IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Professionally repainted calipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-10, 02:41 AM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Professionally repainted calipers

How much is a fair price to have someone professionally repaint my calipers?

Talked to a bodyshop which does a lot of exotic cars and they quoted $800, but that includes full caliper disassembly, original paint strip, several layers of paint and clearcoat, painted on logo (stenciled and clearcoated over), brake fluid flush and refill.

Cost seems kinda high but that does seem like a lot of work, and for sure it will look a lot better than any DIY job if I were to tackle it myself. Plus this way I can pick any exotic color I want, not just whatever comes in a spray bottle.

Thoughts?
Old 12-27-10, 04:01 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes that is a bunch of money but, as you've mentioned, you will get a first class job and you won't get your hands dirty.
Old 12-27-10, 06:59 AM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Price will vary to everyone you go to. I've heard some saying $80/caliper. I'm sure quality and the amount of work will vary. $800 I'm sure is on the very high side. But if you only feel confident with these painters and their work then you'll be satisfied with the outcome.

I'll be honest, I just completed mine and it was a piece of cake and I'm no mechanic by any means. More time consume than anything... Cost was $20.
Old 12-27-10, 08:28 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Fair price for a shop?...maybe $100-200. DIY would be like around $20-40.

$800 is wayyy too much. If you plan on showing your car with your wheels off or something (e.g., new brake kit) then maybe $800 is justified. Even if you do a poor DIY job, it should still last you years. Poor meaning poor sanding and cleaning prior to spray paint. But if your time is worth more, then have the shop do it. Just don't tell us you paid $800.....
Old 12-27-10, 01:41 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IceIridium
How much is a fair price to have someone professionally repaint my calipers?

Cost seems kinda high but that does seem like a lot of work and for sure it will look a lot better than any DIY job if I were to tackle it myself. Plus this way I can pick any exotic color I want, not just whatever comes in a spray bottle.
The cost does seem high but it may not be. Shops charge by the hour and the job is going to take a complete disassembly, strip, paint, reassembly and bleed the brake system. That's a lot of hours. Maybe they can give you a quote if they don't remove the calipers from the hoses.

You can also try places that paint custom motorcycles. People are recovering from Christmas and business is slow. See if they'll drop the sales tax if you pay with cash.

Calipers attract rocks and brake dust so get an extra heavy clear coat on them.
Old 12-27-10, 02:59 PM
JeremyS
Driver School Candidate

I got my breaks painted and had decals put on the paint then clear coated for $300 plus the custom paint at $100 ( i went with ultra blue mica..) my car isf's matte black....
Old 12-27-10, 05:01 PM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

If your going to spend over 500 dollar I would look into getting them powder coated much more durable than paint. And shop around before settling on one shop. You can also do them yourself not that hard to do just a little time consuming.
Old 12-27-10, 05:14 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

that's a rip off...just look for more shops...it really should be around 400-500 to re do and reinstall....
Old 12-27-10, 05:22 PM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

If your going to spend over 500 dollar I would look into getting them powder coated much more durable than paint. And shop around before settling on shop. You can also do them yourself, not that hard to do but it is time consuming . Here some pics of my calipers did them myself good luck.
Professionally repainted calipers-dscn6887.jpg

Professionally repainted calipers-dscn6878.jpg

Professionally repainted calipers-dscn6882.jpg

Professionally repainted calipers-dscn6886.jpg
Old 12-27-10, 05:34 PM
MicaISF
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no matter how high quality the job is, it does not change the fact that the calipers are going to be covered with brake dust, road dirt and partially hidden from view. i pay attention to calipers every time i check out a car, i have yet to differentiate a cheap DIY from high quality professional job unless the wheels are off and calipers washed.

if you are not showing your car, it's likely that the only person who will ever pay close attention to your calipers is you.
Old 12-27-10, 06:25 PM
valdeztke
Driver School Candidate

I agree. Grab a bucket (to sit on) a few beers, couple jack stands and kill half a day (somewhere warm) painting them yourself. If you use a brush you really don't even have to take them off.
Old 12-27-10, 07:43 PM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by davcrz5
If your going to spend over 500 dollar I would look into getting them powder coated much more durable than paint. And shop around before settling on one shop. You can also do them yourself not that hard to do just a little time consuming.
I believe in another thread it was determined that powder coating is NOT to be done to our brakes. Painting is what Brembo recommends...
Old 12-28-10, 09:49 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Ask Terrance about his Brembo's...He got his shop to color match- and to me they came out awesome. Just has a completely different look(noticeable)...then taking a brush on kit- or a dupli color spray paint kit and doing it yourself...

One day if I ever decide to change colors of my Brembo's I'll pay the extra $$ to have it done the right way.

But that's just me....
Old 12-28-10, 12:58 PM
drftsoarer
Driver

Brembo says for any of their calipers to not powdercoat them because of the high temps it will reach during the process. They recommend painting them.
Old 12-29-10, 11:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,025 Likes on 2,439 Posts

Brembo also says never remove the pistons from the calipers.

Quick Reply: Professionally repainted calipers