IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Wider cross section tire on stock IS-F rims?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 03:26 PM
J2K
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
In other words, the tire height with a particular aspect ratio is not a constant. It is a percentage of the width of the tire and changes (goes up or down) as the width of the tire changes. Thus the width of a 285 or 295 tire with an aspect ratio of 30 is roughly the same height as a 255 tire with an aspect ratio of 35. If we go look at the specs of the Michelin PS2 tire for instance - the OD, Overall Diameter, of a 255/35/19 tire is 26". The 295/30/19 tire is also 26" or exactly the same. Since the stock rear wheel of an F is 10" wide, the 295 tire will not fit (it's too wide). However a 285/30/19 will fit, and the OD of that tire is 25.8" or only .2" shorter than the stock 255 tire.

BTW, I'm running The Continental DW in sizes 245/35/19 in front and 285/30/19 in back with great results.

Lou
Lou - I had my eye on the Conti DW's as they just seem to be one hell of a deal. I know the PS2's are at the top of everyone's list and they are the OEM tires for a reason, but I just have a hard time swallowing that price tag. So, you've had no issues with rubbing whatsoever running that set up? And the ride/grip compare favorably to the stock set up?
Old 01-13-11, 06:01 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,337 Posts

^^^^No rubbing issues at all. As far as ride, IMO, they ride better than the stock PS2s (less noise and less reaction to expansion joints). They handle better, the wider front along with the wider rear lets me take turns faster than I could prior to the change. There's lots more traction from a full throttle stop. Again, IMHO, there is absolutely no down side to the DW in the 245/285 front/rear combo.

Lou
Old 01-14-11, 08:14 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Low,
I have PS2 right now and Im thinking of the Contis DW. How do you think the DW would do (performance wise) vs the PS2 considering I will keep the same sizes front and rear?
Old 01-14-11, 10:53 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,399 Posts

Originally Posted by juice14
Low,
I have PS2 right now and Im thinking of the Contis DW. How do you think the DW would do (performance wise) vs the PS2 considering I will keep the same sizes front and rear?
If you're doing track days, they'll be just as good as anything else. If you're racing for trophies or prize money, you'd better buy the Michelins - or whatever is class legal and stickier.

Absolute performance isn't a big deal for a track weekend. It's everything in a race.
Old 01-14-11, 12:33 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
If you're doing track days, they'll be just as good as anything else. If you're racing for trophies or prize money, you'd better buy the Michelins - or whatever is class legal and stickier.

Absolute performance isn't a big deal for a track weekend. It's everything in a race.
No, Im not really trying to win a prizes n stuff, I just dont wanna loose too much performance, Ive been to the track with crappy tires and its just not even fun. Its more of a "Oh SHHT" experience lol. With the money I save, I'll just get some hoosiers for the track
Or like your sig says, Improve on my driving skills

Last edited by juice14; 01-15-11 at 03:22 AM.
Old 01-15-11, 02:55 PM
J2K
Pole Position

Sorry Lou, but your calcs are wrong. Tire Rack shows the DW turning 811 revolutions per mile and the Bridgestone RE050A for the IS F turning 801. This is a 1.24% difference - even more than the calculated difference using the sizing. So it's more than you think. If resale value is any concern, you're giving away mileage by running a smaller tire. If anything, you'd want slightly larger tires. At least the odometer won't be showing more than actual mileage.

And I did figure out the speedometer/odometer uses only the rear wheels for speed calculations, not the fronts, so front size does not impact speed or distance traveled.
So based on what I'm reading here and from what I've seen on another thread or two in the forum, there is no wider cross section rear tire that will fit on the stock 9" rim and have the exact same 26" OD that the stock set-up has. Since I don't want to go with a smaller OD and overstate mileage unnecessarily.... I'm left with going with a slightly larger OD (which I understand will understate speed/mileage, but this does not concern me).

