IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Does the ISF attract Boy Racers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-10, 07:27 AM
maj75
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Does the ISF attract Boy Racers?

I am new to the ISF, drove a C6 and a GS460 before the IS-F. Never had the experiences that I have had in the last week of driving the IS-F.

Seems like every time I drive this car, somebody wants to race. I have had everything from Chevy Cobalts to 911s and 3 series BMWs try to start something. I got dive bombed by a Cobalt three times today. On the highway, pull even and race ahead 2-3 car lengths, drop back 20 lengths and then go speeding by. Good thing that I am older and more mature than I used to be, now I can resist the temptation to start a street race where I have a lot more to lose than they do.

Anyone else notice this?
Old 12-10-10, 07:45 AM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a few people tail gate me because I refuse to drive more than 5mph over the speed limit in the city. I just ignore them.

I don't understand why some people expect drivers of fast cars to speed and drive aggressively.
Old 12-10-10, 08:20 AM
maj75
Driver

That's traffic in Miami, no matter what you are driving

I have what I call the "UM Corollary"

If the car has a bunch of University of Miami crap on it, the driver is driving like a jerk.

Almost always true, especially for drivers who never actually attended "the U."
Old 12-10-10, 08:29 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a thing with miami my friend. Its kinda funny actually.
Old 12-10-10, 08:40 AM
maj75
Driver

The Cobalt was actually on the turnpike in Broward. No UM stuff But he was headed towards Miami.
Old 12-10-10, 10:00 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

my F tends to get some attention from other racers on the streets. im with mugenh22a4- though i have a fast car, it doesn't necessarily mean i have to drive fast ALL the time or speed recklessly when there's really nothing to prove. once i was a two lane stop light. a c63 (gray with black stripes on the hood) pulls up and rolls down his window to ask if i wanna go. i told him no (had my four year old cousin sleeping in her car seat), and immediately he starts clucking like chicken. he proceeds to rev his engine, but there was no egging me on. little did he know there was a sheriff, not just a city cop, right behind me, and he knew who to write up for exhibition of speed, even if it just was an attempt to. the chicken gets pulled over, and i go on my way. if i wanted to race someone, i'll take it to the track- no exceptions. it just isn't worth it with too many dangers potentially lurking.
Old 12-10-10, 10:16 AM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
my F tends to get some attention from other racers on the streets. im with mugenh22a4- though i have a fast car, it doesn't necessarily mean i have to drive fast ALL the time or speed recklessly when there's really nothing to prove. once i was a two lane stop light. a c63 (gray with black stripes on the hood) pulls up and rolls down his window to ask if i wanna go. i told him no (had my four year old cousin sleeping in her car seat), and immediately he starts clucking like chicken. he proceeds to rev his engine, but there was no egging me on. little did he know there was a sheriff, not just a city cop, right behind me, and he knew who to write up for exhibition of speed, even if it just was an attempt to. the chicken gets pulled over, and i go on my way. if i wanted to race someone, i'll take it to the track- no exceptions. it just isn't worth it with too many dangers potentially lurking.
Haha, gotta love it when a protagonist gets pulled over for not noticing a cop.

During one of my morning commutes, I was being tailgated by a BMW 3 Series whose driver was annoyed I wouldn't go faster than 45 in a 40 zone. He rode my bumper for a good mile when I decided to get him back. While approaching a curve that's a well-known cop hiding spot, I gently slow down back to 40, he scoots over to the passing lane and speeds up to ~55 to "show me." Sure enough, there was a cop hiding in a driveway up ahead. Lights came on, end of story.

