IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

This is one of reason why purchased 2011ISF

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-10, 08:46 PM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts
Default This is one of reason why purchased 2011ISF

Was at Bimmerforums checking out a friends new M3 when I came across this post this must really suck feel bad for the guy.

#1 11-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Chigley
Member Join Date: Oct 2010
Cars: '03 330i '08 335i '11 M3

2011 M3 - A Tale of Woe in The Making ..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello! I'm new here, although I've been lurking for awhile now. I have a tale of woe to tell about by new M3, and wanted to see if anyone else has heard similar stories or had problems like this ..

I took deliver of my brand new 2011 M3 on 11/12. Custom built, shipped over from Europe, after 11 weeks of pure anticipation. The car is the Sedan with DCT. I drove it off the lot with 4 miles on the odometer, and happily drove it for 2 whole days before my problems started.

Monday morning, I pull out my driveway to go to work, and the car sputters and loses power. I large red cog with an "!" lights up and I limp to the side of the road. I turn around and drive the 100 yards back to my house and park. I cycle the car a couple times and the error clears, so I try again and this time my drive is uneventful, albeit a little nervous.

The next day, I take the car back to the dealer and they have a look at it. They can see the error in the computer but they don't have any ideas. They keep the car over night and test drive it the next day, and the transmission throws an error again. They still have no real idea if it's software or hardware, so they open a "case" with BMW HQ.

They spend all yesterday running tests and diagnostics and still cant pinpoint the problem. Today they finally tracked it down to a software problem, specific to my manufacture run. The car is supposedly running the latest software, but there is an update available and apparently this is a known issue, although a new issue.

The software update is not available in North America and they have a representative from BMW HQ working on getting the software for my car, to the dealer. They say they should know tomorrow if this is indeed going to work and fix the problem, and how long before I get my beloved M3 back.

So far, they have had the car longer than I have and put more miles on it than I have. This is definitely NOT the experience I was hoping for with my new M3.

Anyone else heard of this sort of problem? It all seems a little too vague to me.

Cheers!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Chigley; 11-18-2010 at 07:02 PM..
Old 12-07-10, 08:50 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, that's nothing. There are far more pressing issues going on with the e92 M3 -

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231020

81 pages of frustration for you to enjoy
Old 12-07-10, 08:57 PM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by syzygy
Oh, that's nothing. There are far more pressing issues going on with the e92 M3 -

Man, you were not kidding I new they had some issue but WTFI thought they had resolved the issues with DCT transmission
Old 12-07-10, 09:21 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by davcrz5
Man, you were not kidding I new they had some issue but WTFI thought they had resolved the issues with DCT transmission
With Lexus vehicles the types of issues you typically face are benign ones like too much wind noise (LS460) or creaky dash panels/squeaky brakes - all problems that not only can easily be rectified, but also aren't safety issues to begin with.

With something like the M-DCT lag - this is an actual safety issue -

Just got my 1200 mile service. I notified the tech of the problem and took him for a drive to demonstrate it.

I was in a hurry when I picked the car up so I didn't really talk to anyone when I got it back. Less than a mile from the dealership I tried to replicate the problem...yep still there...not fixed...crap...

The situation that concerns me most with this problem is in making a rolling left hand turn. You slow as you approach the turn, assessing if you have a gap in oncoming traffic to turn through, the DCT has downshifted to 2nd as you approach your turn, before coming to a stop there is a gap to turn through, you step on the gas and turn into traffic and...nothing.

Additionally, this is just a wickedly annoying fault in an expensive performance car. If I go pick up some cheap econobox, I still wouldn't accept this problem, but could understand its existence a little better. I cannot understand it in a $70K M3.
although you do have the occasional owner who's willing to "live with the issue" and downplay the problem -

M3-DCT owners with "lag" issues are a bunch of whiny prissies. Wah wah wah, "its dangerous ... its a hazard," boo hoo hoo, I feel so sorry for you that you're driving the car that (still) allows BMW to have the slogan "ultimate driving machine."

You know what I say? "Bayerische Motoren Werke AG ... EXCELLENT WORK, I LOVE MY 09 M3 COUPE!"

I know this is a soon-to-be-retired post, but I have good reason for this post. Early this morning, I took my 09 M3 Coupe in for its first real servicing at approximately 14000 miles. Its going in for an oil change, check of the rear differential fluid, and, what has now become (in)famous, a DCT software update.