My main concern is fitment w/o having to shave or roll fenders. If (for example) I go with a 265/35/19 Potenza, the section width on the stock 9" rim would be 11.1" with an OD of 26.6". This would make the tire .6" wider and .6" larger in OD. Is there any sure fire way to know if this will fit on a bone stock F other than buying the tires and going for a test drive? Are there other considerations I'm overlooking? Would this slight increase in width even be worth it?
Old 01-15-11, 11:19 PM
Aberdeen
Driver School Candidate

Hi there,

I am running the Michelin PS2 Plus All Seasons in the larger (245/35/19 front, 285/30/19 rear) setup. I have no issues with them at all and the traction in wet is fantastic.

I looked at tirerack.com on the specs compared to stock and I think this whole extra mileage things is a little overblown. The stock rears are 26" OD and the 285's are 25.8" OD. The rev's per mile are 799 vs. 807. That's about 1% more so on 50,000 miles of driving my odometer will read 50,500. Sorry, but I just can't see that making any difference in value.

Anyway, good luck with the tire choice. Nothing like new ones to put a smile on your face!

David
Old 01-16-11, 07:15 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,337 Posts

Originally Posted by Aberdeen
That's about 1% more so on 50,000 miles of driving my odometer will read 50,500. Sorry, but I just can't see that making any difference in value.

David
A voice of reason I was waiting for someone to figure that out

Lou
Old 04-24-11, 10:50 PM
16n69
Driver School Candidate

Question

Sorry Lou, but your calcs are wrong. Tire Rack shows the DW turning 811 revolutions per mile and the Bridgestone RE050A for the IS F turning 801. This is a 1.24% difference - even more than the calculated difference using the sizing. So it's more than you think. If resale value is any concern, you're giving away mileage by running a smaller tire. If anything, you'd want slightly larger tires. At least the odometer won't be showing more than actual mileage.

And I did figure out the speedometer/odometer uses only the rear wheels for speed calculations, not the fronts, so front size does not impact speed or distance traveled.
Hi...
"If anything, you'd want slightly larger tires."
and what would be an example of the above...
What would be the optimal widest tires/wheels and not skew the OD/mi...at least would show less miles than MORE.
Actually, I am a bit more "old school"...and happen to like the look a taller sidewall, more tire and less wheel.
What would be the "tallest-wider tire on say an 18" wheel, instead of a 19"...that would not affect odometer / speedometer much, be?
If you go 1 inch less on the wheel...does that mean you can use, say, a 40 sidewall, as in 245/40 in front & 275/40 on the rear?

To be truthful...I am agonizing over getting rid of my IS-F in favor of a 2012 BMW M3...'cause I cannot stand the narrow wheel/tires of the F...and M3's can have monsters tires...not to mention the wonderful Hi-revving engine and the new DCT tranny...I wish Lexus would put a dual clutch auto-manual in the IS-F...would truly make it faster.

Last edited by 16n69; 04-24-11 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-24-11, 11:25 PM
16n69
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 16n69
Hi...
What would be the optimal widest tires/wheels and not skew the OD/mi...at least would show less miles than MORE.
Actually, I am a bit more "old school"...and happen to like the look a taller sidewall, more tire and less wheel.
What would be the "tallest-wider tire on say an 18" wheel, instead of a 19"...that would not affect odometer / speedometer much, be?
If you go 1 inch less on the wheel...does that mean you can use, say, a 40 sidewall, as in 245/40 in front & 275/40 on the rear?

To be truthful...I am agonizing over getting rid of my IS-F in favor of a 2012 BMW M3...'cause I cannot stand the narrow wheel/tires of the F...and M3's can have monsters tires...not to mention the wonderful Hi-revving engine and the new DCT tranny...I wish Lexus would put a dual clutch auto-manual in the IS-F...would truly make it faster.
oh forgot...also, do these "sizes" vary specific to or between tire brands?
Old 04-25-11, 10:53 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

It seems you are having buyer's remorse. MY suggestion is you trade it in for a 2012 M3. Also, from the your two posts that I accidentally read, I reckon you love M3's.
Be true to yourself, if you love blondes do not go for brunettes to settle..

Originally Posted by 16n69
Hi...