IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

EVO: RS5, M3 Comp, C63 powerkit, IS F

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-10, 09:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
Actually if the ISF or M3 were price higher from the factory would it change the results? I doubt it. Audi as long as I can remember are always prices higher than its competitors in this segment except maybe the Benz on occasions. The Audi probably has a better interior than the rest. I guess I take the price with a grain salt. Built it to compete not to keep the price
i actually still think the isf has the best interior appeal overall though. and audi probably comes second

audi's price is always the highest, and they come down fast too

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lol, nice finds Henry.

The RS5 lost for the same reasons it lost in the CAR comparo. The steering isn't very good and the ride isn't as good as the others and even with all the multiple settings no one can find one that works. It lacks co-cohesiveness. It was by far the worst liked car here.

Seems to me the IS F and C63 was pretty much a tie. They main thing they didn't seem to like was the interior which they felt wasn't as good as the others.

What I find truly odd is EVO had rated the IS F at 5 stars BEFORE the LSD. Now they get a IS F with the LSD, they rave about it, then give it 4.5 stars. lol

The C63 they liked as well for having more power. (but note it lose to the IS F on the track)

The M3 was the most balanced car here and amazingly was the swiftest initially.
i also think the isf and c63 are more like a tie. my guess is the isf was good enough to get 5 stars, but now with the m3 comp and the c63 with powerkit, they get a few more points and thus the isf come down a little?

and yes, c63 losing on the track means one thing, power isn't everything

oh and just throwing this in. so who keeps on saying m3 has no tq and can't be as fast as isf?

Originally Posted by melbitoast
Great read! I love each of these cars, so this was awesome to read!

I recently looked into the C63 AMG. It possesses considerably more HP (over 450), so I'm not surprised by the top end speed. I was surprised by the 4.4 0-60mph though b/c a couple of articles I read had it tested at 3.9. However, those same articles tested the ISF at 4.2.

I'm not sure about the interior comments (compared to the M, anyway). I looked into M's (M3 and M5) before purchasing the ISF, and I believe the interior is much nicer in the F. I have a friend who has a 2008 M3, and he loves the F interior compared to his M. The Mercedes is really, really nice, so I understand that one.
same here, i think isf has better interior, and i have a m3.
Old 12-29-10, 12:04 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To me, the Audi has always had the most beautiful interiors~ I guess it's all subjective

Lexus and the C63 are a pretty close tie depending on what criteria you favor the most for performance and styling.

The m3 has always been the surgical blade, a precise tool and this article continues to show where the m3 shines.

I love all the cars in this article and consider myself fortunate to drive any of them. One thing to keep in mind is I was raised in the midwest and if I still lived there today, it would be a no brainer if I only had one car ~ Audi RS5 all the way!
Old 12-29-10, 12:25 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Horses For Courses

Originally Posted by s4play
To me, the Audi has always had the most beautiful interiors~ I guess it's all subjective

Lexus and the C63 are a pretty close tie depending on what criteria you favor the most for performance and styling.

The m3 has always been the surgical blade, a precise tool and this article continues to show where the m3 shines.

I love all the cars in this article and consider myself fortunate to drive any of them. One thing to keep in mind is I was raised in the midwest and if I still lived there today, it would be a no brainer if I only had one car ~ Audi RS5 all the way!
Another take: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ap-2011-a.html.
Old 12-29-10, 03:04 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
To me, the Audi has always had the most beautiful interiors~ I guess it's all subjective ...................if I still lived there today, it would be a no brainer if I only had one car ~ Audi RS5 all the way!

Now why would you chose the Audi..... It has been so hard since the snow hit the burbs here Rick.......I need to drive my F! Spring can't come soon enough. My SP2s have only about 2Ks on them, but they still loose traction b/c of the cold.
Old 12-29-10, 04:33 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Where do you think my SN came from many many moons ago?

Back then I could only afford one ride and the S4 was simply awesome when we had to commute down I65 in the winters for school....I would take no other car, forget BMW, Mercedes and Lexus RWD's snow tire or no snow tire.

I know how the brutal snow bound winters in Chicago were and how LSD becomes a road full of slush with potholes everywhere!
Old 12-30-10, 06:33 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yes the C63 in the article had 480hp. A monster engine!
Throw in some sikky headers with the JoeZ intake/exhaust and the F is there.....
Old 12-30-10, 06:55 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

^^^
bhp, yes, but I'm not sure to the wheels. From the questions/research I've asked/done, you're looking at about ~95hp gain to the wheels with those 3 additions. Which depending on your individual Dyno results, your resulting hp to the wheels will be around ~450hp. --> I recall a couple of bone stock results averaging 350-365whp.

Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong in my statements here b/c I'm really trying to understand what's going on and not sound stupid.
Old 12-30-10, 08:15 AM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

^^^
bhp, yes, but I'm not sure to the wheels. From the questions/research I've asked/done, you're looking at about ~95hp gain to the wheels with those 3 additions. Which depending on your individual Dyno results, your resulting hp to the wheels will be around ~450hp. --> I recall a couple of bone stock results averaging 350-365whp.

Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong in my statements here b/c I'm really trying to understand what's going on and not sound stupid.
I think those three mods have shown somewhere between a 50 and 60 whp gain...generally bringing the stock ISF power from the 350-360 whp range to the 400-410 whp range. I know that drivetrain power loss is affected by a variety of factors, but my guess is that these mods would result in approx 480 HP at the crank.
Old 12-30-10, 11:18 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

^^^
Awesome, thanks!
Quick question from a dummy: what (if anything) can be done to decrease drivetrain power loss?
Old 12-30-10, 02:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

^^^
Awesome, thanks!
Quick question from a dummy: what (if anything) can be done to decrease drivetrain power loss?
You can make some very small gains by using synthetic lubricants in the gearbox (not an option for the F) and the differential (possible), but, the gains are tiny. Realistically, there's nothing you can do.
Old 12-31-10, 02:42 AM
stick
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You can make some very small gains by using synthetic lubricants in the gearbox (not an option for the F) and the differential (possible), but, the gains are tiny. Realistically, there's nothing you can do.

What about a light weight drive shaft?
Old 12-31-10, 12:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Originally Posted by stick
What about a light weight drive shaft?
Lightweight parts only change inertial resistance. Reducing inertial losses improves acceleration, but doesn't improve the fundamental losses from bearing and seal drag, gear drag, and most importantly, the 90 degree turn the differential imposes on the engine's power. The majority of losses occur in the differential, there's no way around this.