IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Picking a Performance Shop

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-10, 06:23 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Picking a Performance Shop

Can anyone share their experiences on how you picked a performanc shop or tuner to work on your ISF? Other than free parts or labor due to sponsoring you, what or how did you come up with your decision if you had a few to pick from? I know probably some of you will answer that you didn't have a choice due to where you live and thats fine.

I want to avoid the situation of being held hostage by a tuner shop (e.g., work not done in time or want more $$$ due to unforseen circumstances). My experience is when I had a JR Supercharger installed on my honda back a long-long time ago. Drove through 3 states just to get to this guy (was recommended) and found myself in a situation where I was pretty much at his mercy and he knew it, which then came the poor quality, delays, and more $$$. I remember telling myself to not ****-off the guy, just get the SC installed, and get the heck out of there.

Anyone heard of or have any experience with AMS Performance http://www.amsperformance.com/ ? Maybe S4Play does since I now live in his old stomping grounds of Chicago. Their website seems really professional with lots of awards for GTR work.

Any experience from anybody you would like to share to benefit the rest of us in dealing with shops? It's just a matter of time, but for sure I plan on serious power either through NOS or custom turbo/supercharger.
Old 09-18-10, 07:07 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ams is a great shop. They dont really work on our cars though.
Here are a few things that i look at
1. Hows clean the shop is
2. How many records they have broken
3. Do they do their own work
4. Reputation with others in the area
5. Have you ever seen the shop take out a customers car(big no no in my book)