IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Battle of supercar

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-10, 07:38 PM
djsai
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^yup that was my conclusion too..i dont think he even used the paddles..all he said was traction off.
Old 09-16-10, 07:42 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much faster is the ISF in sport manual versus automatic mode?
Old 09-16-10, 07:44 PM
pgoffner
Rookie

Originally Posted by carLx
How much faster is the ISF in sport manual versus automatic mode?
Its about being able to keep the car in its powerband using the paddles...which is much needed when racing a car as equally matched performance wise as the M3....

http://www.dragtimes.com/video-viewe...o_bPlA&feature
Old 09-16-10, 07:58 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

In a straight line the paddles are a must! In this mode it locks up the torque converter allowing very quick shifts. In the quarter mile manual mode is about 3/10's faster than auto mode, which is enough to beat the M3.
Old 09-16-10, 08:07 PM
pgoffner
Rookie

/\ /\ /\

thats what I meant to say...
Old 09-16-10, 08:13 PM
pgoffner
Rookie

Check this link out...where the IS-F stalls out on Tanner....
Doesn't look good at all for team IS-F....

http://www.streetfire.net/video/batt...sf_2061223.htm
Old 09-16-10, 08:45 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pgoffner
Check this link out...where the IS-F stalls out on Tanner....
Doesn't look good at all for team IS-F....

http://www.streetfire.net/video/batt...sf_2061223.htm
You think that's bad, look at what M3 owners are concerned about with their car these days-

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432388
Old 09-16-10, 09:09 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

No surprise to me on the result as I've always thought the M3 would have the slight edge on 10/10ths driving on the track with two equally good drivers.

Does not change my reality one bit that the IS-F is the better car overall for real world driving not to mention reliability.

The difference between the two in outright performance is slight and the variance in talent level of drivers in the real world is wide that to say an M3 will beat an IS-F (and vice versa) in the real world all the time is a myth.
Old 09-16-10, 09:16 PM
markkin
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No surprise. 2008 Lexus IS-F is as fast as a Chevy Camaro or Pontiac G8 GXP and the BMW is as fast as the 2011 Mustang GT 5.0. The new 2011 Lexus IS-F only decreases the track time by 2 seconds, so it is not going to outperform the benchmark BMW M3.

Nurburgring Lap
2006 Ford GT > 7:40.6
2009 Cadillac CTS-V > 7:59
2008 BMW M3 E92 > 8:05
2008 Lexus ISF > 8:18
2010 Camaro SS > 8:20
1990 Nissan Skyline GT-R R32 > 8:22
Old 09-16-10, 10:35 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

OMG I can't believe some of you, dry your eyes! Tanner is not going to throw the race because he owns the M3. The event really should have been 4 to 0, Tanner threw the block though he did make a nice pass at the beginning.

Paul Tracy is the better racer and the M3 is also the better racer. Get over it.
Old 09-16-10, 10:50 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

overall, it was great to see these two go at it, the drivers anyway.
Old 09-16-10, 11:38 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

I'm not impressed with Tanner.. This isn't the 1st time he sat in an IS-F..

He knows what mode is best to drive in... Sport Mode you rookie!!!!

Also, really the engine stalls cause of lack of oil Tanner??!!.. come on bro..

Do your homework next time, cause that was even more embarrasing...

Originally Posted by The IS-F Engine Oil Supply

When Oil in a Corner is a Good Thing

Keeping an ultra-high performance engine properly lubricated is crucial to engine durability. This can be especially difficult when the vehicle is driven on racetracks with frequent high-G cornering loads. To ensure consistent oil supply in these conditions, the IS F uses a dedicated pump to scavenge oil that could otherwise accumulate in the cylinder heads during hard cornering and return it to the oil pan.

Unless it had less than 10qts in it, which I doubt since a "Low Oil" light would show.. or low fuel to cause a high speed rolling stall..

How embarrasing !!

Now we will get the honor to seem him drive the Yellow Lexus LFA on an upcoming show...

Rant over..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-16-10 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-17-10, 02:48 AM
Reciprocal
Driver

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
overall, it was great to see these two go at it, the drivers anyway.
Totally agree! Imagine how clinicalbut dull it would be if that series instead had drivers Scott Pruett and Jon Beekus? It's the smackdown that makes it so fun between Paul and Tanner. They genuinely don't seem to like each other, and are so competitive.

(If PT had been in the IS-F and TF in the M3, the result would have been the same but some would still complain it wasn't fair because Tanner owns the M3 and PT doesn't know how to drive.

We could also cry over why the IS-f was going up against the coupe instead of the sedan but what is the point. The IS-f was not embarrassed, the BMW just has the edge and this should not have been a huge surprise.

Overall, I think these were the two slowest cars yet to appear on that series, not sure they belong, but it was fun to see and useful to get the truth settled by two professionals really going at each other.
Old 09-17-10, 03:07 AM
Reciprocal
Driver

Edit:

And the reason I'm up now is I just awoke from dream where I had traded my beautiful Z-06 for a ratty ford GTR (whatever that is!) with undisclosed hail damage, dull paint and looked like the front had been wrapped around a pole. Of course in real life I own neither a Z06 nor Ford GTR.
Old 09-17-10, 08:40 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

So after more thought and having watched this episode twice more I have come to the following conclusion. I do believe Paul Tracy was giving
it 110% with his comments and the way he was pushing the car as opposed to Tanner who appeared to just be giving it 95% with his lackluster comments and the way he was not pushing the car in manual mode as it should have been.

0-100-0
-Being that the M3 DCT has launch control and is lighter I would give this event win to the M3.

60-100
- Because of the gearing the IS-F is not in a good position with this kind of roll on race. The M3 at 60mph is in it's sweet spot in the top end of second gear. The IS-F on the otherhand at 60mph is almost at it's rev limiter in second gear so would most likely have to run from 3rd gear. Win as expected in this situation goes to the M3.

1/2 Mile Sprint
- It's apparent the IS-F was not being pushed 100% or more here. At the start of this event, the camera is in the IS-F and you can see the car shifting automatically and NOT in manual mode where it should have been. There is no reason the IS-F should have lost this event and the win should have gone to the IS-F.

Road Course
- This is a drivers race and it could go either way. IS-F or M3

In a nutshell it should have been 2 to 2, but would give the edge to the M3 for these specific events.

Last edited by caymandive; 09-17-10 at 08:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Battle of supercar