IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Carbotech Brakes Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-10, 02:53 PM
sickISF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbotech Brakes Feedback?

About two weeks ago I installed the Bobcat 1521's from Carbotech. I had started a thread asking for the type of brakes everyone recommended. I feel like I have an issue going on. Most of the times the car grips pretty good. BTW, I have followed the instructions for the break in procedure. But at other times mostly when I'm in between a shift in manual mode (not that it should matter) the brakes don't seem well. A couple of days ago it happened where I was in between a shift and I had to brake immediately It didn't grip well at all!! Any feedback on this? It scared the crap outta me.
Old 10-04-10, 02:59 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

a lot of Supra guys run carbotech.. using like a 10/12 pad combo. 10 being front. or watever

they said its SUPER good for track n what not
Old 10-04-10, 04:22 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

whats the dust like on the carbotechs bobcats?
Old 10-04-10, 07:41 PM
BB/F
Rookie

Originally Posted by sickISF
About two weeks ago I installed the Bobcat 1521's from Carbotech. I had started a thread asking for the type of brakes everyone recommended. I feel like I have an issue going on. Most of the times the car grips pretty good. BTW, I have followed the instructions for the break in procedure. But at other times mostly when I'm in between a shift in manual mode (not that it should matter) the brakes don't seem well. A couple of days ago it happened where I was in between a shift and I had to brake immediately It didn't grip well at all!! Any feedback on this? It scared the crap outta me.
I know what your talking about; its probably more to do with the rev matching that the car does when downshifting than the actual pads. I have the bobcats and love them.

hahahaf: Hardly any dust.
Old 10-04-10, 09:52 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you remember if it did with the stock pads?

Old 10-04-10, 10:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,071 Likes on 2,468 Posts

I've never had this issue with Carbotech street or track pads.

When did you last bleed your brakes?
Old 10-05-10, 07:26 AM
SCCAForums
Driver

I've never had the issue with the Carbotech's either... and WOW on the track! Awesome pads!

Enjoy,
Dave
Old 10-05-10, 01:18 PM
sickISF
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I've never had this issue with Carbotech street or track pads.

When did you last bleed your brakes?
I haven't bled the brakes recently. They stop pretty good other than some occasions that it won't hold at all!
Old 10-05-10, 01:28 PM
Fearless
Driver School Candidate

Ive never had problems with mine. Seems like a minor thing but you might want to get it looked at because the one time it doesnt hold might cause some trouble and its not worth risking your life.
Old 10-05-10, 01:55 PM
BB/F
Rookie

I haven't bled the brakes recently. They stop pretty good other than some occasions that it won't hold at all!
The times that they dont seem to feel like they are stopping you, are you in manual mode and downshifting fast?
Old 10-05-10, 04:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,071 Likes on 2,468 Posts

Did you have your rotors turned when you put the new pads in?
Old 10-05-10, 07:21 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it feel as if the bakes pedal is very hard to press and the pedal is very high? If so I have experienced this many times when auto-crossing my car where you are gong from full throttle applications to full brake (meaning 100%) applications. This is due to the vacuum reservoir for the power brakes being almost completely depleted of vacuum. When a vehicle is at full throttle it is producing little to no engine vacuum, and thereby not able to produce much in the way of vacuum assist. In the accident investigation community this is our feelings with regards to Toyota's problems with reported brake failures and sticking throttles. If you floor the throttle and apply the brakes at the same time you will have 2 to 4 brake applications until you have depleted the available vacuum in the reservoir and loose all power brake functioning, and at best will have the equivalence of manual brakes.
Old 10-06-10, 11:27 AM
sickISF
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Did you have your rotors turned when you put the new pads in?
I replaced the rotors with brand new ones from Lexus and followed Carbotech's instructions for bedding them.

Originally Posted by ming15237
Does it feel as if the bakes pedal is very hard to press and the pedal is very high? If so I have experienced this many times when auto-crossing my car where you are gong from full throttle applications to full brake (meaning 100%) applications. This is due to the vacuum reservoir for the power brakes being almost completely depleted of vacuum. When a vehicle is at full throttle it is producing little to no engine vacuum, and thereby not able to produce much in the way of vacuum assist. In the accident investigation community this is our feelings with regards to Toyota's problems with reported brake failures and sticking throttles. If you floor the throttle and apply the brakes at the same time you will have 2 to 4 brake applications until you have depleted the available vacuum in the reservoir and loose all power brake functioning, and at best will have the equivalence of manual brakes.
That is exactly the problem! The brakes due become hard almost like an abs activation (minus the pulsation).

Originally Posted by BB/F
The times that they dont seem to feel like they are stopping you, are you in manual mode and downshifting fast?
Yes, manual mode and usually getting on it.

Originally Posted by Fearless
Ive never had problems with mine. Seems like a minor thing but you might want to get it looked at because the one time it doesnt hold might cause some trouble and its not worth risking your life.
Lexus wouldn't be able to figure this out. On top of that they'll state that the brakes aren't the original ones and blah blah blah.
Old 10-06-10, 11:50 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced the rotors with brand new ones from Lexus and followed Carbotech's instructions for bedding them.

That is exactly the problem! The brakes due become hard almost like an abs activation (minus the pulsation).

Yes, manual mode and usually getting on it.

Lexus wouldn't be able to figure this out. On top of that they'll state that the brakes aren't the original ones and blah blah blah.
This is NOT a brake pad problem/issue, just in case I was NOT clear. This is a problem with the vacuum capacity of the braking system, by doing what you are doing you are depleting the vacuum available to the power brake booster.
Hope this helps...
Old 10-06-10, 12:03 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

How are your front tire treads and do they have proper air in them???

BTW - I too have scheduled out these Brake Pads with new oem rotors...
Hopefully this weekend.

Joe Z

Quick Reply: Carbotech Brakes Feedback?