IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Dealer Oil Changes

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-10, 04:55 AM
maddmaxx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dealer Oil Changes

Maybe I'm a bit too **** for my own good but wanted to throw this out since I have nothing better to do right now than waste bandwidth. I have always done my own oil/filter changes just because I still enjoy doing them and doing them kind of keeps me in touch with my car in terms of being able to spot mantenance issues. I do however take advantage of the first "free" oil change offered by the dealerships.

I have had three new cars back dealerships for those first oil changes recently, my is350, a new RAV, and my ISF. All three have come back at least a half a quart over filled. The 350 came in at over a quart.

I engaged the service manager in a discussion regarding the 350. He politely told me I was wrong and he would be glad to send a tech by my house to show me how to check my oil. No thanks. I did my own oil and filter change on the car and measured the oil that came out of it. Sure enough it was over a quart over spec.

All of these words just to ask... is this routine or a regular occurence for dealer done oil changes. I'm three for three in recent months. Worth noting, I took my first IS350 in for its first change and they only refilled it with five quarts. ****, probably but I'm not a big fan of dealerships because of little things like this.
Old 09-22-10, 05:32 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

went to heffener lexus and they overfilled mine 3 times(and scratched my car)
3 strikes and they were out
I now go to erin park and for the 4th time out of my 4 lexus service visits, it was done properly
Old 09-22-10, 10:53 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Dealer I went to put in 8 quarts, instead of 10. I bring in my own oil so was quickly aware when I got home.

I recommend to find a good mechanic in your area for simple services, and save the dealership for warranty claims. Just MHO.

Good Luck
Old 09-22-10, 11:32 AM
MINO
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I drove across the country, the dealers I called couldn't work with my schedule. So I had to look for options. Oddly, I had great service at the 2 Walmarts I ended up getting the oil changed at. Both centers would consistently fill, and check the dipstick several times until it was spot on. Normally a quick lube or walmart would be my last option but it worked out. Now that I'm back home, I slapped a Fumoto valve on, and will continue doing changes myself.
Old 09-22-10, 01:00 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

For DIY oil changes... It should be pretty damn easy on the F (even for the dealer)

But as you can see, even if you bring them 10, they put in 8.

Pour in 10 qts and you’re done.. Just have to make sure it’s been properly drained and of course oil filter changed..

I have done my own like 4 times already.

All I do is buy 2 - 5qt jugs and check it the next day.

It's always spot on.

Little known fact,:
Generally speaking, the "LOF" dealer oil change Tech is lowest on the Tech experience totem pole.
(LOF= Lube, Oil & Filter)

Joe Z
Old 09-23-10, 04:29 AM
maddmaxx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I always have been and am definately on board with DIY oil changes. Just got into the habit of bringing a new car back to the dealer for the first one because they are usually free and I can resolve any new car issues during the visit. (Never had been one with any of my Leuxs's or Toyotas though).

Will put a few more miles on the F car, grab me a wheel barrel full of Amsoil (10 qts..... ching gow!).... and do my own oil changes from that point on.

Cheap editorial diversion: Are these great cars or what?!?! Reluctantly traded my squeaky clean s2000 and '09 350 for my currrent ride... I miss the Honda every day until I fire up the Lexus and head out for the day. Again, thanks for your comments!