont care about quality builds so much --- personally the less I am at the dealership waiting for my car to be fixed the more i love the car