IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Product Review: Tokico HTS Damper - IS F

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-10, 01:37 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
I had a SPAX set up years ago with out indents also and it was definitely a downside. counting your turns and hoping they come out the same on both sides is not as easy as it sounds when you are lying on your back under the car with a screwdriver in your hand.
Not just that, but variable adjustments will never be as accurate even if you get the **** to the same spot. There is a reason why whenever you work with something that has infinite variable control, you cannot assume the position it is at is exactly what it says.

Even though I don't worship damper *****, I wish Tokico used clickers instead.
Old 12-23-10, 07:29 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350atWOT
These sound great. I've about had all I can stand from my stock 2010 suspension. I am having problems accessing their site. How much for a set?
MSRP is $900. But a set can be had for a lot less. Check out some of the popular online retailers for pricing.

Very nice and complete write-up! Thanks. My questions are, what is being given up by losing the monotube design, does the one size fits all shock valving theory work when going to the heavier ISF, how much of your experience is because of the Eibach spring? I would much rather know the improvement of the shock coupled with the stock springs What are the rate differences in the springs, are the Eibachs progressive or linear? Stock?
There are some pros and cons to monotube and twin tube. Twin tube is older tech but with monotube designs, they are more modern and allow higher higher pressures, which generally deliver harsher rides. Unfortunately the Monotube oem shock for the ISF is non adjustable so the ride is harsh. My experience runs from a series of setups on my previous cars. Tein, Tanabe, JIC, HKS and of course Tokico & Bilstein. I was thinking really hard to only have the shocks installed, but I was getting sick of the high tire gap of the stock springs. Pro kits are progressive wound. As far as spring rates, i'll have to get back to you on that.

Originally Posted by GSteg
That's the only real downside I see
Yeah i'm not too happy about that. I like having detents rather than guessing.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Nice write up Ryan..!!!

I am actually very surprised to see them use the same exact part# as the IS250/IS350..?

I would have thought for sure, they would have had to tweak them a bit to handle the IS-F Specifications..

Glad to hear they are working Great!!!

Joe Z
Specs between the regular IS 350 and IS F are not that far off. Since my car spends 99% of the time on the streets, the weight difference between the F is about 250 lbs. Sure it's a difference, but the shock dampening curve for the HTS was engineered to encompass a larger range.

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
Very nice writeup and thanks for stepping up to be the tester for these. They sound like a great product. Do you have anymore information on pricing or release or should interested buyers shoot Clark a message? Also, since you put the Eibach's on these dampers, I'm assuming you can put the Teins as well with no problems? Thanks again!
The shocks are in stock at Tokico's main US distribution warehouse in Kentucky. You can use any aftermarket springs with these. You can even use the stock springs. Yes you can utilize the retailer mentioned in my write up.

Originally Posted by Supraman16
I was actually thinking the same thing...I would be very hesistant to try a product that designed for the IS250/350 on the IS-F. I would want a product designed for the IS-F specifically. I'm wondering if these shocks will hold up in the long run to the additional weight and stress of the IS-F...Darshana S...
Trust me, I was hesitant at first, but i'm pretty sure Tokico is not in a position to ruin their rep. They make majority of the OEM shocks for Lexus and Toyota. They even do the suspension for LFA. Their engineers know a thing or two about these cars. Of course Toyota has specific specs for Tokico to build but their aftermarket shocks are very reputable. I've had these shocks on my car for about 7 months now. I've driven them hard a few times. I had it set on full stiff at one time just to try out and I was able to drift out the rear pretty easy. These shocks are designed to run with lowering springs in mind so the added weight and force on these shocks were already considered before putting these shocks on my ISF.

Originally Posted by FIGS

Keep in mind I am seeing these(HTS117) in the $750 range. Add a set of springs and you are right at the cost for some monotube BC coilovers. The ride height adjustment alone is worth it for the coilovers IMO. And Coilovers do not need to be harsh, just get them without pillowballs and keep your drop limited to stock and retain the longer travel.

Not to take away from your review Ryan because I think there is still applications for the more compliant design. People should just clearly define their goals and make their decision of what they truly value, comfort, longevity or performance/precision. There is some area of overlap in the middle between the two solutions, its the extremes that you need to consider. Having a lifetime warranty is a pretty nice option sometimes...well if you do not have to pay for shipping that is
Not to take away from BC, one can opt to buy a budget coilover but i'm more about reputation and long term longevity. Not to say that BC is a bad company, but brand reputation is important for me when it comes to selecting replacement parts for my Lexus. Tokicos history is pretty extensive as BC is a fairly new company from Taiwan. I'm a firm believer that you gotta pay to play.

