IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Just changed my F+R brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-10, 03:29 PM
zojirushi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just changed my F+R brake pads

Following the suggestion from a few forum members, I decided to change my oem brake pads to Carbotech Bobcats. I used the instructions found on a thread in this forum and also FIG's blog as a guideline on how to do it myself.

Installation went pretty smoothly and I made a few observations. There isn't a specific guide for the rear brakes but it's similar to the front except there is no middle bolt so the rears were even easier than the front.

I didn't use a C-clamp for the rear brakes. Instead I just used my bare hands to push them back towards the caliper( I know i'm strong... j/k :P ). I'm not sure if this will work in the front but I wish I tried because the powder coating on the calipers are really fragile. I caused a few abrasions while trying to remove the pins with the pin punch. I tried to the best of my ability to avoid hitting the caliper but a slight tap would cause the coat to crack. I also caused a few more abrasions while trying to reinstall the pins.

Overall, the brake change was a smooth process. I'd recommend anyone with the correct set of tools to attempt this when the time comes and save yourself the service charge of replacing your brake pads.

I followed Carbotech's instruction for bedding the pads but shortly after that, the pads developed a squeal while coming to a stop. The squealing seems to have subsided after driving around a bit but it returns abruptly sometimes. Is this normal because they're new pads?
Old 12-05-10, 05:30 PM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Just curious, why did you change your rear pads? Did you know the dealer will change them for free under a new Lexus Service Bulletin?

To answer your question about new pads squealing, my Hawk ceramics have about 2k miles on then and squeak with light pressure coming to a stop.
Old 12-05-10, 06:34 PM
zojirushi
Driver

Originally Posted by dsg03svt
Just curious, why did you change your rear pads? Did you know the dealer will change them for free under a new Lexus Service Bulletin?

To answer your question about new pads squealing, my Hawk ceramics have about 2k miles on then and squeak with light pressure coming to a stop.
I'm familiar with the service bulletin but I was under the impression that Lexus would only replace the rear brakes only if they deemed it necessary. Besides that, my rear pads actually had a good amount of service left. I decided to swap them out because I was growing weary of cleaning the brake dust weekly.
Old 12-05-10, 06:38 PM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zojirushi
I'm familiar with the service bulletin but I was under the impression that Lexus would only replace the rear brakes only if they deemed it necessary. Besides that, my rear pads actually had a good amount of service left. I decided to swap them out because I was growing weary of cleaning the brake dust weekly.
You may be right on that. My brakes were squeaking after my Hawk install and after reading the Service Bulletin thread I wasn't sure if it was from the fronts or the back. I took it in to Lexus and they went ahead and did them but it didn't stop the noise. From that I determined it was coming from the front and so I can live with it.

Brake dust is a pain. Luckily the backs don't dust as much as the front.

How do your new pads stop? Similar to stock?
Old 12-05-10, 07:20 PM
zojirushi
Driver

So far, they don't feel any different from the stock pads. I haven't been driving my car often enough to really notice the difference. I guess this is a good thing.
Old 12-07-10, 11:39 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Earlier this summer, before I bought the F, I upgraded my brake pads on my IS-250 to ceramic, and I noticed a serious improvement in stopping abilities AND BRAKE DUST. The brake dust was reduced probably 80%. I could go a solid 3 weeks before I could notice much dust build up. That is not the case with the F.

Are the OEM pads on the F ceramic or metal?
Old 12-07-10, 04:58 PM
PHXF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the bobcats on the front only; 90% of the time there is no squeal at all. I do hear it on occasion and a good stomp on the pedal will stop it.
Did you retain the anti-squeal shims and apply a thin layer of anti-squeal grease?
Old 12-08-10, 06:07 AM
zojirushi
Driver

Originally Posted by PHXF
I have the bobcats on the front only; 90% of the time there is no squeal at all. I do hear it on occasion and a good stomp on the pedal will stop it.
Did you retain the anti-squeal shims and apply a thin layer of anti-squeal grease?
Yes, I reinstalled the metal shims and applied the grease. I now share a similar experience to you as it only squeals when I stop it aggressively. I can live with that in exchange for less dust.
Old 12-08-10, 08:58 PM
PHXF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I reinstalled the metal shims and applied the grease. I now share a similar experience to you as it only squeals when I stop it aggressively. I can live with that in exchange for less dust.
actually mine only squeaks when the brakes are cold and at low speeds...and even then, only rarely. If I get on the brakes aggressively it stops and typically doesn't come back for a few days.