IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

djsai and Caymandive ripping it up at Maryland International Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-10, 05:58 PM
mikefate
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds good. is there just too much traction loss at higher rpms?
Old 10-09-10, 06:28 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefate
sounds good. is there just too much traction loss at higher rpms?
Traction isn't the problem with trying a higher rpm launch. I believe it's a combination of a low stall and something weird with the tranny. Hard to explain.
Old 10-09-10, 07:19 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Great runs Cayman!!! Now all you need is that perfect run under perfect conditions to bump into the 11s. Interesting that you we about a tenth of a second faster than your best run last season, but your trap speed was a little slower.
Old 10-09-10, 07:25 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gymkata
Great runs Cayman!!! Now all you need is that perfect run under perfect conditions to bump into the 11s. Interesting that you we about a tenth of a second faster than your best run last season, but your trap speed was a little slower.
Thanks man! Yeah the trap speeds can't be compared though because they are from different tracks. I think the Cecil track has faster traps than MIR, but lower ET. Click on my drag strip journal in my signature and you'll see what i'm talking about.

Last edited by caymandive; 10-11-10 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-09-10, 07:35 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm holding my breath for your fastest run this year vs. last year. I'm trying to figure out how many 1/10s you've shaved off with the headers and exhaust.
Old 10-10-10, 12:19 AM
infinus
Lead Lap

Very nice indeed! Its cooler here but still in the 70's I'm hoping to hit the 60's soon. I might have to look into getting a set of 18's for the rear to run a nice DR. I think that will be a better alternative than running DR's on my OEM wheels.
Old 10-10-10, 12:20 AM
infinus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caymandive
Traction isn't the problem with trying a higher rpm launch. I believe it's a combination of a low stall and something weird with the tranny. Hard to explain.
I always peel out all through 1st and part of 2nd if I dont do it just right but around 1000 seems to work best for me too.
Old 10-10-10, 10:08 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Thanks man! Yeah the trap speeds can't be compared though because they are from different tracks. I think the Cecil track has faster traps than MIR, but lower ET. Click on my drag strip journal in my signature and you'll see the picture.
Great Vids and great details on all your runs.... Congrats!!

Curious on the stock intake pipe decision??? Think that might have a slight affect on your overall numbers???

Joe Z
Old 10-11-10, 01:55 AM
Celsius
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sweet runs.....congrats!
Old 10-11-10, 05:31 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Great Vids and great details on all your runs.... Congrats!!

Curious on the stock intake pipe decision??? Think that might have a slight affect on your overall numbers???

Joe Z

Thanks again Joe!

As for the stock intake pipe decision it happened like this. A few weeks when I was loosening your intake pipe to check on the stock air filter I noticed that I had over tightened at some point the one clamp that goes on the sleeve closest to the MAF. Just past the MAF sensor about an inch away that leads off the factory airbox it was crushed in the shape of this "< " which freaked me out. I spent about an hour trying to reshape the plastic tube to get it pushed back out as round as possible again, so it was then that I decided I was going to put the stock intake back on because it doesn't put pressure on the pipe where I had over tightened. With the stock tube back on it's also easier to get to the air filter and with the few potential hp loss at peak rpms I am certain it hasn't caused any noticeable difference in my times.

I know stupid mistake, but it is what it is and I'm fine with the car as it is now.
Old 10-11-10, 07:11 AM
mrohno
Driver

Thanks again Joe!

As for the stock intake pipe decision it happened like this. A few weeks when I was loosening your intake pipe to check on the stock air filter I noticed that I had over tightened at some point the one clamp that goes on the sleeve closest to the MAF. Just past the MAF sensor about an inch away that leads off the factory airbox it was crushed in the shape of this "< " which freaked me out. I spent about an hour trying to reshape the plastic tube to get it pushed back out as round as possible again, so it was then that I decided I was going to put the stock intake back on because it doesn't put pressure on the pipe where I had over tightened. With the stock tube back on it's also easier to get to the air filter and with the few potential hp loss at peak rpms I am certain it hasn't caused any noticeable difference in my times.

I know stupid mistake, but it is what it is and I'm fine with the car as it is now.
So will you be selling the Joe Z? I would be interested to take it off your hands if indeed that was what you were thinking of doing! PM me if you are.
Old 10-11-10, 10:53 AM
infinus
Lead Lap

Thanks again Joe!

I've done the same thing, I'm sure its a pretty common mistake.
Old 10-11-10, 11:15 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Thanks again Joe!

No worries.. It happens!!

If you decide to put it back on, just Flip the clamps tightening location to the other side.. And of course just tighten till snug..

Best Regards,

Joe Z
Old 10-14-10, 02:10 AM
qsz06
Rookie

Hell yeah ! Knocking on 11's with a N/A motor is very exciting and I am pulling for you to be the first. Keep us posted.
Old 11-07-10, 07:05 PM
djsai
Lexus Test Driver

So I went to MIR for Import Vs Domestic car show and did some amazing runs. I am so happy and proud of my baby....

Here are the numbers and currently as per James's info I am in the Top 3
Now cant wait to get headers and radials..

INFO:

-JoeZ intake
-ISS Forged QES Track Exhaust
-Linea Corse LC818 Wheels
-Stock tires

Best ET and MPH: 12.26@115.15

Run 1:
60' - 1.959
1/8 - 8.082
1/4 - 12.413
MPH - 114.76
Time: 12:37 PM

Run 2:
60' - 1.919
1/8 - 8.057
1/4 - 12.374
MPH - 114.93
Time: 1:07 PM

Run 3:
60' - 1.908
1/8 - 7.963
1/4 - 12.261
MPH - 115.15
Time: 4:23 PM

My second run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C19tA7G_53w

Quick Reply: djsai and Caymandive ripping it up at Maryland International Raceway