IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Exterior paint protection

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-11, 04:18 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

flip, thanks for reply. I'm familiar with clay. I hope the dealer so prepped the surface before they put the film on - but I'm a bit of a pessimist and my cynicism is generally well earned. However, the service manager at the dealership is a friend so I'll at least determine what they do in that regard locally.

Since the film is fresh I had no plans to touch it. Just concern for how careful to be around the edges since I normally clay before Zaino the first time and then, generally, once every year or so barring (sorry, bad pun) exposure to bad road/tree/bird gunge. I'd assume that wiping parallel to the edge would prevent any possibility of eventual liftoff.

romini, no worries! Soft and clear means I'll be very careful with how I clean it! I tend to keep cars a while (re my previous factory ordered '01 GS430) and that's a long time in which to accumulate scratches!

Bobisf, there'll always be a slightly visible/palpable edge if the entire surface isn't done. It'll be more visible on darker colors in general esp if slight amounts of wax residue build up. Just another reason for remembering that less is more where waxing is concerned........

And thanks to all for info!
Old 01-06-11, 07:01 AM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Worked a clear bra as part of the deal on mine. Dealer sub-contracted the work out to a company who used 3m film. They did the front bumper, hood bikini, fenders to match hood line, and mirrors. Price would have been $600 if not covered as part of my negotiations.

I couldn't be happier knowing I have protection on my black paint, which would show any and every chip and imperfection on other vehicles.

My only concern and I'm not sure if anyone else shares this, but does other people's clear bras, particularly around the bumper area show small stretch marks here and there from where the installer had to stretch and shrink the film? I'm sure it is much easier to notice on a black car than silver and white but I'm just curious. It's really only noticeable up close when you really want to find imperfections.
Old 01-06-11, 08:39 AM
robbys3m3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsg03svt
Worked a clear bra as part of the deal on mine. Dealer sub-contracted the work out to a company who used 3m film. They did the front bumper, hood bikini, fenders to match hood line, and mirrors. Price would have been $600 if not covered as part of my negotiations.

I couldn't be happier knowing I have protection on my black paint, which would show any and every chip and imperfection on other vehicles.

My only concern and I'm not sure if anyone else shares this, but does other people's clear bras, particularly around the bumper area show small stretch marks here and there from where the installer had to stretch and shrink the film? I'm sure it is much easier to notice on a black car than silver and white but I'm just curious. It's really only noticeable up close when you really want to find imperfections.
Mine has small stretch marks like that but they don't bother me b/c you have to be right on top of them to really notice.
Old 01-06-11, 01:27 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I took my car to a shop and had the Ventureshield done along with my Huber Optik window tints at the same place. Full front bumper, headlights, mirrors, partial fenders, partial hood; packaged together with tints, totaled about 800 if I recall correctly.

The same shop is often contracted out by dealers to have protection film done as well, one of those dealers sell only exotic cars.
Old 01-07-11, 08:39 AM
SUPERBRINO
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
900? damn... prices are so regional
yea the place that did mine works on mostly high end vehicles, maserati, bentley, porsche ... im not saying my car comes close but i wanted the best so thats where i went ... they also did a full detail since i wanted a fresh clay and wax before the winter (not included in the $900) when i walked outta there, i would say my bill was just a "tad" over $1300 lol

Old 01-07-11, 06:03 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 27 Posts

Had my head lamps, entire front bumper, entire hood, both front fenders in their entirety, including venting body work that merges with the OEM side skirt, the outside rear view mirrors and the door handle indentations done by these guys: http://premiermobilegroup.com/. Fantastic work in every respect and very expensive. Unless I point it out, no one has been able to tell the film is there. Their work comes with a life-time guarantee.

When I had my car done, they were just completing an ENTIRE Bugatti Veyron. The owner told me the total cost was $16,000!
Old 01-07-11, 08:28 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

If I can buy a Bug, I can fa*t $16k. Kind of a neat idea, though, if you think about it; think of all the money the owner will save on detailing.
Old 01-07-11, 09:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mooretorque
If I can buy a Bug, I can fa*t $16k. Kind of a neat idea, though, if you think about it; think of all the money the owner will save on detailing.
actually with clear bra, the surface usually will never be as good as one correctly professionally detailed
Old 01-15-11, 07:30 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Agreed. But he'll also never have to have it done (again, if he can afford the Bug, he can afford detailing it forever). The statement was meant to be gently humorous.