The BMW dealer gave me a loaner, an 09 335i convertible 6-AT. I'm just gonna say it, I'll take my 09 M3 with DCT-lag over any car, any day, forever. Even with the lag, I have gotten so used to the power of my M3, its lightning quick shifts, speed-sensitive steering, exhaust note, hood bulge, and other jet-like features that driving the 335i was like driving Fred Flintstone's car.

So far all you complainers about DCT-lag, you want a cure? Go drive any other car, then ask yourself if a little DCT-lag is THAT difficult to live with. I've gotten used to it. And now after having driven this 335i, the DCT-lag matters so little that I would say my M3 is a near-perfect car.

I will say, I'm hopeful that my DCT-lag issue goes away with this latest software update. However, if after a few weeks, DCT-lag rears its ugly head again, I don't care. Women have all sorts of issues and we still keep them around. If my M3's only issue is DCT-lag, then I'll keep my M3 around too.

This is how I feel everytime I get out of M3 coupe everyday ...
Old 12-07-10, 10:33 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually think the e92 M3 is pretty reliable.

I think the DCT ones are more prone to problems, if I were to buy a M3 it would be a stripped 6MT with no Navi.
Old 12-07-10, 10:44 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

if the only problems lexus has relate to wind noise or creaking, that is pretty much as good as it gets for me. sure, there can be problems that are correctable under warranty, but once that warranty expires...ouch! this m3 guy barely had his car and already problems, which should be ok for now.

as far as the "Women have all sorts of issues and we still keep them around. If my M3's only issue is DCT-lag, then I'll keep my M3 around too" post- horrible justification for keeping an m3. i'd feel embarassed if i drove an m3 and it broke down with my woman in the car. guy should be worried about her keeping him around...
Old 12-07-10, 11:49 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Appears the DCT lag issued has been resolved with latest software update.
Old 12-08-10, 12:31 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Appears the DCT lag issued has been resolved with latest software update.
You might be right. The latest posts in that thread appear to suggest as much, at least.
Old 12-08-10, 03:46 AM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another reason why I sold my E46 M3 and got the ISF
Old 12-08-10, 04:28 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

You might be right. The latest posts in that thread appear to suggest as much, at least.
There was a stalling issue with it at one point...
Lexus' are reliable...Between the battle of the 3 compact-luxury sports sedans
(M3/C63/ISF) the ISF has the least rework woes.
Old 12-08-10, 04:54 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha. I skimmed through the thread and found this on the last page

"The BMW dealer gave me a loaner, an 09 335i convertible 6-AT. I'm just gonna say it, I'll take my 09 M3 with DCT-lag over any car, any day, forever. Even with the lag, I have gotten so used to the power of my M3, its lightning quick shifts, speed-sensitive steering, exhaust note, hood bulge, and other jet-like features that driving the 335i was like driving Fred Flintstone's car."

Man Some people just crack me up lol
Old 12-08-10, 05:02 AM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

^^That was the same sentiment when I told the crowd at M3forum that I ditched my M3 for an ISF...

Some people want to drive an M3 so much that they're willing to put up with stupid quality issues and taking their car to the shop all the time.
Old 12-08-10, 06:42 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
if the only problems lexus has relate to wind noise or creaking, that is pretty much as good as it gets for me. sure, there can be problems that are correctable under warranty, but once that warranty expires...ouch! this m3 guy barely had his car and already problems, which should be ok for now.

as far as the "Women have all sorts of issues and we still keep them around. If my M3's only issue is DCT-lag, then I'll keep my M3 around too" post- horrible justification for keeping an m3. i'd feel embarassed if i drove an m3 and it broke down with my woman in the car. guy should be worried about her keeping him around...
I experienced/noticed high wind noise in the F the first day I bought it. Much louder than the is250. Turns out the weather stripping around the windshield had dry rotted. I took it to the dealership, they replaced the weather stripping, and the wind noise is much more subtle now.
Old 12-08-10, 07:08 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Ironically the M3 is supposed to be one of their most reliable models.
Old 12-08-10, 07:15 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You guys have to remember we always hear about the problems more than the good things with any product as those are the people who complain and bring it to light....

I have tons of friends / clients with e92 m3's and not a single problem. You can't single out one story and use it to justify a brand's reliability across the board.

My e46 m3 I took delivery in 02 - owned it 7 years and never a single problem when I eventually sold it to a new owner after putting about 50k on her.

Our e93 m3 is been trouble-free too

I love both car platforms for different reasons and there's no reason to bash one car or the other as it only makes you sound immature.

The Ferrari 458 Italia had engine fire issues but I don't see that stopping anyone from writing checks for one. If I had the means to get one I certainly won't hesitate to have one in my stable.

Quick Reply: This is one of reason why purchased 2011ISF