IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F x Porsche GT3 video released

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-10, 02:57 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stick
It's a video about the wheels and rwd (drift) v awd (grip). It's not a car comparison.

Did everyone miss this?
GT3 is a rwd car fyi..
Old 12-22-10, 05:36 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Sorry, but it's not all horsepower. I'd bet a lot of money a very stock GT3 will still hand you your butt on a road course. I've got a few laps in a 2004 as a passenger, and suffice it to say, there are few street legal tools as focused on getting around a track fast as the GT3.
well crap. I've read enough of your stuff to know you know a hell of a lot more than I do about this.
Does anyone know if developers are working on making the F more competitive/track ready? I was reading up on the GT3, and the damn thing only weighs 3,051 lbs! Is that mainly attributed to the F being a 4-dr sedan and the GT3 being 2-dr coupe?

hughncali, I've experienced that same issue a couple of times. I'll stop the car and turn it off, or even put it in park and turn it off, and it still turns back on as soon as I begin trying to drift. Annoying, but I guess it is a safety thing so I deal with it.
Old 12-22-10, 08:09 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Im pretty sure the video says ISF x GT3 not ISF vs GT3. lol
Dont want to start a off topic discussion but the GT3 is not particularly quick around a track. It is consistent, but for the price is nowhere near the quickness of its competitors as a dedicated sports car.
meh. Anyone who believes the GT3 wouldn't knock the IS F down and steal it's lunch money is kidding himself. Both are great cars, but the F is no match for the GT3.

I grew up with dirt short track racing. Drift doesn't do much for me. I've seen some incredibly skilled drivers actually racing while driving sideways, not just putting on a show for style points.
Old 12-22-10, 10:06 AM
Fitment Factory
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amazing video!
Old 12-22-10, 10:56 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by hughncali
The GT3 did outperform the IS-F on the track with the same driver. On the IS-F, the traction control kept turning on AFTER it was turned off, which didn't help with the drifting scenes. Both are fun cars to have.
Doesn't sound like it was completely Turned Off...

Press button once turns Off TRAC, only until you hit 30 mph or so, then Trac turns back on.

Pres button once and hold for 3 seconds Turns OFF TRAC & VSC...

It does NOT turn back on unless the button is hit again or the car is turned off and then back on..

Regards,

Joe Z
Old 12-22-10, 11:45 AM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is sooo funny. A great video is posted with good audio and some nice effects. Then people immediately assume that this is a post about comparing the 2 cars. Where on earth did anyone come to the conclusion that this is what this video was about? I suggest people view the video before posting arguments about which car would kill who on the track. I guess that is what a forum is for. It seems people are eager to start arguments on forums these days. Ok, Ok I'm done. Happy holidays. (please don't let that start another rant topic).
Old 12-22-10, 11:50 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by fleadog99
This is sooo funny. A great video is posted with good audio and some nice effects. Then people immediately assume that this is a post about comparing the 2 cars. Where on earth did anyone come to the conclusion that this is what this video was about? I suggest people view the video before posting arguments about which car would kill who on the track. I guess that is what a forum is for. It seems people are eager to start arguments on forums these days. Ok, Ok I'm done. Happy holidays. (please don't let that start another rant topic).
Drift vs Grip x Lexus IS-F x Porsche GT3 - In Sixth Gear (ISG)

The Video is to "show us" the ISG Wheels in action.....

LoL

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 12-22-10 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-22-10, 11:53 AM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
The Video is to "show" the ISG Wheels in action.....

LoL

Joe Z
My thoughts exactly. I could not understand how a Wheel Showcase Video turns into a debate over IS-F VS GT-3 on the track.
Old 12-22-10, 12:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Lemme see here, what does VS. mean? Oh, yeah VERSUS, which means a competition. So, I guess my reading comprehension is hurting me here...
Old 12-22-10, 01:28 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Lemme see here, what does VS. mean? Oh, yeah VERSUS, which means a competition. So, I guess my reading comprehension is hurting me here...
Normally I agree with most of things you say on here but apart from the title being off by saying grip vs. drift or whatever it was there is nothing in that video that would lead anyone to believe that this was even a half hearted attempt at comparing the 2 cars.

Most on here know that the GT3 is a superior track weapon to the IS F as well as a host of other cars. I don't believe anything in that video or the original post says or suggests otherwise.

Enjoy it for what it is..........or don't.
Old 12-22-10, 08:01 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

It's a video about the wheels and rwd (drift) v awd (grip). It's not a car comparison.

Did everyone miss this?
I guess everyone missed the part about awd as none of the cars in the video have all wheel drive. A good driver can drift a 911, it just takes more skill. But I have never understood the appeal of drifting anyway, its the slowest way around a road course. If the wheels are spinning they are not putting power down.
Old 12-23-10, 07:30 PM
hughncali
Rookie

Two different cars with two different driving styles. This video was not intended to compare the two. Enjoy guys and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-23-10, 11:42 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

Originally Posted by fleadog99
This is sooo funny. A great video is posted with good audio and some nice effects...
Old 12-24-10, 03:19 AM
kickhard
Pole Position

Did everyone miss this?
HUH you for sure missed what this video was about. Its a promo about the wheels.

BOTH CARS ARE RWD. Both can be "drifted" but the ISF probably is a bit easier to do
Old 12-24-10, 09:07 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen that IS-F in person at Lexus of Westminster for some kind of service. Awesome set up and sounds reeeaaallly aggressive in person.

Quick Reply: IS-F x Porsche GT3 video released