I don't know why some people feel the need to have a pissing contest with every car they see as competition on the road. I can understand the occassional "speed up to merge in" move when necessary, but some drivers need to deflate their chests when they get behind the wheel.
Old 12-10-10, 10:38 AM
Splat
Lead Lap

It's Miami driving in general. And if your Latin or have been to south America you will understand why they drive like they do.
Old 12-10-10, 10:40 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

With the F there are both sides of the equation. I was driving in the F with my wife and 2 kids in car seats in the back when I got chased down and rev'd on by a Boy Racer in a black ISF! Of course I just ignored him.
Old 12-10-10, 10:41 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

when ever i see an IS-F i tend to drive side by side with them just to stare at them. I hope im not giving the false impression that i want to race haha
Old 12-10-10, 11:06 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Yeah, this is what I get from other ISF drivers. They just stare or don't notice, no acknowledgement or anything. I wait for others to initiate a gesture, but nothing so far.

When I had an 2008 STi, acknowledgement galore from other STi and WRX drivers. Demographics are noticeably different, but that goes without saying

Originally Posted by edgeucated
when ever i see an IS-F i tend to drive side by side with them just to stare at them. I hope im not giving the false impression that i want to race haha
Old 12-10-10, 11:48 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maj75
I am new to the ISF, drove a C6 and a GS460 before the IS-F. Never had the experiences that I have had in the last week of driving the IS-F.

Seems like every time I drive this car, somebody wants to race. I have had everything from Chevy Cobalts to 911s and 3 series BMWs try to start something. I got dive bombed by a Cobalt three times today. On the highway, pull even and race ahead 2-3 car lengths, drop back 20 lengths and then go speeding by. Good thing that I am older and more mature than I used to be, now I can resist the temptation to start a street race where I have a lot more to lose than they do.

Anyone else notice this?
Wow, what a topic. Thanks for putting this phenomenon into words b/c i get this all the time. Exactly, as you put it, but only in Chicago..! It can be very amusing at times. I think the F is a legend to every boy racer out there. I was stupid once and did race one, but no more. It gets very funny some times observing their dumb boy racer acts in attempt to provoke me.
Old 12-10-10, 11:59 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mugenh22a4
Haha, gotta love it when a protagonist gets pulled over for not noticing a cop.

During one of my morning commutes, I was being tailgated by a BMW 3 Series whose driver was annoyed I wouldn't go faster than 45 in a 40 zone. He rode my bumper for a good mile when I decided to get him back. While approaching a curve that's a well-known cop hiding spot, I gently slow down back to 40, he scoots over to the passing lane and speeds up to ~55 to "show me." Sure enough, there was a cop hiding in a driveway up ahead. Lights came on, end of story.

I don't know why some people feel the need to have a pissing contest with every car they see as competition on the road. I can understand the occassional "speed up to merge in" move when necessary, but some drivers need to deflate their chests when they get behind the wheel.
Brilliant , I thought I was the only one that did this. I've done this many times before. I'd say my success rate (depends on whether or not a cop is actually present in said speed trap) is about 3-5% overall. Better than nothing I suppose.

In the city I drive no more than 5 MPH over the speed limit. On 60 MPH+ freeways/highways, I'll drive no more than 10 MPH over the speed limit.

On major interstates, I'll drive only as fast as the cars in the fast lane are going. If I am "leading the charge," so to speak, I'll drive no faster than 85 MPH in the fast lane (either 15 or 20 MPH over the limit in most areas). If I am driving 85 MPH in the fast lane and I am being tailgated, I'll happily move over to the slow lane to allow the individual to pass. Usually this won't happen, though. 85 is usually sufficiently fast enough to lead in the fast lane. I think once or twice I've encountered a mustang (not even the 5.0, but the old 200 HP v6 (the "tell" being the single exhaust pipe)) coming up at 100 MPH+ behind me.
Old 12-10-10, 12:03 PM
djsai
Lexus Test Driver

lol, It;s weird ricers who see me a when they are mile behind me gunn it to catch up then when i slow down they dont want to race..lol...but I drive like i stole the car..and people i race i usually get a thumbs up.
Old 12-10-10, 02:22 PM
PHXF
Driver

I've had my share of a-holes trying to race in dangerous situations...that's for sure.

Quick Reply: Does the ISF attract Boy Racers?