Honestly I did consider going with coilovers as options for my ISF, but the main reason why I didn't go with them was the fact that I drive a lot of miles. Coilovers are not really a practical option for me as they need to be rebuilt regularly to perform properly. Height adjustment really isn't an issue for me because of all the coilover setups i've owned, i've only adjusted the height once. I've left the same height (after a few adjustments of course) until I pulled them off the car. Of course everyone's needs different but coilovers are overkill for a regular street car. But at the same time 416 hp is also.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
This is precisely why I marvel at people who say they change the damping from "street" to "track". Either it works, or it doesn't. Both venues have the same goal - keep the tire in contact with the road surface more often than not. So the "right" damping for a spring is probably going to be right regardless of where you are. The only thing about street is, you usually want a lower natural frequency for ride comfort, but this is a combination of spring and damping rates.

I ran Tokico aftermarket shocks on my '88 GTS Corolla. Definitely better than stock for my purposes, but also not narrowly focused on performance either.
True, there are specific suspension setups for specific needs. Most people here are not hardcore racers. And if there are competition racers here, chances are they have a purpose built track car for that. I'm just sharing an option here for those looking for flexibility. You can certainly adjust the settings from a street setup to track. The HTS is Tokico's newest premium offering. The dampening rates encompass a pretty wide range. Taka Ueno runs the HTS Dampers on his AE86 Corolla which he also drifts. This is his suspension of choice. Which Tokicos did you run on your AE86?

Last edited by flipside909; 12-23-10 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-29-10, 08:46 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dealer installation

I'm not sure I would have anyone but the dealer install them. My dealer (Parker Lexus of Little Rock) quoted 720$ labor plus a 99$ alignment to install these shocks. I'm still contemplating having it done. I miss the smoother ride of my IS350.
Old 01-03-11, 03:34 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Yeah your best bet would be to find a qualified mechanic to install these. Lexus will charge more because they charge their hours by "book time" per shock and labor rates in the range of $100/hr to $150/hr.
Old 01-04-11, 09:29 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Default Making Adjustments

How hard is it to make adjustments to the shocks? (do you crawl under the car; need special tools; etc.)
Old 01-04-11, 12:15 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

How hard is it to make adjustments to the shocks? (do you crawl under the car; need special tools; etc.)
The fronts are easy. You pop off the engine covers and twist the **** at the top of the shock tower.

The rears you will need to pull back on the inner quarter trim to access the rear shocks. You can modify the inner trim by cutting a circle or slit to access the top of the shocks.
Old 01-06-11, 06:00 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Okay so clarification from Tokico states that the HTS dampers are MONOTUBE design, just like the stock IS F shocks. Correction to be made on my article.

MONOTUBE!
Old 01-07-11, 09:12 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

that is more like it ^^
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 01-07-11, 10:13 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Okay so clarification from Tokico states that the HTS dampers are MONOTUBE design, just like the stock IS F shocks. Correction to be made on my article.

MONOTUBE!
OK, now that is a big difference.
Old 01-07-11, 10:22 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
The fronts are easy. You pop off the engine covers and twist the **** at the top of the shock tower.

The rears you will need to pull back on the inner quarter trim to access the rear shocks. You can modify the inner trim by cutting a circle or slit to access the top of the shocks.
Or, get these for the rear: http://www.good-win-racing.com/mazda...60-1144NC.html
then you only need to make a small incision in the trim to pass through the adjuster one time.

Old 01-07-11, 11:56 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Or, get these for the rear: http://www.good-win-racing.com/mazda...60-1144NC.html
then you only need to make a small incision in the trim to pass through the adjuster one time.

It's funny you mention this because Tokico gave me a set of those extenders to install for the rears. I haven't put them on yet but hope to do so when I have some free time.
Old 01-12-11, 09:05 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Default Improve Track Time?

I wonder if you set these shocks to their stiffest setting, would you have faster lap times at the track?
Old 01-12-11, 10:35 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Probably not. Using compression damping to substitute for inadequate spring rate isn't very effective. Unnecessarily stiff suspensions are usually much slower than overly soft suspensions. You might not like how the soft one feels, but odds are it will be faster and easier to drive fast.
Old 01-12-11, 12:19 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder if you set these shocks to their stiffest setting, would you have faster lap times at the track?
actually... it kind of depends on a few things...
the track conditions, the driver's style... to name a few...

i mean, if the track is SUPER smooth then it may work well...
Old 01-13-11, 10:02 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by HyperMKIV
actually... it kind of depends on a few things...
the track conditions, the driver's style... to name a few...

i mean, if the track is SUPER smooth then it may work well...
That's very true.

It's all about maximum tire patch contact to the ground. Having the most super stiff suspension doesn't mean best handling/fastest track times. Traction/grip is key.

Quick Reply: Product Review: Tokico HTS Damper - IS F