Exterior paint protection

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-11, 11:37 PM
Bobisf
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Exterior paint protection

HI Guys,
Was wondering if anyone got the exterior paint protection film from the dealer.I think it is a dealer installed option to protect against stone chips etc. Not sure if it is 3M or other brand. Is this a better option or a clear bra?where did you purchase a clear bra and wouldn't it cause difference in paint color when taken off(due to light exposure on non-covered area vs covered area?)
Tx
Old 01-05-11, 12:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it's the same thing, they are all clear bra, just from different companies. i don't go with dealership coz' it's always more expensive, and not like they will for sure do better job
Old 01-05-11, 04:59 AM
J2K
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had it installed on my F by a third party vendor about 6 months ago. I went with a 3M film (Venture Tape I believe) and have been happy with the results. It has a UV inhibitor in the film which is supposed to keep the paint from fading and keep the paint protection film from yellowing. The film is very difficult to notice when the car is clean. It cost about $750 for my product and installation, but the peace of mind is worth it. Not having to worry about stone chips, bird droppings, dead bugs, etc... is priceless in my opinion. Here is the installer's website I used for reference (http://invincaman.com/default.htm). It has some decent info.
Old 01-05-11, 08:25 AM
robbys3m3
Driver

I had Ventureshield installed by a shop here in town on my front bumper and have been very happy with it. I wish I would have done the full hood, but now it's too late. I was worried about how the film line would look with our angular hoods had I gone up the hood just a little ways, but if I ever repaint the hood I'm going to have the whole hood done then.
Old 01-05-11, 08:33 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the paint protection film installed at the dealer. It was part of the deal. I'm not sure of the brand, but I know they used a third-party vendor in Little Rock. I believe they told me it was a $400 value. However, they only did the front of the hood and fenders. They did not do the front bumper. I didn't complain since it was no extra cost for me. Overall, I'm really glad I did it and will get it for future cars.
Old 01-05-11, 08:37 AM
Fitment Factory
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Ventureshield is a great product!!
Old 01-05-11, 08:53 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobisf
HI Guys,
Was wondering if anyone got the exterior paint protection film from the dealer.I think it is a dealer installed option to protect against stone chips etc. Not sure if it is 3M or other brand. Is this a better option or a clear bra?where did you purchase a clear bra and wouldn't it cause difference in paint color when taken off(due to light exposure on non-covered area vs covered area?)
Tx
The dealer can use two options with clear bra. Either use the Lexus Accessory clearbra which is usually port installed or can be installed at the dealer, or you have a sublet shop which can do pre-cut or custom cut installs. The only downside to the Lexus Accessory paint protection, it does not wrap over the leading front edge of your hood (where most chips occur). It's a good cut but coverage is still short by about a few mils on all edges. Paint fade is not an issue. Just make sure you properly maintain the painted surface by washing and waxing regularly.
Old 01-05-11, 09:07 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Mine also has the dealer installed option (was actually performed by the Houston dealer and my local dealer traded a black F to get mine). Having seen the coverage (exactly as flip described), I would have passed on the dealer option and gone with something to better cover the hood as well as front bumper and polycarbonate headlight lenses.

But it's there so I'll just Zaino everything to a fare-thee-well.

Anyone have experience using clay bar on the film? Haven't had the opportunity (time/weather) to do the paint and am understandably curious what, if anything, will happen with the film.
Old 01-05-11, 10:17 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by mooretorque

Anyone have experience using clay bar on the film? Haven't had the opportunity (time/weather) to do the paint and am understandably curious what, if anything, will happen with the film.
Clay bar is basically a surface eraser. Nothing will happen to the film nor will it aid it. There's no need to clay bar the film unless you've accumulated tree sap or surface debris that cannot be removed by a regular soap wash. Otherwise, just use a specific plastic protectant like Plexus or similar on the clear bra.
Old 01-05-11, 10:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

and don't polish or put anything abrasive on clear bra, you will regret
Old 01-05-11, 03:45 PM
silky f
Driver

dealership now offers "cilajet" as a form of paint protective sealant....its not film either
Old 01-05-11, 05:37 PM
SUPERBRINO
Pole Position

3m ftw! $900 for full front end, half hood and wheel wells ... 3m is the best for protection against uv and discoloration ... Minez starfire pearl so it was a *must*
Old 01-05-11, 06:17 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by silkyis
dealership now offers "cilajet" as a form of paint protective sealant....its not film either
Cilajet, Permaseal, etc are temporary and eventually wear off after washing and exposure under the sun. That's dealer markup stuff that people should steer clear from.
Old 01-05-11, 06:19 PM
Bobisf
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J2K
I had it installed on my F by a third party vendor about 6 months ago. I went with a 3M film (Venture Tape I believe) and have been happy with the results. It has a UV inhibitor in the film which is supposed to keep the paint from fading and keep the paint protection film from yellowing. The film is very difficult to notice when the car is clean. It cost about $750 for my product and installation, but the peace of mind is worth it. Not having to worry about stone chips, bird droppings, dead bugs, etc... is priceless in my opinion. Here is the installer's website I used for reference (http://invincaman.com/default.htm). It has some decent info.
Thanks for the site info.There are two thicknesses they mention 8mils and 14mils.Which one did you get.. is thicker better? Did you get the whole hood,front bumper and fenders?
When you do half the hood can you see a demarcation or feel a step?Must one use special waxes or polishes? Does it really work?
Thanks to everybody for their opinions and advice.
Old 01-05-11, 06:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by SUPERBRINO
3m ftw! $900 for full front end, half hood and wheel wells ... 3m is the best for protection against uv and discoloration ... Minez starfire pearl so it was a *must*
900? damn... prices are so regional

Quick Reply: Exterior paint protection